PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running is Fun!

Running is Fun!

Was screwing around in the random PvP arenas earlier this evening and doing fairly well for my myself and my teams for someone who doesn't PvP much. Anyhow, we were in the sandstone circle map and my entire team had died except for me, a R/W using a trapper build. The other team was all up and gunning for me.

If I recall, there were two warriors, a necromancer and a mesmer. At this point without any hope of surviving, I decided that a permanent tactical retreat was in order. That is, I decided to run the hell away and see how long it'd take for them to mercilessly slaughter me and prance upon my silly ranger corpse.

Well, after about two or three minutes of this one of the warriors got bored and dropped out of the fight. A good call on his part, and I understood entirely. However, the rest of their team seemed determined to take me down. For what I can only assume was around twenty minutes, I ran like the sissy that I am, and learned the ways of that particular map. I was incredulous that I was doing so well, quite frankly, but since the other team (who were a bunch of good sports about it, if I do say so) was so determined and kept changing tactics, I had a blast just trying to stay alive.

Anyhow, the necro, Kharn the (something?) was easily the most dogged pursuant, and continually nailed me with Deathly Swarms from across the God-forsaken map. Fortunately, the occasional Troll Unguent kept me alive and running. Basically, I would run and smack on a good, long Storm Chaser, drop some traps (Barbed and Flame, primarily) while doing laps around and across the circle. Gazee Gazee, the mesmer, took to a post in the center after some time and (The?) Nihk ended up (faking) AFK near a bridge for a bit, so with Kharn on my tail and far enough away from his companions, I decided to see what I could do to him in a fight.

Set my traps (barbed, flame and dust), pulled back and as he ran into them (under heavy Deathly Swarm fire) clicked on Incendiary Arrows (God bless it) and Flurry and started thwokking Kharn with my Half Moon. He had me down to around half life when he finally croaked. Nihk eventually came back and ressed him, and Kharn was the first to drop out after another ten minutes or so. At this point it's Gazee and Nihk, and Nihk's trying to corner me while Gazee is doing his...mesmer...thing and spelling me down like crazy. Not to mention doing a fine Riverdance in the center courtyard.

The guys then decide that Gazee and I are going to 1v1. Well, I have to say, Gazee did quite well. It was a solid fight, and he actually ended up turning me away (who's going to waste 45 minutes of running? I mean, come on...there's something to be said for a well-placed tactical retreat :p ), Nihk drops out after another round of running, and finally it's Gazee and I again going at eachother. I'm on a (heavily trapped) bridge and he's under me in the courtyard. He walks under me and sets off a good number of the traps there (which is a ridiculous glitch, by the way) and so I, just as with Kharn, clicked on Incendiary Arrows + Flurry and ended up taking the fight. Victoly! ;)

--

This whole fiasco ended up at what was nearly an hour's worth of ONE random PvP battle. I know many of you are likely disgusted with me, and I've seen all the threads complaining about runners, but I was genuinely just having a huge blast trying to stay away and alive with these guys after me. Felt like I was in Logan's Run or something. :p If any of you guys (Kharn, Nihk or Gazee) read the board, just wanted to send a big thank you from Mera Neren for a great time and to apologize if I went a little over the top.

...though Gazee did say he was in a fight for over three hours previously and won...so, I guess you can't complain too much. ;)
    Last edited by IncrediblyFrustrated; 03-07-2005 at 07:01.

Well we all do unspeakable things to win at one point or another right?

Bah, what makes it unspeakable? It was fun. :) I didn't really care whether I lost or not. I was having a great time. In fact, I'd really kind of like some sort of survival type deal. Somewhere in the game. It'd be too easy to take someone down in PvP just because there are so many ways to stop a player, but maybe with some chaser mobs dogging you around your guildhall or something that are deadly enough to be scary, but aren't impossible to get away from.

Believe me, running for your life can be pretty exciting in it's own right. :p

Running

That sounds pretty funny. I dont see why people would get mad. It would be a challenge to take out a runner and if you finally did get him then you would have a sense of acomplishment.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildspear
    That sounds pretty funny. I dont see why people would get mad. It would be a challenge to take out a runner and if you finally did get him then you would have a sense of acomplishment.
    And if their team had the bad luck to roll 2 monks and 2 warriors? No way to take out the runner, but no way the runner would ever possibly win.

Yeah, there's a challenge staying alive alright...

Quote Originally Posted by salaboB
    And if their team had the bad luck to roll 2 monks and 2 warriors? No way to take out the runner, but no way the runner would ever possibly win.

Yeah, there's a challenge staying alive alright...
    2 Wars should easily take a runner out if they brought the right skills. Pretty simple to do. Sprint? Charge? ..maybe they were w/r and had the same running skills on as the ranger in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by PhrozenFetus
    2 Wars should easily take a runner out if they brought the right skills. Pretty simple to do. Sprint? Charge? ..maybe they were w/r and had the same running skills on as the ranger in this post.
    not reallly a matter of bringing running skills as much as bringing a slowing skill .. most classes have a skill to slow the enemy then it just becomes a matter of getting him to run into you so that u can slow him/her (though i have never met a girl who did that)

if they want to run you just play it like a chest game surround him then pounce..

though i'll say this:
    anet needs to install a way for us to report a guy who is running ^-^ then have a way to get them banned.

wtf thread necromancy?
    [EnS]Bug
    Ectos And Shards
    #ectos on irc.gamesurge.net

GWOnline.Net Member
    It really depends on the type of "runner" you are. The "involuntary temporary-runner" or the "run-at-all-cost" runner.

Met a ranger that brought 4 evasive/defensive stances to CA and does 0 dmg to me on my test warrior BM build with whatever attack skills he had left on that bar. While everyone on his team died and left, he kept on running without attacking at all. Needless to say, he was a griefer, so I simply watched TV while he kept on running til he ultimately logged out.

I as an elementalist spiker ALWays carry lightning surge(knockdown after 3 seconds) and gale (knockdown for 3 seconds) as well as skills that don't require line of sight just in case I meet a runner which I always do, unfortunately for them.

But I much agree running away from the opponents when you have no other choice IS fun especially as a IVEX trapper build