PC Gaming News

Physical resistance + Armor of earth

hi,

Can some one tell me, whether physical resistance and Armor of earth add up?

60+40 armor against physical? . Let me know if it is i plan to use both.

Thanks
    AlexK

Hmm i am not sure, but if your playing in pvp especially tombs i wont recommend you to do that, you might get killed easily by spells....

They do not. At least, when I put Armor of Earth on, and then add Phys Resistance, I still take the same amount of damage from attacks as when I had just Armor of Earth on. I would guess that only the most powerful armor buff is ever factored in to the calculations.

I'm pretty sure they do stack, one is a stance the other an enchantment, there's just no reason for them not to stack.

If you were taking same damage, maybe it wasn't PHYSICAL damage you were taking (for example a warrior with a flame sword).

What i really don't understand though is why you wouldn't use ELEMENTAL resistance? Elemental is a much bigger threat than physical, especially since about half rangers and warriors use elementals mods on weapons...

Quote Originally Posted by Patccmoi
    I'm pretty sure they do stack, one is a stance the other an enchantment, there's just no reason for them not to stack.

If you were taking same damage, maybe it wasn't PHYSICAL damage you were taking (for example a warrior with a flame sword).

What i really don't understand though is why you wouldn't use ELEMENTAL resistance? Elemental is a much bigger threat than physical, especially since about half rangers and warriors use elementals mods on weapons...
    Sure there's a reason for them not to stack, and that is I think it would be reasonable and indeed what the developers intended if the game decided only to take one armor buff at a time no matter what it is. After all adding +80 armor just by using two skills would be somewhat unbalancing.

Why don't you just try it? Cast Armor of Earth, let a mountain troll or white mantle hit you a few times, then add Physical Resistance. Unless something's changed since the last time I try it, you still take the same amount of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by skuldnoshinpu
    Sure there's a reason for them not to stack, and that is I think it would be reasonable and indeed what the developers intended if the game decided only to take one armor buff at a time no matter what it is.
    ...except nothing else works like that. Armor of Earth stacks with Kinetic Armor and Ward against Elements/Harm. I can't immediately think of any pair of armor buffing spells that have been shown not to stack.

After all adding +80 armor just by using two skills would be somewhat unbalancing.
    Armor of Earth is strippable and Physical Resistance comes with a large malus to elemental armor, so the combination doesn't seem that unbalanced. And it's closer to 100 armor vs physical with a high Earth attribute. :D

Why don't you just try it? Cast Armor of Earth, let a mountain troll or white mantle hit you a few times, then add Physical Resistance. Unless something's changed since the last time I try it, you still take the same amount of damage.
    Well, I just tried it against a Jungle Troll outside Maguuma Stade and they do stack.

Informal observations of damage range:

No armor buffs (60AL Geomancer's): 16-39 damage (high end are probably criticals)
    Armor of Earth alone (+62AL): 6-17 or so
    Armor of Earth and Physical Resistance (cast in that order): 4-8
    Armor of Earth and Physical Resistance and Kinetic Armor (+42AL): 2-5

I didn't try casting Physical Resistance first, but I don't see why the order would matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Wallaby
    ...except nothing else works like that. Armor of Earth stacks with Kinetic Armor and Ward against Elements/Harm. I can't immediately think of any pair of armor buffing spells that have been shown not to stack.

Armor of Earth is strippable and Physical Resistance comes with a large malus to elemental armor, so the combination doesn't seem that unbalanced. And it's closer to 100 armor vs physical with a high Earth attribute. :D

Well, I just tried it against a Jungle Troll outside Maguuma Stade and they do stack.

Informal observations of damage range:

No armor buffs (60AL Geomancer's): 16-39 damage (high end are probably criticals)
    Armor of Earth alone (+62AL): 6-17 or so
    Armor of Earth and Physical Resistance (cast in that order): 4-8
    Armor of Earth and Physical Resistance and Kinetic Armor (+42AL): 2-5

I didn't try casting Physical Resistance first, but I don't see why the order would matter.
    Hmm..... maybe when I tried it it was against something doing elemental damage, after all. Thanks for the testing. Maybe I should rethink my Ele soloing builds, then.

Another good example of +armor stacking would be the Warrior shouts and stances. They all stack on each other, as does Armor of Earth or Phys Resistance on top of that. Hehehe, I know cause I run a tactics based W/Mo in FoW and go from taking 16 dmg Fire Storm from Shadow Elems to like 4-8. :D