PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Thanks....

  1. #1

    Thanks....

    To everyone else helping out in these forums. I have been a bit busier than usual the last couple of days and was concerned some people were going without help.

    Thanks to everyone covering my absence (you know who you are).

    We all know what its like to have a technical problem, and how important it is to get swift replies.
    Last edited by Merls The Sneaky; 05-07-2005 at 05:37.

  2. #2
    hehehe. i didn't know gwo had a technical forum, so i only really hung
    (read: read) the community area.. but when i saw a thread moved into here,
    i just picked it up naturally.

    it's been easy to help people in here because they're cooperative and open to
    try things. it makes things a lot easier when they don't have a "lol i'm not a
    n00b i've had a cpu for years" kind of attitude.

    if i'm not playing guild wars, i check up on the tech area every five minutes
    or so. and i'm playing right now, actually, but my partner is taking a small
    break. XD

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by trial
    SNIP
    it's been easy to help people in here because they're cooperative and open to
    try things. it makes things a lot easier when they don't have a "lol i'm not a
    n00b i've had a cpu for years" kind of attitude.
    SNIP
    if i'm not playing guild wars, i check up on the tech area every five minutes
    or so.

    Hehehe, for people with the " "lol i'm not a
    n00b i've had a cpu for years" kind of attitude" I say to them "I guess you dont need MY help then" and discontinue posting. I never assume someone is a novice unless they specifically say so. Otherwise I assume a level of intelligence higher than a shoe size.

    Im checking this forum ever 5 mins myself (unless otherwise occupied). and have only noticed this forum myself recently.

    I also posting for my somewhat own selfish reasons, I missed out on getting into a course for PC technical /customer support, so I am proving something to myself. I have the ability, I just lack the formal qualifications. (and therefore find it more difficult to find a career in the industry despite my talent/knowledge)

    I also gain a sense of self satisfaction (as well as a swollen ego :P). I love PC and educating those who need it. After all the common "PC" is probably the most complex piece of machinery/technology most "average people" will ever use.

    It also helps keep Anet workload down. Every case we solve here is one less Anet has to worry about, and keeps them working on the more bizzare issues.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Merls The Sneaky
    Otherwise I assume a level of intelligence higher than a shoe size.
    yeah -- i assume that when i'm speaking to them and giving them advice
    that they asked for that they're listening. i've dealt with too many people
    who just nodded their head but listened to absolutely nothing and did
    something wrong to worsen the situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merls The Sneaky
    I have the ability, I just lack the formal qualifications. (and therefore find it more difficult to find a career in the industry despite my talent/knowledge)
    same for me, actually. well, i dropped out of college the first year (was taking
    comp-sci tech) because of an asthma attack that took me out for a while
    that i missed too much to catch up. combine that with the "i don't actually
    want to go to school right now" attitude i had, and bam. i fear that i'll have
    to work at a mcdonalds to even start to get any experience and money. X|

    Quote Originally Posted by Merls The Sneaky
    After all the common "PC" is probably the most complex piece of machinery/technology most "average people" will ever use.
    yeah, that's very true. sometimes i think it'd be nice if more people knew
    about the computer they use other than knowing how to start up msnmsg,
    ms word or browse the net. but then, we'd be out of a (potential) job. XD

  5. #5
    Yeah people dont realise just like a car computers need thier service done reguarly. and that thiers certain things they should do on a regular basis to keep things running smoothly.

  6. #6
    yeah -- i've seen this happen way too much.

    a person would give me their computer and tell me, "oh, nothing works
    anymore." and when asked the last time it was serviced, they would say
    "never"..

    the first thing i usually do is open the case and clean it out. god knows
    i've spent good chunks of a day just cleaning out the dust from the case
    and inside whatever heatsinks are used.

    everything needs to be serviced, really. i don't see how people think
    computers are an exception. but as i've said before, it brings in customers!

  7. #7
    That reminds me of a guy bought in his pc (was a real know it all) err its got heat issue etc.....

    Fair enough I says, if i can fix it without adding any more hardware to it you owe me 50 bucks.

    Yeah right , he says etc.

    Turned out the heatsink was full of so much crap that thier was no airflow. I blew out the dust with a bit of compresses air and viola 30 degree celcius cpu core temp (as opposed to 85% degree before).

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by trial
    yeah -- i've seen this happen way too much.

    a person would give me their computer and tell me, "oh, nothing works
    anymore." and when asked the last time it was serviced, they would say
    "never"..

    the first thing i usually do is open the case and clean it out. god knows
    i've spent good chunks of a day just cleaning out the dust from the case
    and inside whatever heatsinks are used.

    everything needs to be serviced, really. i don't see how people think
    computers are an exception. but as i've said before, it brings in customers!
    Reminds me of the time, a friend of mine working at a pc shop had to service a pc that wasn't running anymore. He found out part of the problem. The pc had turned into a roach motel. Hundreds of them. It was pretty disgusting.

  9. #9
    HEHEHE I got that problem myself, german cockraches, little ones about 1 inch long. they like the inside of pc cases. Its a nice balmy 30 degrees all year round. They **** on everything too. I gove my case a "fumigate" on a 3 month basis. Take out the mobo, sound card, vid card and "have at it" with a can of surface spray.

    Its what i get for having pc close to kitchen, and being a "snacking gamer".

  10. #10
    XD the closest i've gotten to having a bug in my comp was a moth..
    it got sucked in through one of my fans and.. well, magically, was able
    to find it's way back out through one of my exhaust fans and just hung
    around on my wall afterwards -- it was still alive, too!

    i've seen a few psu's fail because of so much dirt inside them.
    the worst, though not as bad as roaches, is when someone is a smoker
    and smokes beside their computer. layers of muck on everything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •