PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

My Fragility Build

I regularly visit the gwonline forums, but this is my first post
    I haven't seen a distinctively similar build to it, so I'm posting it here. Feel free to criticize/flame away :D On a side note, I don't have any characters past ascenscion, so I might be missing pertinent skills that would be better suited for this PVP character.

Class: Ele/Mes (Its mainly mesmer, so relax, its in the right forum :)

Illusion Magic: 12
    Fire magic: 4 (3 + 1 from Flame's eye"
    Energy storage:12
    This puts the attribute points usage to a full 200.

Fragility [15,1,15] - For 18 seconds, target foe takes 28 damage each time that foe suffers or recovers from a new condition.

Immolate [10,1,5] - Target foe is struck for 17 fire damage and is set on fire for 2 seconds.

Arcane Echo [15,2,30] - If you cast a spell in the next 10-26 seconds, Arcane Echo is replaced with that spell for 20 seconds. Arcane Echo ends prematurely if you use a non-spell skill.

Conjure Phantasm [10,1,5] - For 12 seconds, target foe experiences health degeneration of 5.

Ethereal Burden [15,3,45] - For 10 seconds, target foe moves 50% slower than normal. When Ethereal Burden ends, you gain 20 energy

Glyph of Lesser Energy [5,1,30] - Your next spell costs 15 less energy to cast.

Ressurection Signet [NA,3,NA]

Illusion of Weakness [10,2,30] - You lose 202 health. Illusion of Weakness ends if damage drops your health below 25% of your maximum. When Illusion of Weakness ends, you gain 202 health.

This build feels like an intermediate between a DOT build, and a nuker. One of the bigger perks to this build is that, in the random pvps in which I play, I tend to not get targeted much. Most spells have no fireball, and no need for LOS, meaning that my targets feel the damage, but they're not really sure where it's coming from.

I start the match with illusion of weakness, essentially pumping up my hp to an impressive 700+, unless someone feels like shattering the enchantment while i have 300+ hp. As I get close to the enemy groups, I use the glyph of lesser energy, and then cast Ethereal burden on the closer melee, preferably a W/Mo.
    Depending on the situation, I then used the following "combo" on some target.
    First, I cast fragility, followed by archane echo, and then immolate. With the low amounts of fire magic, the burning wears off after 2 seconds, dealing 17+(14*2)+(28*2)= 101 damage. I follow up with Conjure Phantasm. When Conjure phantasm is finished casting, the burning would have wore off, allowing me to cast the arcane echoed immolate. I know the damage doesn't stack past 10 degen, but it's still nice that it can counteract healing breeze/troll unguent, and on top of that, buffers the Fragility so it can't be shattered.

fragility burning build eh?

Mark of rodgort would be of good use here (i hate advising cookie cutters but this skill really helps fragility) each time u throw a flaming ball at the poor man hexed with this spell, hell be in flames for a few seconds triggering fragility.

I like your idea of immolating with arcane echo.

Immolate is probably superior to Mark of Rodgort, as (in the short term at least) it costs less energy and a fire wand doesn't trigger Mark of Rodgort like we wish it would (shoots too quickly apparently). A fire bow with a really low timed burn (1 second) would possibly work.

a fire wand triggers rodgort the way it should if you try to time it and not just click and wait.

the reason why rodgorts cost more is because its not a one-time spell, it triggers everytime the conditions specified is met, in this case being hit by fire damage.

I'm aware of this, I'm also aware it lasts up to 18 seconds versus Immolate costing a grand total of some 30 energy over that period of time (or 55 energy at least if you use Arcane Echo and the second copy of Immolate). But at least Immolate won't accidentally keep enemies alight like Mark of Rodgort and Ignite Arrows or a fiery dragon sword (common as they are) will.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Mark of rodgort does look good, but it doesn't feel like it fits!
    The thing is, mark of rodgort seems like its *made* for burning
    It's point feels like it's for continued burning for constant 14 damage per second.
    Secondly, the shots following up mark of rodgort's needs LOS, and can be adverted by running around objects, and higher ground

These, combined with the fact that it'd need to be carefully timed as to NOT prolong the burning, immolate feels better.
    With the build, I have 70+ energy, and it feels like enough when im playing in game for half dot/half nuke damage.
    It can't sustain constant nuking however

well of course immolate works better, thats why i did not suggest you REPLACE it with mark of rodgort. Builds are personal, people who follow word for word what other people advise on will fail on making a siccessful build. Hence i gave an idea of mark of rodgort. Now, since you said it yourself (or implied for that matter) that you dont feel adequate with MoR, advisors will shift and give a different sort of advice, this is truly how this forum works.

Back to work, now you say you cant sustain damage. How about bringing aura of restoration seeing as you have 12 on energy storage.

GWOnline.Net Member
    The healing is okay from aura restoration, but with some of the casting times and recharge times, it doesn't feel enough to survive too long versus a w/mo's dps :( So I think I'll leave healing to the monks, and throw in distortion instead! Spammable, and with the large amounts of energy i deal with, I can be on the run until the monk's not busy/ressing someone/ whatever

Quote Originally Posted by bruteherbs
    The healing is okay from aura restoration, but with some of the casting times and recharge times, it doesn't feel enough to survive too long versus a w/mo's dps :( So I think I'll leave healing to the monks, and throw in distortion instead! Spammable, and with the large amounts of energy i deal with, I can be on the run until the monk's not busy/ressing someone/ whatever
    1. As you can see he has no way of regaining lost energy, distortion will just terribly mess up his build because hell spend his energy dodging than dealing damage and doing his job.

2. The point of self-protection is to prolong your life and buy some time, not to entirely prevent death. Not alot of characters can survive focus fire, its all about how long will you survive in it.

3. "Leave the healing to the healers" is exactly why monks are getting mad nowadays, they get blamed when the party dies. Each individual or at least most individuals in the party is responsible for his own safety, healers are support, not an extra bag of HP. Help them by protecting yourself with either skills or techniques such as dodging or running or not stupidly running into mobs.

One thing i noticed is that you dont' appear to have an elite in there. If i may recommend one, i'd go with Fevered Dreams, once you get it. That addition to the cast chain would make those seconds of flame light up everyone near the enemy. And 14 health lost a second will certianly keep their enemy monks busier, thus perhaps taking focus off healing the person getting smacked by fragility.