PC Gaming News
    GWOnline.Net Member

Apply poison vs. kindle

Any thoughts on this? I lean towards apply poison for the pyschological effect it seems to have on a team after they have all been poisoned! But overall, since you can't use kindle AND apply poison, which do you think would be better?

GWOnline.Net Member
    Poison has a good effect on health degeneration and can overtime deal good dmg. But it doenst effect monsters that are fleshless.

Kindle arrow always deals dmg, even when teh attack is evaded the target still receives the fire dmg. Fire dmg can be very powerfull to monsters weak to fire and can really have devestating effects. Also Apply Poison costs 15 energy and Kindle Arrow a mere 5. So you got alot of energy for attack skills.

But in order to combine both properly, here is a suggestion.

Get Poison Arrow. Poison Arrow is a 1 poison shot at teh vost of 5 energy wich poisons if it hits. BUT, this is the great bright side. It can stack with Kindle Arrow ;)

its recharge time is very fast, 1sec. And its poison lasts longer then with Apply Poison.

Overall, i'd give Kinlde arrow the edge seeing as most monsters are not protected against fire and it will add pretty nice dmg to each shot wich compared to teh dmg added from poison is greater.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I should have clarified here - I'm speaking purely about PvP. All enemies can be poisoned and this can confuse and busy the team's healers. But then again I have had the problem lately of enemies using enchantments that make me miss or they block or evade. I'm thinking of switching out my meteor spell (which is a huge energy cost but very effective against a swarm of melee attacks) and putting in called shot which can't be blocked. If this doesn't work - kindle would be nice if it at least did some damage when the enemy blocks my attack.

Also, poison arrow is an elite skill which I don't have yet. It seems ok, but I like having it on my arrows passively that way I can quickly hit tab and get the whole team poisoned with just a 15 energy cost and no wait time!

Any other thoughts?

GWOnline.Net Member
    Kindle Arrow is better energy wise, else, pick apply poison. I mean, if you have a free elite skill slot, why pick Apply Poison when you can pick Poison Arrow?

Next, my take on the best preparation? Definitely Read The Winds. Marksmanship Prep, >2x speed, nice extra damage.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Well, yes I'm using Greater conflag as my elite skill. I haven't unlocked any yet so I'm stuck with whatever the premade builds offer - in this case its GC. I use that with conjure flame and the apply poison but I could easily replace that with kindle.

And why read the winds - doesn't it have a short duration and do pretty much the same as favorable winds? I'm not speaking from experience - just looking at skills so maybe there is something I'm missing...

GWOnline.Net Member
    IMO,

Apply Poison and Poison Arrow are too similar to even consider using up the Elite slot for Poison Arrow. Its better used on something like barrage -_- (but Apply Poison and Barrage dont stack).

GWOnline.Net Member
    Kindle is wonderful when stacked with abilities such as Quick Shot and anything that makes you attack faster (Tiger's Fury, Lightning Reflexes). Overall, I don't like apply poison - the preparation simply doesn't last long enough for what you get. I think it's good for the 'melee ranger' builds that I see, but honestly if I was going to make a degen-based build I'd be using poison arrow or ignite arrows over apply poison.

Since it is a preparation, its classification as non-elite is pretty much trivial - it doesn't work with barrage, it's pointless with quick shot, it doesn't work with any of the elite preparations (there are a few of them) - I think you get the point. Ultimately I really like Melandru's arrows as far as preparations go. It has bleed, which is only one arrow of degen less than poison, and lasts longer as well as adding bonus damage against enchanted targets.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I prefer Poison Arrow + Kindle.

Adding 13 extra dmg with all my attacks and poisoning my enemies.

Its true that Melandru's Arrow's Bleeding lasts longer. But it costs more energy and doesnt allow any other preperations.I have considered using it, but then i'd rather get Poisoners Bow string and increase my poison duration with that closing tha gap even more between Poison Arrow and Melandru's Arrow.