PC Gaming News
    DraconisRising

Question about Monk heals

Can a Monk heal a Bone Horror or other Necro pet?

If so, does that indicate that a Monk/Necro might be an exceptional PVE character? Raise a pet or two.... keep their degen controlled and wipe the map?

yep and you can also heal friendly NPCs well not all but most NPCs anyway, the key to a bone fiend army is Verata's Sacrifice!

DraconisRising

I tested it... results are interesting

I tested the Monk/Necro last night... the results are interesting.

Bone Horrors (the only summoned pet I had access to) have a degeneration that accellerates over time. Initially, it's slower than the base "Healing Breeze" regen of 3... but eventually it catches up and even passes the rate of healing;

Seems that if you go that route, you have to be prepared to heal constantly; or you have to figure on losing pets as normal for a Necro, but that you can keep them a little longer than the ordinary Necro.

Enigo Montoya
    Quote Originally Posted by DraconisRising
    I tested the Monk/Necro last night... the results are interesting.

Bone Horrors (the only summoned pet I had access to) have a degeneration that accellerates over time. Initially, it's slower than the base "Healing Breeze" regen of 3... but eventually it catches up and even passes the rate of healing;

Seems that if you go that route, you have to be prepared to heal constantly; or you have to figure on losing pets as normal for a Necro, but that you can keep them a little longer than the ordinary Necro.

They need to change the ability to heal undead. It's not even right. Undead are suppose to be damaged by anything divine so why are they able to be healed. This is completed messed up. If they want to keep this game realistic and pretty close to D&D standards then undead should not be able to be healed by divine means.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigo Montoya
    They need to change the ability to heal undead. It's not even right. Undead are suppose to be damaged by anything divine so why are they able to be healed. This is completed messed up. If they want to keep this game realistic and pretty close to D&D standards then undead should not be able to be healed by divine means.
    O.o Since when were undead "realistic" in any way? Who is to say it isn't Balthazar who provides the healing when you target undead, being the god of Death? Honestly, D&D isn't the be all end all of RPGs (especially lately, D&D has been encouraging a rather "Monty Haul" type of gaming...), and doesn't dictate what can and cannot work in an RPG. This is Tyria, not the Forgotten Realms, whos to say undead cannot be healed by divine means here? The game creators, thats who, and obviously they see nothing wrong with this.

Enigo Montoya
    Well sorry you feel that way but in my experience in gaming, Divine is the opposite of undead so why does it help them? Shouldn't. At least not in my experience. And I have quite an extensive experience in RPG gaming.

In many many many other games any healing done on undead damages them. Cleric type classes have always been that way. They use their healing powers to fight undead. Oh well no biggie, just an opinion I have on the game.

Actually I don't recall healing spells doing damage to undead in D&D. Just that clerics have the ability to turn/destroy undead (dependant on relative levels).

It makes sense in a biological point of view. You're mending tissue and fusing bone (even if it is reanimated flesh). The argument could be made that divine spells, and Divine Favour's healing bonus shouldn't apply (because I agree, divinity is often holy, and holy beings would wish to destroy the undead), but that's more coding and more headaches that we care about. Just be happy that necro/monks can keep their army around longer and that they can take apart groups of enemies with their army as they wish.

speaking from a d&d perspective... monk necro would be of lawful to chaotic evil alignment and i see no reason why a priest of bane or cyric would not be able to mend undead...

and back to subject, as a Mo/N i dont have the time or the energy to bother with raising undead, on special occassion, when i have the energy and situation permits i patch up a bit minions of necros in the party, but... this is more exotic situation than a general rule, i simply do not see much benefit in this tactic and too much dabbling with minions in tight spots will get your party killed... and who do they blame when they rush and get everyone killed?