PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone with an opinion on a Necro/Monk primary healer?

Hmmm.

I've been playing a Necro/Monk primary healer lately. He's only level 8 so it's hard to gauge how things will work at higher levels. I'd rather not level him up only to find out that being a primary healer is impossible.

My reasoning for this combo is that primary healers ave a very difficult time maintaining energy. The Necro primary allows using the Soul Reaping skill which results in generating energy from each death. The Blood oriented Necro skills also allow drawing and shifting life around to other party members. Also minions can be raised as temporary energy storage whenever there are available unneeded corpses and the energy available is near maximum.

In action my 8 in Soul Reaping gives me enough energy to cast a free Orison of Healing (+37pts) anytime something dies. I won't waste anyone's time on going through the specifics but it's a fairly rare instance for me to end a battle with less than 1/2 energy.

But there remains that question of whether or not the lack of Divine Favor, and it's additional healing benefits, will make my Necro/Monk a fine secondary healer, but never a primary healer.

So any answers would be greatly appreciated.

wouldnt an E/Mo healer do the job better due to higher energy storage then? corpses are more valuable for wells of blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ante Gotovina
    wouldnt an E/Mo healer do the job better due to higher energy storage then? corpses are more valuable for wells of blood.
    No I don't think so.

A E/Monk has the advantage of higher energy storage, but doesn't really have any way of quickly replenishing that energy while a Necro/Monk can get 1pt of energy per 1pt of Soul Reaping per death. And that's from *any* death. Henchmen, allies, pets, minions or mobs. Anyone or anything that dies will give that 1pt of energy per 1pt of Soul Reaping.

Plus Elementalists don't have many healing spells that affect others while Necro Blood spells can shift health around, heal others and heal self. Then there's Well of Blood.

As for the corpses, that is why I specified "available unneeded corpses". If a well of blood was needed then that is far more important than a temporary minion.

SatanicAbyss
    I've been using N/Mo Primary Monk ever since i started an i am finished the game now. Yah, N/Mo is good combo for healing monk support, i made my Soul 8+2+1(Major rune & scar), Healing 12 and Protection 10. It's definately much funner to play N/Mo than, Mo/any in PvP since no one will attack you. During PvP and PvE, i never find myself running out of mana, you can even make it sweeter by using Life Essence on a monk during PvP and get +1energy each time the monk gets hit.

My build is:
    Heal Others, Orison of Healing, Word of Healing, Heal Party, Guardian/Protective Spirit/Healing Breeze/Life Essence, Pacifsm, Aegis and Rebirth/Light of Dwayna .
    Last edited by SatanicAbyss; 23-05-2005 at 06:34.

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicAbyss
    I've been using N/Mo Primary Monk ever since i started an i am finished the game now. Yah, N/Mo is good combo for healing monk support, i made my Soul 8+2+1(Major rune & scar), Healing 12 and Protection 10. It's definately much funner to play N/Mo than, Mo/any in PvP since no one will attack you. During PvP and PvE, i never find myself running out of mana, you can even make it sweeter by using Life Essence on a monk during PvP and get +1energy each time the monk gets hit.

My build is:
    Heal Others, Orison of Healing, Word of Healing, Heal Party, Guardian/Protective Spirit/Healing Breeze/Life Essence, Pacifsm, Aegis and Rebirth/Light of Dwayna .
    Hey thanks! Yeah I guess being a Monk is almost like having a "kill me" sign on your back in pvp. But that Life Essence idea is really evil. Funny as heck, but eeevvvviiillll. :)

SatanicAbyss
    Haha, well most of your energy will be healing that dying monk.. might as well take advantage of the monk :happy53:

GWOnline.Net Member
    Just another take on it: Im a monk/mesmer and it seems like no matter what your secondary is (or primary in your case), youll find a way to keep your energy up there. I keep inspired hex and channeling in my skills, and during a big battle (the only time youll run out of energy), channeling makes most of the spells free or cost only one or two energy. The bad AI never targets you no matter how close you stand as long as a tank or ranger draws their attention, so its relatively risk free.

I agree, there are many ways to keep your energy up, and when it comes down to it, I just don't see any primary class other than monk as a primary healer. Sure you can get a lot of healing done, but when the energy is low and people are dying fast that divine favor bonus is what separates the primary healers, from support healers, imo.

Hmmm.

Interesting points, which I'll keep in mind. I suppose the long-term thing is, if this doesn't work out, I'll just convert him to a straight Necro and choose a different secondary profession.

Of course the downside is that I'll then have to go through pre-searing yet again. ugh.

You can change your profession later on in the game in the crystal desert so you don't have to go through pre-searing again :)