PC Gaming News

Flurry, what does it really do?

I am a bit wondering what flurry does. How much faster do you attack? How weaker are your individual attacks? Are adrenaline skills also weaker when flurry is on?

It, like other attack speed increases, makes you 33% faster. Flurry however reduces your damage quite a bit. While I wouldn't say it's as bad as 50% damage, it's a very sharp drop and you're better off just attacking normally most of the time. The only reason you'd use Flurry is to maximize the damage of Illusionary Weaponry (since IW is a spell which replaces your normal attacks, and thusly is unaffected by Flurry's reduction of your normal physical attacks with a weapon), or to accrue adrenaline faster than normal. There's other options for increased attack speeds, and really this one is pretty sad.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I suspect that flurry reduces your armour penetration. I never tested it extensively enough but it seems like I was doing about 75% of my normal damage which would equate to about an extra +20AL for your target.

Has anyone actually done much testing as to the difference in damage?

Ask Son of Rah, I think he's done testing of these skills, if not, I'm sure it's something he's planning on doing.

Well i'm pretty early in the game (Lion's Arch) and i'm mainly using a stance (bonetti's defence) to tank some highly damaging enemies. Unfortunately, it takes a crap load of adrenaline (7 points I think !!) and using frenzy is NOT an option so I replaced it with flurry. Same dmg, increased attack speed means increased adrenaline gain which allows me to do the skills with high adren cost. I guess I could use a shout like "For great justice" but it has long cooldown.

flurry is a 33% damage reduction in addition to whatever armor reduction takes place. In short, its like attacking someone with ~24 more armor.

note: the damage on attack skills (seeking blade etc) are not modified by this.

[color=yellow]~Rah[/color]
    [color=white]---------------------------[/color]
    [color=red]-=\[color=orange]Death Is Only The Beginning[/color]/=-[/color]

GWOnline.Net Member
    well my 20AL guess wasn't too far off

SonofRah, can you confirm 100% that flurry doesn't affect attack skills and only reduces the damage from standard attacks? if so flurry may be more useful than I first thought. I'll have to try some testing myself on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmeat
    SonofRah, can you confirm 100% that flurry doesn't affect attack skills and only reduces the damage from standard attacks? if so flurry may be more useful than I first thought. I'll have to try some testing myself on it.
    no...perhaps you missunderstood me. flurry modifies all attacks that you make.

However most of the extra damage that is applied from attack skills isn't actually modified by armor, and thus flurry has no effect on the bonus damage granted by these skills.

eg: executioner's strike -> does base damage + bonus damage.
    final thrust -> base damage + bonus damage

only the base damage is modified by armor, and thus will be effected by flurry. the bonus damage will not.

[color=yellow]~Rah[/color]
    [color=white]---------------------------[/color]
    [color=red]-=\[color=orange]Death Is Only The Beginning[/color]/=-[/color]

Which would explain why Flurry with Penetrating Blow for my Me/W makes it drop about 10 damage.