PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Why is healing so unpopular?

it seems as though every game, no matter what, has a shortage of priests, clerics, monks... whatever. There's just no healers to be found. I have countered this by making two straight healing characters on my account, one PvP (Fi Boon Healer premade) and one PvE.

at first i thought i wouldn't like it. after all, who cares about helping other people when you have to option to tank and do craploads of damage. and monks armor! its so weak compared to warriors and rangers!

after playing though pre searing and doing a few tombs/competition arenas, i have to say its one of the most satisfying experiences ever. has a big bad warrior come to hack and slash me? healing breeze. retribution. done. oh NO! has Mr. Firestorm come to annoy my pack of spellcasters? heal other. infuse health. well of blood (not a monk skill, but hey, i use it).

i enjoy not dying and keeping my health up. also, its a very exciting job. one may think that it's boring not killing anything, but its actually very hectic. balancing your energy, health, and party member's health is a difficult task indeed. but its so rewarding.

and you know what else? I'm sick of spamming "need healing monk for mission!" over and over and over and NEVER getting one. if i say "need one healer and a few tanks/eles for mission", i get four or five warriors and casters, and not one monk.

and everyone complains that alesia sucks, yet they don't want to be healers.

help the world out and have fun at the same time! invest some points in healing magic!

Quote Originally Posted by SoliS
    it seems as though every game, no matter what, has a shortage of priests, clerics, monks... whatever. There's just no healers to be found. I have countered this by making two straight healing characters on my account, one PvP (Fi Boon Healer premade) and one PvE.

at first i thought i wouldn't like it. after all, who cares about helping other people when you have to option to tank and do craploads of damage. and monks armor! its so weak compared to warriors and rangers!

after playing though pre searing and doing a few tombs/competition arenas, i have to say its one of the most satisfying experiences ever. has a big bad warrior come to hack and slash me? healing breeze. retribution. done. oh NO! has Mr. Firestorm come to annoy my pack of spellcasters? heal other. infuse health. well of blood (not a monk skill, but hey, i use it).

i enjoy not dying and keeping my health up. also, its a very exciting job. one may think that it's boring not killing anything, but its actually very hectic. balancing your energy, health, and party member's health is a difficult task indeed. but its so rewarding.

and you know what else? I'm sick of spamming "need healing monk for mission!" over and over and over and NEVER getting one. if i say "need one healer and a few tanks/eles for mission", i get four or five warriors and casters, and not one monk.

and everyone complains that alesia sucks, yet they don't want to be healers.

help the world out and have fun at the same time! invest some points in healing magic!
    Believe me, I know all this.

I made my monk, just to be popular with groups. I thought I'd hate it. However, it is SO exciting!! Its stressful, and certainly gets my heart racing when I see someones life drop quite fast. I take price in the fact that should the opposing teams 5 warriors come after me, I could heal myself nearly forever. Just wish my party would try focus fire :)

However, a lot of monks give us a bad name. They think healing breeze is the greatest spell and should be spammed at all costs. Even if there is a back of mesmer creatures.

HELLO!?!?!?!? Healing breeze = enchantment Enchantment = bad around mesmers

GET A CLUE!

GWOnline.Net Member
    people dont like playing healers for a number of reasons.

one major thing is, they are put in no win situations. if they do unbelievable job noone notices. other people run around like idiots thinking they are god becasue there is a monk there, do something stupid, die, and yell at the healer. its not a great way to go about life being the one everyone needs, but everyone is first to ***** at.
    most of these people have never played a monk and dont know how hard it really is at times, and thing theres jsut a button to push to heal everyone and we are ididots for not doing it.
    instead of taking the abuse most people jsut decide to be the one dishing it out instead.

I don't bother basing my happiness on whether other people notice I'm doing a good job. People barely speak to each other :lol:

The only thing I can think of that happened to me that sounds close to that incident, He Hate Me, is when the leader of one party kept saying heal. In hindsight I think he was getting angry at the other monk. We were trying to get to temple of ages from bergen hot springs.

