PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

+4 Armor or +23 health?

I recently found a bow grip of defense with +4 armor and a bow grip of fortitude with +23 health. Which should I use? I'm strictly PvE. Thanks for your opinions, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by wondersmith
    I recently found a bow grip of defense with +4 armor and a bow grip of fortitude with +23 health. Which should I use? I'm strictly PvE. Thanks for your opinions, folks!
    An extra 40 armor reduces an attack by half, or so I've heard. So it's basically reducing damage by a tenth, or an extra 23 health. Too lazy to do the math, sorry :p

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenclamm
    An extra 40 armor reduces an attack by half, or so I've heard. So it's basically reducing damage by a tenth, or an extra 23 health. Too lazy to do the math, sorry :p
    It's far more complicated than that, or I wouldn't have asked. :) The actual reduction in damage from +4 armor is about 6.7%. According to Charles Ensign's excellent article "A Treatise on Combat Mathematics", the factor by which your Armor Level (AL) modifies incoming damage relative to "normal" AL 60 armor is 2^((60-AL) / 40). Of course the simplest case of this occurs at AL 60, where you take 100% of the AL 60 damage. At AL 64, the damage modifier is 93.3%. Try out some other numbers yourself and you'll see the formula is always consistent with +40 armor reducing damage by half, as we know, and also always yields a 6.7% reduction for +4 armor.

Now assuming we're concerned with the issue of surviving damage that brings us to the brink of death, it makes sense to see how the +23 extra health from the bow grip of fortitude compares to the amount of damage spared by the extra +4 armor from the bow grip of defense as we lose all our health. Let's say our character starts with 500 health. 500 health x 6.7% = 33.5 health. So at first glance the bow grip of defense seems better because it prevents us taking more health damage than the bow grip of fortitude gives us. In addition, the damage saved doesn't need to be healed back. If only it were that simple!

The problem is that there are many forms of damage that completely bypass armor: Chaos, Shadow, and Holy damge inflicted by by spells ignores armor. So does damage caused by life stealing and damage-over-time effects like poison, bleeding, and burning (both when caused by spells or by environmental effects). +4 armor is totally useless against all this; only additional health will help.

So...with all this in mind, which is better overall, throughout the entire PvE experience? That's what I'm really asking. Alas, I suspect that no one knows the answer, not even at ArenaNet. :)

You are correct in this.

However, 23 health is so little, it wont really make a difference, if you are hit by Chain Lightning or Spectral Agony. So it all comes down to you play style.

Vermillion
    If you are using more than one major rune or a Sup/Major rune then I would go for the extra health to try and make some of it up.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wondersmith
    It's far more complicated than that, or I wouldn't have asked. :) The actual reduction in damage from +4 armor is about 6.7%. According to Charles Ensign's excellent article "A Treatise on Combat Mathematics", the factor by which your Armor Level (AL) modifies incoming damage relative to "normal" AL 60 armor is 2^((60-AL) / 40). Of course the simplest case of this occurs at AL 60, where you take 100% of the AL 60 damage. At AL 64, the damage modifier is 93.3%. Try out some other numbers yourself and you'll see the formula is always consistent with +40 armor reducing damage by half, as we know, and also always yields a 6.7% reduction for +4 armor.

Now assuming we're concerned with the issue of surviving damage that brings us to the brink of death, it makes sense to see how the +23 extra health from the bow grip of fortitude compares to the amount of damage spared by the extra +4 armor from the bow grip of defense as we lose all our health. Let's say our character starts with 500 health. 500 health x 6.7% = 33.5 health. So at first glance the bow grip of defense seems better because it prevents us taking more health damage than the bow grip of fortitude gives us. In addition, the damage saved doesn't need to be healed back. If only it were that simple!

The problem is that there are many forms of damage that completely bypass armor: Chaos, Shadow, and Holy damge inflicted by by spells ignores armor. So does damage caused by life stealing and damage-over-time effects like poison, bleeding, and burning (both when caused by spells or by environmental effects). +4 armor is totally useless against all this; only additional health will help.

So...with all this in mind, which is better overall, throughout the entire PvE experience? That's what I'm really asking. Alas, I suspect that no one knows the answer, not even at ArenaNet. :)

roflkartoffel, get alife :p THIS IS SICK

With all them numbers 'n fancy talkin', ya gone 'n messed up mah bra-in. Duh... :teeth:

:cheesy: :teeth:

tantrik
    congratulations. you have gained a diploma in combat level mathematics. :winner: Next time when a vengeful ataxe :surprise: is running after you, try to calculate this and you would certainly appreciate the results... :boxer::lol:

I'd say it all depends on your playing style and the build you're using. To give a crude example: if you use health buffs then an extra 23 won't make a big difference, if you use armor buffs the +4 armor might not make a big difference... My personal opinion is to go all out on one, either stack up the armor or stack up your health and adapt your build to that situation. For example when you chose for the armor you know that your weak point will be hexes and damage over time, well that is a fact you can use when making up your build. To put it simplistically bring some hex removal spells and you're set.

It just all comes down to playing style: if you're a necro using a lot of sacrifice spells the extra health will be less valuable then the extra armor, if you're a warrior using protection some extra health to counter hexes might be nice...