PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

IW: Me/W vs. Me/??

Since the only warrior skill that helps on an IW build is flurry, I was wondering if you could maybe use another class for something to fall back on? For example, have IW on a Me/N and then just have a bunch of degen stuff. Or a Me/E for spike damage? Is it really worth it to go warrior for just flurry, or might it be better for something to fall back on?

Quote Originally Posted by artyparty
    Since the only warrior skill that helps on an IW build is flurry, I was wondering if you could maybe use another class for something to fall back on? For example, have IW on a Me/N and then just have a bunch of degen stuff. Or a Me/E for spike damage? Is it really worth it to go warrior for just flurry, or might it be better for something to fall back on?

IW in pvp = crap.

I was hoping you and/or dirtycash wouldnt post here...not like I'm gonna take your advice anyway

What's the point in ignoring advice from more experienced players? Ah well...

what is iw

Quote Originally Posted by TW III
    What's the point in ignoring advice from more experienced players? Ah well...
    Yes, because you are automatically the best ever when it comes to Guild Wars. Thanks for your input, but I don't take advice from people so ignorant.

Then I'll say it for him. IW in PvP isn't an effective skill, much less an effective elite. A Warrior primary will deal more damage anyway, without relying on an elite skill to do so. Plus it's not hard to identify an IW build (hmm, there's this Me/W wielding a sword that's doing constant damage...), so chances are you'll be hit with enchantment removal which is a problem considering IW's long downtime. Sure you don't have to worry about conditions like blind, but with good monks you wouldn't have to worry about it as a Warrior primary anyway.

Now if you're determined to try to make the best of it, then a Me/W is probably the best way to go. Chances are you won't be casting spells during IW's duration because face it, you want to get the most out of it. Running Blackout on an IW build along with Flurry is probably the best way to go.

Thank you for an intelligible answer. So anyway, since they will probably know I'm running an IW build, would W/Me be a better way to go? I know about the low energy, but say I get a chalice with +27 to energy, and then run a build with spirit shackles/distortion for guaranteed energy regen for 30 seconds. I think this is a better idea because of the warrior's superior armor and the fact that a warrior with a sword is not such an unusual sight. Just couple the IW with Arcane Echo just in case for backup.

Spirit Shackles and Distortion works... provided they attack you. But since Warrior's aren't exactly favored targets, that tactic won't work that well. Casters drop first, then Rangers, and finally Warriors, so you're at the bottom of the list as a W/Me. And yes, the best way to try to safeguard your IW is to Arcane Echo it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herthbul
    Spirit Shackles and Distortion works... provided they attack you. But since Warrior's aren't exactly favored targets, that tactic won't work that well. Casters drop first, then Rangers, and finally Warriors, so you're at the bottom of the list as a W/Me. And yes, the best way to try to safeguard your IW is to Arcane Echo it.
    Since Wa aren't preferred targets, won't that mean that IW has a lower chance to be dispelled than if you go Me/*? IW does broadcast its presence to the target just like any other skill damage, so there's no way to keep it secret.

You could also (with some arrangement) set up using Arcane Mimicry to get Spell Breaker or Obsidian Flesh. Not an energy cheap option (+30 for Spell Breaker & +25 for Obsidian Flesh), admittedly, but an option for primary Mesmers none the less.

If you go W/Me then remember to make sure that you can deal damage with your weapon even if IW is not active (invest in your weapon skill). Take 1 or 2 adrenaline skills just as an insurance, you should have room for it in your build. That way you can use IW if they don't bother disenchanting you and use your adrenal skills if/when they do. If the enemy Mesmers are busy trying to stop your casters then you have much more time in which to use IW (barring Rend & Strip Enchantment Necros).