I haven't had all that many people make me ticked off... I think they're afraid the nice monk will go away. :lol:

GWOnline.Net Member
    as an example of how it's not ALWAYS true...

i also love playing my healing / protection monk. in fact, he's the only character who has survived past level 6 or so. well, he started out as a ranger / backup healer, then just healer, then a healer / smiter (as i got more att. points), now finally a healer / protector. i've used lots of refund points. :) i'm not sure why i like it so much, but somehow AN made it fun to toss healing spells at people so they can focus totally on doing damage, so you don't have to do any yourself.

when i did Elona, i was in a pickup group that was mostly the same people, and it took us (depending on who) about 9-15 tries (11 for me). any little thing that goes wrong in that mission can screw you up, including misunderstandings, little mistakes and accidents, and just bad luck. we persevered, though, and eventually completed the mission. there was a lot of communication throughout the whole thing, and im grateful that i got such a wonderful group on my first try. yes, we had to do the mission several times to complete it, but i think we worked together pretty well. it took us maybe 9-10 tries to figure out just what strategy we wanted at every point and another couple to execute it perfectly.

anyway, the reason i wanted to bring that up is that someone (an elementalist with little armor on whom the enemies liked to beat)complimented me on my healing ability one or two tries before we finished it. i was so happy about that (and still am)! i can't usually tell what other people are doing, because i'm busy watching status bars, so i rarely get the opportunity to say someone is doing an exceptional job, but it really picks up morale when you get that opportunity. :) i did get the chance to ^5 someone who was using air magic to great effect in keeping an enemy from being able to attack me by knocking him down repeatedly.

GWOnline.Net Member
    My first character was a warrior, and I was so frustrated with crappy, incompetent monks that my new char is a pure support healer, and its definitely a lot more fun than the warrior was.

As a warrior, no matter how perfect you play during a mission, you mean essentially nothing to your party. As long as you are taking damage for the party, you are doing your part, whether you stand there swinging poorly or using your adrenaline perfectly, it doesnt matter.

But a healer, ah, a healer! If you screw up, Game over. You miss healing the tank just before he dies, and the whole party is compromised. Just today on the semi-difficult trek from druids outlook(?) to the wilds, my party split and a dumb ranger aggro'd a few too many enemies. I was the only one left, my party already cursing how bad the party was and one guy planning to leave if not rez'd in ten seconds (no joke). But i led the enemies back to a white mantle knight, got them distracted just long enough for me to go back and rez enough of the party to distract while i rez'd the rest.

You might not be on the front line as a healer, but if you think you are good at this game, try being a pure support monk and see if you can roll with it.
    Missions failed: zero

GWOnline.Net Member Hunt3r_kill4's Avatar
    I always compliment monks that keep me alive, because I do notice it in an ironic way. I notice the monk's ability to keep us alive by soon forgetting to NOTICE my health. Death always comes as a surprise to me when we have a good monk, because you learn to forget to watch your health.

Personally, Im always grateful if we have a decent monk in our team

GWOnline.Net Member
    This is not my first MMO healer; however, I definitely have the most fun with this one. We make the decisions in the team that have a big impact on the outcome of the mission. Should I heal the necro who is taking too much heat and is probably going to die anyways or should I heal the warrior who will probably die if I don't heal him first but last longer in the end? I don't always make the right decision but I think I usually do and my teams are more successful than not.

I really detest those people who don't understand that our ability to heal is limited. Our heal spells have recycle timers and we only have a limited supply of energy. Some players don't understand this. Have you ever heard an ungrateful player say, "why aren't you healing me?" when you've already managed to bring them back from the brink of death several times already. I think that some players not meant to take heavy damage don't understand damage avoidance and so it is the healer's fault for not healing. What do you think? I'm talking PvE of course. If I start taking melee damage, I will try to position the warriors between myself and the monster and this will often take their attention off of me. Those range monsters are always the difficult ones to avoid.
    Last edited by lithun; 24-05-2005 at 18:53.

i play as a monk, and the most annoying thing is when you forget to heal your self!!!!!!!!!
    oh and people spamming rez me rez me, not realisibng that if i rez them that guy who is on low health who i keep heling will die, they will rez wiith low health and get killed quickly as i try and then heal everyone else. oh and sometimes if a person critizes me the mionk tyhey get nio healing until they apologise oh and i remeber getting annoyed at some player (mr i own u or something similar) for annoying me by always spaming rez.

GWOnline.Net Member
    i love being a healer and try my best to do a good job at it, but i reeeeeeeaally hate two things:

1) (mentioned) Dumb people who run off by themselves expecting me to cover their butt when they're aren't even suited to tank or take a lot of damage.

2) and when they don't notice their monk is getting his butt beat up and they forget to help me stay alive. sometimes I don't have the time to type a simple "help!" before I die. :(

but overall, so far i've received good praise and appreciation for my work and it feels more satisfying than being a tank or anything. also, i like it when the players are aware of the monk and do protect me when I need it. :happy65:

also sometimes the party doesn't know it but i cast some smiting to take large chunks of health from the enemy to save them ;)
    Last edited by worc; 24-05-2005 at 19:20.