PC Gaming News
    Dieu

Is there any point of going pure Monk ???

Is there really any points ?? Im playing alot of pve now but will play pvp too

i have monk / mesmer now.

So the question is simple would it be best to go pure monk ??

Spec would be

Divine Favor
    Healing Prayer
    Protection Prayer

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Dieu
    Is there really any points ?? Im playing alot of pve now but will play pvp too

i have monk / mesmer now.

So the question is simple would it be best to go pure monk ??

Spec would be

Divine Favor
    Healing Prayer
    Protection Prayer

Thanks for the help
    for a pure healer...

when you get better mesmer skills you should branch out into inspiration, to steal energy back off foes. but you have to master it really, because you should be targetting team members - ideally when you run out of energy you quickly target a foe and steal. but it takes practice to master the art :P

Quote Originally Posted by hireath
    for a pure healer...

when you get better mesmer skills you should branch out into inspiration, to steal energy back off foes. but you have to master it really, because you should be targetting team members - ideally when you run out of energy you quickly target a foe and steal. but it takes practice to master the art :P
    Isn't channeling good enough?

(non-maintained enchantment)
    "For 8-46 seconds, whenever you cast a spell, you steal 1 energy from each nearby foe."
    Energy Cost: 5
    Activation Time: 1 Second.
    Recharge Time: 15 Seconds.

I'd guess in the average PvP situation it makes any 5 energy skill zero cost.
    Also I think a good alternative would be to use essence bond and/or balthazars spirit. It's not as convenient as channeling but at least you can limit yourself to targetting allies - which you're doing anyway. And of course you would not have to give up any monk attribute points.

oooh channelling sounds nice
    atm i have a mo/wa being full monk cause well monks don't really have enough armour to tank in the high pve lvl's anyway
    but i'm a heal/div fav/smite monk
    why smiting? cause it's just alot of fun ^^
    only downside = balth's aura costs to much and symbol of wrath = sloooooow recharge
    so i mostly just cast zeal's fire and then just mass cast really low in energy cost spells on my allies, helping them and dmg'ing the enemy at the same time
    34 fire dmge isn't that much but it beats a fire storm anyday
    cause i can spam orizon/reversal of fortune/mend ailement pretty fast
    doing good amounts of dmge
    but energy regen isn't fast enough after a while

Dieu
    Quote Originally Posted by Loquetus
    oooh channelling sounds nice
    atm i have a mo/wa being full monk cause well monks don't really have enough armour to tank in the high pve lvl's anyway
    but i'm a heal/div fav/smite monk
    why smiting? cause it's just alot of fun ^^
    only downside = balth's aura costs to much and symbol of wrath = sloooooow recharge
    so i mostly just cast zeal's fire and then just mass cast really low in energy cost spells on my allies, helping them and dmg'ing the enemy at the same time
    34 fire dmge isn't that much but it beats a fire storm anyday
    cause i can spam orizon/reversal of fortune/mend ailement pretty fast
    doing good amounts of dmge
    but energy regen isn't fast enough after a while

Can you respect whenever you want in this game ( cause i think i screwed my elem ) what happend is i put 2 points in water magic tried to remove them the the arrow was grayed out so i was like OMG i just screwed my character anyone know if we can respect the attribute points ?? ) i mixed my whole attribute points like 6 points of each attribute and i cannot go back down.I would like to respect with my monk when doing pvp

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Dieu; 06-06-2005 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieu
    Can you respect whenever you want in this game ( cause i think i screwed my elem ) what happend is i put 2 points in water magic tried to remove them the the arrow was grayed out so i was like OMG i just screwed my character anyone know if we can respect the attribute points ?? ) i mixed my whole attribute points like 6 points of each attribute and i cannot go back down.I would like to respect with my monk when doing pvp

Thanks for any help
    200 xp will give you 1 refund point.

its a b*tch, but it isnt too bad.

edit: btw i think channeling is good if you are near a group of enemies spamming 5 energy cost heals, but it is most useful when you are solo pve.
    Last edited by hireath; 06-06-2005 at 18:13.

Channeling is nice, yet it has it's limitations.
    For example being forced to lieterally stand in the middle of the enemies to gain any noticeable effect.

I've got a Mo/E I'm hoping to make into die uber healer, because... well... they're so damn hard to find in the later missions. I'm actually hoping to whore this one out to those who ABSOLUTELY MUST have a healer not named Alesia. :happy53: The only other reason I can think of to go full monk is if you're into buffs... but hey, I'm just a moron. :happy34:

Quote Originally Posted by lred
    Isn't channeling good enough?

(non-maintained enchantment)
    "For 8-46 seconds, whenever you cast a spell, you steal 1 energy from each nearby foe."
    Energy Cost: 5
    Activation Time: 1 Second.
    Recharge Time: 15 Seconds.

I'd guess in the average PvP situation it makes any 5 energy skill zero cost.
    Also I think a good alternative would be to use essence bond and/or balthazars spirit. It's not as convenient as channeling but at least you can limit yourself to targetting allies - which you're doing anyway. And of course you would not have to give up any monk attribute points.
    Thats actually really bad for a pure healing build. Ideally, you want secondary skills that you don't have to put too many points into for it to be effective, I'm sure there are Mesmer ones that don't require many points to be effective. As for Monk +energy skills, Peace and Harmony gives +1 energy regen, costs 5 energy, and has a 45 second recharge time. But if you have points into Divine Favor, it can last over a minute and a half.

As for the main point of this post, there are plenty of reasons to go pure Monk. A pure smiting build ignores armor and can deal a pretty good amount of damage, ignore what other people say though; it really isn't that bad. The truth is, a Mo/ or a /Mo that utilizes their secondary is rarely as good as a pure monk. There are exceptions to this, Necros can be an excellent compliment to a Monk for instance. The E/Mo has great Energy Storage options so that they never run out of energy.

Ive played a lot past lvl 20 in all areas, Fissure/UW, the harder, later missions etc trying all sorts of different monk builds, and ive currently narrowed it down to two.
    One of them I wont say cuz its taken a lot of research to get the build right, but the other is just a pure monk with 14 healing, 11 prot, and 10 divine with runes.
    At later areas you need everything you can get, and some of the protection skills are simply too good to give up for points in inspiration. If you go this path though, you need to pay close attention to energy cost since you will have no way to regain energy.
    Some suggestions:
    -Dont maintain any enchantments, even essense bond. The energy gain will not negate the loss of a pip and when the group hits a rough spot you will run out of energy far too fast.
    -Dont use heal other, use word of healing!!! At the energy cost you can heal for more than twice as much for the same cost with word.
    -Use Guardian over Aegis unless you have a very high protection. Aegis costs too much for only 8 seconds of blocking, and Guardian gives nearly as much protection for 5 seconds and very little energy. With shielding hands youve spent your energy more wisely protecting the tank taking the damage than wasting energy to protect unneccesary teammates.
    -Lastly, Healing Seed is the best spell in the game. lvl 14 healing gives it an 18 second duration, and with a staff wrapping of enchantment that allows it to last as long as the cooldown time, giving a tank an endless healing seed + healing breeze for 9 regen + shielding hands = unkillable. Seed heals for 28 of the damage taken, hands prevents 14 more so enemies have to hit for 43 before they even start to make a dent, which just gets sucked up by the breeze.

If you use your skills right a pure support monk is undoubtably the most effective healer in the game.