PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    verytired

About reduce damage from armors

Hey guys, i was wondering something, my bad if it has already been posted but i didn't see it...anyways right now something is boggling my mind...

The knight set amor that says "Reduce physical damage", exactly how much is reduced???

Also who reduces more The AC SET vs. The Knight Set.?

I also heard that the reduce damage does not stack...is this true?

i'm just really confused on the whole thing on how the armor system works in this game...higher def or reducing damage :confused:

Unlike some games, your armor is not "collective." Attacks have a chance to hit each different part of your body, and it takes the armor at that part of the body into account when it calculates the damage. Auto-hitting spells like lightning strike spells and such use the chest piece automatically as the target. A good reason to have any lightning-resistant armor on the chest. 8)

As for the "reduces damage from attacks" and "reduces damage from physical attacks," I don't know. It might function like a Minor Rune of Absorption or something, or it may be some small percentage decrease -- someone will need to do some extensive testing to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by GammaRay
    Unlike some games, your armor is not "collective." Attacks have a chance to hit each different part of your body, and it takes the armor at that part of the body into account when it calculates the damage. Auto-hitting spells like lightning strike spells and such use the chest piece automatically as the target. A good reason to have any lightning-resistant armor on the chest. 8)

As for the "reduces damage from attacks" and "reduces damage from physical attacks," I don't know. It might function like a Minor Rune of Absorption or something, or it may be some small percentage decrease -- someone will need to do some extensive testing to find out.
    how did you learn this? as far as I know, no feedback in game can tell you you're being hit in a certain area, and the book that came with the game is absolutely useless as far as learning about in-game mechanics. Then again, I suppose it would make sense considering each piece of the armor is the same armor level (in another game, if your gloves were 50 and your hauberk was 50, removing the hauberk but keeping the gloves would be the same as keeping the hauberk but not the gloves... obviously that wouldn't be true.)

GWOnline.Net Member
    There are 5 parts of armor we can wear:

Headpiece: usually gives an additional bonus of +1 to an attribute.
    Chestpiece: This is where you get hit most often. (Spells auto hit this area)
    Leggings: This is the second most often place you will get hit.
    Gloves/Handwraps: Small chance to be hit. Equal to the Boots/Sandals.
    Boots/Sandals: Small chance to be hit. Equal to the Boots/Sandals.

When Armor gives a bonus like: Reduce Physical Damage or Reduce Damage, it usually reduced it by 2 or so, and does not stack with runes of Absorbsion or other armor parts with the same bonus. (its like having a rune of Absorbsion in it already, but you can still add a rune).

Armor with bonuses like: +10 Vs. Physical or other bonuses like +30 Vs. Elemental, stick with that individual armor piece, and your whole armor can consist of them.

Think of it this way, the larger the bodypart the armor is protecting, the higher the % it will be hit. And almost all of the information I learned was from these forums, back in the Beta times of January to April, for me.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Agonotheta
    how did you learn this? as far as I know, no feedback in game can tell you you're being hit in a certain area, and the book that came with the game is absolutely useless as far as learning about in-game mechanics. Then again, I suppose it would make sense considering each piece of the armor is the same armor level (in another game, if your gloves were 50 and your hauberk was 50, removing the hauberk but keeping the gloves would be the same as keeping the hauberk but not the gloves... obviously that wouldn't be true.)
    Some people (not me) have spent a great deal of time learning the mechanics during the beta events. Some of the fansites listed from the official GW website have explainations of the mechanics, and all agree that armor is location based. I guess you could test it out by only wearing one piece of armor and removing the rest. For the chest, 3 out of 8 hits physical against you should be low while the other 5 would be higher. (2/8 for legs, 1/8 for head, hands, or feet). Spell damage location could be tested in a similar manner. They have also determined that every 40 points of armor effectively halves the damage taken.

you sure absorption runes dont stack with the armors inherent dmg reduced mod?

GWOnline.Net Member
    A friend of mine used one and didnt notice a difference, same monsters, same damage.

So the higher def Knight armor is better cuz you can always put in an absorption rune?

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thervold
    For the chest, 3 out of 8 hits physical against you should be low while the other 5 would be higher. (2/8 for legs, 1/8 for head, hands, or feet). Spell damage location could be tested in a similar manner. They have also determined that every 40 points of armor effectively halves the damage taken.
    How does equipping a shield (or not) factor into this? Does it simply add an additional place that can be hit? Does it increase defense value for all parts? Or does it mean there is actually an additional part that is totally unprotected if you don't equip a shield?

From my understanding (and this is what makes Shields very useful) is that each time you are hit the Armor from your shield is factored into that hit. So if you have 80% on your chest armor, and 16% on your shield your armor rating for that piece of armor is really 96%. (I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain that is how it works.)