PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Class Racism

GWOnline.Net Member

Thumbs down Class Racism

What recently really bugs me (and I think all Rangers, and some Necros and Mesmers maybe) is what I have come to refer to as "Class Racism".

That is the all too familiar "need Warrior or Monk for mission".

I ascended an Ele and a Warrior primary. No problems. But now, as an experienced player, I try to get a lvl 14 r/m towards ascention. Does anyone group with me? No.

Therefore, I want to tell two tales.

Last night I was playing my E/R in the desert, looking for a town. I had invited a ranger, and taken the b****ing of the other folks in the pickup team for this. End of story? We all died, and the ranger ran like some olympic god, healing himself, arround and through enemies towards the city gates.

Also, did Thirsty River last night with said E/R. Packed a primary Ranger again. Again took comments from some in the team ("bah, a Ranger? Kick him!").

We made Thirsty River with no problems. I personally made it in the first attempt with this char. I made Elona Reach in two tries, with a Ranger in the group, too (cause I had the right strategy and everyone followed - without the right strategy a month ago, I tried Elona about 25 times, with or without Rangers or Necros or Mesmers in the team).

Its so much more about tactics than classes. So, all moaning about unbalanced skills aside, please be don't be the unbalancing factor of the game. Invite occasionally a Ranger, a Necro, or a Mesmer, you may be lucky and find someone who knows how to play them and is a great asset.

Thanks

Kaijin Deathblade
    I've ascended a R/Me, W/Mo and a Mo/N. Necros, Mesmers, and Rangers all have their places. They're great at pvp, and while less powerful, are still good at pve. One problem might be that your R/M(Mo or Me?) is only level 14 though...
    It's hard to find a group anyway if you're not lvl 17-20 near ascension unless if you're a monk.

i agree completely Elfshade. this however is not a new thing to this style of game. Rangers , one of my favorite classes to play in any game, are always seen as outcasts and the "well there's no one else.::sigh:: pick up the ranger and lets go" character. i'll NEVER understand why people hate rangers so much. only thing i can think of is they can't play them so there for they are a bad class. they miss the fact that while u might be the best dang (insert class here) in the game the guy standing next to you with the bow and arrow might be the best ranger there is in the game too and that is a GREAT THING. well realisticly they're prolly pretty good at the class.

sure there are bad players of all classes. what happens when that monk u NEEDED so bad turns out to be the worst monk ever, wouldn't some extra damage,a trap to slow down or even an animal buffing the monsters so u can get away be a good thing? a well played ranger and the other mentioned classes can be the X factor in any group. GW is a game based on teamwork not a "perfect" class mix.

so in closing i'll just repeat what u said basicly, dont be a "class racist" that guy or gal u pass over might have won the battle for u if ya gave them the chance. just have fun....OMG did i just use the F word?....thats what games are for folks.....FUN! :clap: also there's some good reasons why Reyna (the archer henchie for people that dont know the names) is usually the last to die....rangers OWN.

Have fun on Tyria people. take care
    Last edited by Lana Skyeyes; 24-06-2005 at 13:05.

Ive found this with an ascension quest last night (im a N/E18) and was in a groupw with me, 3 Rangers and a monk, the Monk was basically abusing the leader for picking 3 rangers and complaining that he would have to heal everyone, i thought that was the point of being a monk...
    Warriors aren't to bad as theres always alot of them around so they don't bother me. Monks however seem to think that the other party members owe them something for them deciding to accept the invitation.
    Of course ive found this when i played FFXI at the higher levels, the healers and good tanks were pretty thin on the ground so unless you find a nice one (which alot are) then you were always going to struggle with the big quests...

