PC Gaming News

Ventrilo/TeamSpeak newb here, help meee

Okay, I have a few questions about these programs...

1. I know that Ventrilo is free, but is TeamSpeak free?
    2. Which one is better in terms of overall quality and functionality?
    Last edited by this_barb; 13-05-2005 at 18:55.

Quote Originally Posted by this_barb
    Okay, I have a few questions about these programs...

1. I know that Ventrilo is free, but is TeamSpeak free?
    2. Which one is better in terms of overall quality and functionality?
    They're both more or less the same. I think they use the same codecs. However, I've always liked Ventrilo. I think the TS Servers are free, whereas theres an 8 slot limit or something for ventrilo serves unless you buy the license (Or get a vent server company). Ventrilo's the most primarily used in Counterstrike teams.

maguuma
    They are both free, if you host it on your computer. Vent will limit the number of people connected to your server, but TS will not. I prefer TS because I can limit how much bandwidth it sucks up :)

mufdurf
    you can also rent a server from me for cheap at http://hthosting.net

torque
    coming from a very competitive background in cs and cod, vent is way better than TS. offers more codecs, easier to use, and is alot less laggy. Buying a vent server is very cheap as well, and you have great control over it.

Hannah J
    TS looks ugly. :D

entoke
    I host a ventrilo server and its very easy to setup and host.
    The neweer versions of ventrilo got a 8player limit unless you pay (and then you have to be a company) but you can just get the old version from somewere else (like 2.1.0).

Quote Originally Posted by entoke
    I host a ventrilo server and its very easy to setup and host.
    The neweer versions of ventrilo got a 8player limit unless you pay (and then you have to be a company) but you can just get the old version from somewere else (like 2.1.0).
    I have Ventrilo Pro I can hold 25 slots. Feel free to join.
    My connection information is

Server Name: Foxfire
    Server IP: 67.19.104.10
    Server Port 8477

My clan gets ventrilo by leaving idlers on MIRC for sponsor teams chat, very easy to get a vent channel for free that way :D .

adderek
    I've been using both Ventrilo and Teamspeak.
    There are many apps for VoIP. You can try group chats in them if you want to.
    If you are going to use VoIP in LAN I recomend ventrilo.
    Both are available as binary currently.
    I'm using ventrilo as not many people are using is in my LAN (less than 8 people at once) and lag is acceptable.

Below you will find pros (+) and cons (-) for both ventrilo (V) and teamspeak (T).

-V,+T Ventrilo client works with windows ans MacOSX while Teamspeak client works with windows, MacOSX (unofficial) and Linux.

+V,-T Ventrilo server is available for more OS'es than Teamspeak.

-V,+T Ventrilo "free" supports up to 8 listeners per server instance while Teamspeak can do 100 at once.

+V,-T Teamspeak has bigger lag than Ventrilo.

+V,-T I noticed that Ventrilo is updated more often.

+V,-T Ventrilo is simplier than Teamspeak.... however some people won't agree.