PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First attempt at a mesmer build

so, how does this sound for an anti-caster build?

Mesmer Anti Caster Build:
    Mes/Mo
    Attr:
    Domination: 12
    Inspiration: 11
    Fast Casting: 6

Skills:
    Backfire
    Chaos Storm
    Energy Burn
    Power Block (elite)
    Power Spike
    Energy Tap
    Ether feast
    Ether Lord

Something else i could do is go 10/10/11/5 (11 in domintion, 5 in fast cast)
    and take migraine instead of power block

your build is pretty solid. Its a common build domination mesmers go for. I'm not belittling the build btw, its just to let you know its the common domination build, anyways its pretty well structured.

sounds good, i wasnt going for anything too unique, a solid mesmer build is good enough for me.

i suggest you go 12 dom 10 insp 8 fast cast (because 7+ makes things much better than 6)

In general I think 11/10/10/5 gives you more use out of your attribute points.
    It won't make that much difference you your Domination but gives you an entire illusion tree to work with.
    You wouldn't be using this against casters but against Warriors which are bound to attack you eventually and against which you have no defense right now.
    One or 2 simple spells such as Sympathetic Visage and Imagined Burden should do it (Warriors tend to ignore you when you slow and run away from them) and makes you a lot more versatile.
    Also contrary to what some believe, the difference between 5, 6 or 7 Fast Casting is VERY small. You can check the Fast Casting chart on this site for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarew
    In general I think 11/10/10/5 gives you more use out of your attribute points.
    It won't make that much difference you your Domination but gives you an entire illusion tree to work with.
    You wouldn't be using this against casters but against Warriors which are bound to attack you eventually and against which you have no defense right now.
    One or 2 simple spells such as Sympathetic Visage and Imagined Burden should do it (Warriors tend to ignore you when you slow and run away from them) and makes you a lot more versatile.
    Also contrary to what some believe, the difference between 5, 6 or 7 Fast Casting is VERY small. You can check the Fast Casting chart on this site for it.
    all i really need for warrior protection is empathy, something i can easily bring along. imagined burden? sure, if i have to...its just that the only reason i would want to split my attributes is to take migraine (great skill) instead of power block.

i can think of a good anti warrior build, but im gonna try to work it into necro primary later on.

Consider utilizing a Ranger secondary for Quickening Zephyr to help keep those interrupts coming.

Energy Tap vs Power Drain... 3 sec cast time versus .25 sec cast time... pitiful energy return versus substantial energy return. I'd go with Power Drain.

Ether Lord why? If you're using it for power draining, just use Power Leak instead. Hell, you should carry Power Leak over Power Spike anyday anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Herthbul
    Consider utilizing a Ranger secondary for Quickening Zephyr to help keep those interrupts coming.

Energy Tap vs Power Drain... 3 sec cast time versus .25 sec cast time... pitiful energy return versus substantial energy return. I'd go with Power Drain.

Ether Lord why? If you're using it for power draining, just use Power Leak instead. Hell, you should carry Power Leak over Power Spike anyday anyways.
    You're comparing two basically equal things and giving it a rating based on a one sided point of view.

First off you look at tap and power drain through cast time and energy return. Sure power drain is a lower cast time but why? because its an interrupt. Energy Tap's strength is the ability to use it at your disposal, power drain, you have to wait till someone casts and if you miss, you wont get your energy. This is pretty hard to do in a middle of a hectic GVG or HoH battle.

Power Leak and Power Spike. Power Leak can potentially disable a person because of its high energy draining power but it also has a 5 second longer recharge time. Power spike is more favorable if you only have space for one interrupt because you're gonna want it to be available as soon as possible.

Sorry to break it for you but Empathy doesn't provide ANY protection against Warriors. It merely damages them and not nearly as much as they're going to damage you if they get close to you (which you really don't have a way to stop with this build).
    Now in team PvP this is fine if you have a good team where everybody knows what to do since you can count on your team members to keep the warriors occupied but if you ever want to do random PvP (and PvM at higher levels)you're in serious trouble.
    Even without that I'd still recommend adding Illusion Magic because all your skills have a high recharge time right now and especially if you time one of your interrupts wrong (which is bound to happen sometimes) you're in serious danger of becoming useless.
    Conjure Phantasm for instance always insures that you can be of use to your group because it's a simple, reusable source of damage that always puts strain on an enemy. And like I said, the difference between 12 and 11 Domination Magic is VERY small.
    Migraine is definitely useful though it did get nerfed and became slightly less good now that casting times often have fractions in them. It's still good though, especially if you protect it with Conjure Phantasm so it doesn't get removed so easily.
    Last edited by Tarew; 25-05-2005 at 12:51.