There are not many good rangers around, that is the problem. :)

I've had a situation once where my two guildmates were taken in a group (W and E) and they had to threaten to leave unles they took me as well. Later in mission I almost singlehandedly killed a boss (poison arrows, disrupt & Rodgorts Invocation), I'm sure that made them think about it. ;)

Yesterday I saw the oposite. A R/N on Riverside, he kept asking to carry the Cepter of Orr. He never used any skills on bow or good necro magic. Yet he was the smartest, constantly bragging about his briliant planning. :D

Just remember, there are some very good rangers around. :happy34:

When making a group I tend to kick the people who moan about recruiting a ranger/necro/mesmer, clearly they aren't going to be a pleasure to play with anyway. Most of the "advanced classes'" players are more often than not decent folk whom I sometimes keep communicating with.

this is very true i have a r/me a W/mo and a N/E

i have no probs with the warrior one everygroup seems to be looking for warriors and monks i say this is wrong rangers are good cos of there skills and that they are probs going to be the last person standing in a fight

me are good to make the enermy weaker so the only classes (eg: warrior, element, neco can kill them much easyer

Yes i know this feelin all to well to

I started the game with a War/Me and after about a hour of game paly i fell in love with the mesmer class i just can get enough of it.
    But toward the end of the game party booted me and i spammed LFP War/me for hour with no luck

Then i change m secondary to monk and the problem of finding a party disappeared straight away.

But not to be put off i start my second char a mesmer/ele and again the part issue came up again standing for ages spamming, begging and eanything else i could to get into party. Elona, River and dune were the worst of the lot too me along time to do each of them mission becuase i couldnt get into a skilled party and had to take noob invites.

By the time i got to the last mission i was cheesed off, but beening a guild leader i had one option. For the last mission i called in 2 guild monk and then made a team with 3 mesmers 2 rangers 2 monks the other 2 mesmers and rangers had been spamming invite for a while so i felt sorry for them being stuck in the same boat i am in. Needless to say we did the mission first try and it was easy much easier than with my war/mo. i made some freinds and 2 new guild members from that mission.

Before i started my mesmer i had 6 people on my friend list i now have over 100 and the thanks of many a glint killing partys.

Now when i make a party i alway leave a spot for a freindly ranger or mesmer in need becuase i know the value a well played one can bring to a team.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelOfRage
    ...that he would have to heal everyone, i thought that was the point of being a monk...
    I believe it's misguided to think the point of being a monk is to heal everyone. In my opinion, a strong build must be diverse, and my monks only ever carry one (or two at max) healing spell. Healing is one capability of a monk, but I think it's far from being the entire definition of the class.

As for class discrimination, it's very obvious. Monks and Warriors are always prime candidates for any group. If the population of those two were high enough, people wouldn't even bother inviting any of the others.
    Last edited by raisenero; 24-06-2005 at 13:27. Reason: Add a Quote, Restatements

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshade
    What recently really bugs me (and I think all Rangers, and some Necros and Mesmers maybe) is what I have come to refer to as "Class Racism".

That is the all too familiar "need Warrior or Monk for mission".

I ascended an Ele and a Warrior primary. No problems. But now, as an experienced player, I try to get a lvl 14 r/m towards ascention. Does anyone group with me? No.

Therefore, I want to tell two tales.

Last night I was playing my E/R in the desert, looking for a town. I had invited a ranger, and taken the b****ing of the other folks in the pickup team for this. End of story? We all died, and the ranger ran like some olympic god, healing himself, arround and through enemies towards the city gates.

Also, did Thirsty River last night with said E/R. Packed a primary Ranger again. Again took comments from some in the team ("bah, a Ranger? Kick him!").

We made Thirsty River with no problems. I personally made it in the first attempt with this char. I made Elona Reach in two tries, with a Ranger in the group, too (cause I had the right strategy and everyone followed - without the right strategy a month ago, I tried Elona about 25 times, with or without Rangers or Necros or Mesmers in the team).

Its so much more about tactics than classes. So, all moaning about unbalanced skills aside, please be don't be the unbalancing factor of the game. Invite occasionally a Ranger, a Necro, or a Mesmer, you may be lucky and find someone who knows how to play them and is a great asset.

Thanks
    Well What a surprise a why Rangers are not or bad thread.

Hmm: my experience unbalance is bad, balance is good:

1 monk rest carrying no healing at all big problems.
    6 Players all with secondary Monk no problems.

Its all about the output a team has adn how well they coordinate