PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Desirus

ME/ELE? Stupid idea?

i was thinking of making a mesmer/elementalist. I would use prity much all mesmer skills but i just thought some extra dammage would come in handy. I was first thinking of making a me/warrior but it seemed like i would take too much dammage in melee.

So what would be the advantages of having an elemental subclass? and what skills would be useful?

GWOnline.Net Member
    I can't see why it'd be a bad idea to pick those professions, honestly. Having Elementalist as your secondary could add damage, as you said, but also some defense. If you want damage, Fire or Air are good bets. Fire has lots of AoE to choose from and Air has good single-target attacks. Air has a knockdown, Gale, and blinding as well. If you want more defense, Earth has some nice stuff. Armour of Earth and Obsidian Flesh are great, although they slow you down. Actually, Earth has a lot of things. Single-target damage, AoE, knockdown, protection... Water, I'm not familiar with. I believe it's as much of a mixed bag as Earth is but with the added bonus of having a lot of slows.

What skills you want depends entirely upon the rest of your build, and wether you want your Elementalist spells to support your strengths or make up for your weaknesses. Glyph of Lesser Energy could be good if you have Mesmer spells that cost more than 15 Energy. Aura of Restoration could also be useful, if you have no other way of healing yourself.

I hope I didn't skip anything important and that all this was of some use.

this is actually where the mesmer's primary attribute becomes really handy.

If you have fast casting, fire spells will cast faster, meaning you can deal alot more damage in a set amount of time.

Arcane echo can duplicate your spells, several times i casted meteor shower consecutively, and man was it devastating.

Aside from attunement, you have energy tap or energy drain to replenish your energy supply. If needed

Thats just one example

GWOnline.Net Member
    So does fast casting work for all spells, mesmer or not? And how much does it reduce casting time?

Im busy deciding whether to have a M/E or an E/M. Either go for fast casting (depends on what it affects) or additional energy (basically double base energy pool).

Barstool
    Yes, fast casting affects all spells, even those of your secondary profession.

To make it effective, however, you have to invest fairly heavily in it. I have only noticed a significant difference from other players' casting speeds after about 6 points into it. Also, if you are going to be using mainly short-duration spells, go for E/Me for the Energy Storage; Fast Casting only really shines when combined with long-casting spells.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Just a thought, does fast casting reduce casting time or recovery time? because most spells that i would use are between 1 and 3 seconds casting time, and 3 seconds isnt that long for someone on the fringes.

Also i notice that many are quite energy expensive, and i would rather not use inspiration magic, as i prefer the effects of the other types.

here is a fastcast table:
    http://www.guildwarsguru.com/content...ing-id1177.php

yes fast casting affects every spell you have primary or secondary, mesmer or not.

not true that fastcasting only shines in long casting spells. fastcasting doesn't take much from short-casting spells but think of it this way, if you can use it more times that a long casting spell, it would still be a huge diff. Think of it this way, at 9 FC my chaos storm doesnt even show a charge bar anymore, my chara just does the cast animation n dpoof it goes

no FC does not reduce recovery time but there is a skill you can use that is linked to how much FC you have and it will improve your skills' recharge time greatly.

The only advantage of ME/E...

Quote Originally Posted by Desirus
    i was thinking of making a mesmer/elementalist. I would use prity much all mesmer skills but i just thought some extra dammage would come in handy. I was first thinking of making a me/warrior but it seemed like i would take too much dammage in melee.

So what would be the advantages of having an elemental subclass? and what skills would be useful?

The only advantage of having Elementalist as your secondary profession that I've found so far is...

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desirus
    and what skills would be useful?
    It would be really good if you picked elementalist spells that interrupted what your opponents were doing. Since do to fast cast yours can go off first, they might never get a spell in.

Quote Originally Posted by Barca
    It would be really good if you picked elementalist spells that interrupted what your opponents were doing. Since do to fast cast yours can go off first, they might never get a spell in.
    maelstrom can do that, then use your water magic to slow them down so it will take them a while to get out of the area of maelstrom

maelstroms is also extremely effective in combatting priests in PVP