PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

read the wind or favorable winds?

I'm getting into my PvE R/E character and found a few comments about this topic. I did a search and found several people that claim that read the wind is the way to go and not to use favorable winds. For the life of me I can't figure out why. When I look at it, it seems the opposite, why would you use read the wind over favorable winds?

Keep in mind - this is PvE so I'm not too worried about the enemies getting benefits from this (although that was something I tend to forget about, even in PvP so I will stop using this in PvP :happy34: )

Read the wind lasts only 12 seconds, it is a preparation so it will NOT stack with apply poison or kindle which I use all the time. It does about the same damage (+9 vs. +6 - what's 3 damage going to matter anyway?) and it will not last for a whole battle most of the time, thus taking up more energy and time in battle while its recast.

Favorable winds last a few minutes - more than long enough for a battle or two. It take 5 energy and that lasts the whole battle. Sure you need a little forethought and it takes a few seconds to cast (which is why those little red dots on the map are nice!) It is a spirit so I just lay it down and forget about it. It stacks with preparations so instead of just doing a little more damage and arrows moving faster, I have all that PLUS my arrows do poison or fire damage!

So why in the world are these seasoned players saying that it is better to use read the wind??? Even over apply poison or kindle? I just don't get it. There must be something I am missing here. Anyone?

I haven't used read the wind since I got it. I don't like preperations that last such a short time especially when kindle\ignite\apply poison are so great. Favorable winds is awesome.

Thank you, I was beginning to think I lost my mind (or what's left of it )

I've been reading recently about how people are dissapointed with rangers and they are a weak combination of a warrior and a mesmer but I'm not dissapointed with them. I got a poison bow string and a shadow bow and I use apply poison (which I couldn't if I used read the wind). I just cycle through the enemies and make sure they all stay poisoned. Sometimes I'll forget about one and come back several seconds later and he's still poisoned with about half his life left and no one has been working on him!

I think good rangers are very subtle - even more than mesmers and that's why people can't see how good they are. I'm thinking of switching out favorable winds all together now and maybe using hunter's shot, pin down, penetrating and distracting shots since I usually have more than enough energy to use these skills regularly. Trolls Ungeant seems less and less useful the farther I go so maybe I'll switch that out and try my old animal companion again that I've dropped since pre-searing!

But I'm digressing now - feel free to ignore my comments, I'm just stuck at work and wishing I was home playing GW!

Quote Originally Posted by ares416
    I think good rangers are very subtle - even more than mesmers and that's why people can't see how good they are. I'm thinking of switching out favorable winds all together now and maybe using hunter's shot, pin down, penetrating and distracting shots since I usually have more than enough energy to use these skills regularly. Trolls Ungeant seems less and less useful the farther I go so maybe I'll switch that out and try my old animal companion again that I've dropped since pre-searing!
    Actually, I've found that favorable winds is a must if I want to use all those disrupting shots from far away. If I try a hunter's shot or distracting shot without it, the arrows just go to slow to be effective (with my longbow), and half of the time they miss. With it, I can start a fight by making an out-of-aggro range monster bleed right away. So I wouldn't let go of it...

I think the key point of favorable winds is for disrupting/higher chance to hit, as silent moon said. Even with a composite bow (lowest flight time) its hard to interupt.

I think read the wind is more for the damage. Its a way for rangers without wildernes survival to get a decent stance.

If you are not going for interuptions, I wouldn't take either of them.

It also depends on what bow you use. You will find that with something like a flatbow, and sometimes longbow, you will miss some key shots.

Don't dismiss the ability of Favorable Winds to help the enemy. There are many deadly archers in the game (from Skeleton Rangers to Enchanted Bows to Avikara Fierces), and they will always have numbers on you. Thus, do your homework and take along Favorable Winds if you know that the opponent (the monsters) doesn't have archers. Otherwise, you will be hurting your party as a whole, and probably making your healers and tanks work too hard.

Anybody know what the range (diameter) of these spirit rituals are? They seem pretty large - which is good.

If I knew the range then I could try to place the rituals so that I'd still be in their active radius, while enemy archers fall outside. It should work, since in general the archers don't move at all. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zon2000
    Anybody know what the range (diameter) of these spirit rituals are? They seem pretty large - which is good.

If I knew the range then I could try to place the rituals so that I'd still be in their active radius, while enemy archers fall outside. It should work, since in general the archers don't move at all. :)
    I JUST tested this, and it's about 50 pixels on the radar. The "Aggro Circle" has a 20 pixel radius. So it's about 2.5 times the distance of the Aggro Circle.

Favorable Wind > Read the Wind, however Tiger's Fury > Favorable Wind.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnsoo
    I JUST tested this, and it's about 50 pixels on the radar. The "Aggro Circle" has a 20 pixel radius. So it's about 2.5 times the distance of the Aggro Circle.
    Thanks for testing! Nice to know... :happy34: