PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me help you in Fow or Uw.. asking advise.

Lately I've been spending some time joining groups for Fow or Uw. I'm far from the most experianced but I pride myself on being a team player and such.

My low down..

Health 492 (major Vigor)
    Energy 70
    Fire (+2 major & +1head gear)15
    Eng Storage (+1minor)10
    Earth (+1minor)9

Being a Ele/Mes, I advertise being an echoing Nuker w/ Wards when needed.

Always nice if that Monk through that extra enchantment on me.. hehe. But I live with what I have by being smart and avoiding the main agro bubble until its time to lay down distruction. With this setup I do lack any type of self Defence besides Ward melee for team.

Normally I run..

Flare (cuppled with Fire attunment & Ether Renewal for spaming hp & eng regen)
    Fire Storm ( alternating echo depending)
    Meteor (alternating echo depending)
    Arcane Echo
    Ward Melee (15sec dir.. +50% evade group aoe buff)
    Fire Attunement
    Ether Renewal
    Rezz Sig

I normally echo one of the two Nukes. Exhaustion really isn't an issue if the team is smart( we all pray ;) ).

Ward Melee normally isn't used unless something breaks through to the back chars(monks/ele & what not)

Now my question. How would you in your eyes add more depth to this build for Grouping & me? What would you change? Flare is mostly a spam for when I wish
    Eng Regen with its fast refresh.

Outside of Fow or Uw I swap out certain skills to include striping Hexes or Enchantments if needed, dependent on team make up. But normally my skill bar doesn't change much.

I've yet to to get to Fire Island just yet. Lacking still one of the attribute 15 quests still ;( But I make do as I can.

Thoughts?
    And my thanks ;)

I'm pretty experienced in there now and i can give you a few advice. Personally i think your build lacks some effects that can make you truly appreciated. I don't really like Ether Renewal in FoW or UW, but that's me, not saying it's not good. By Meteor i assume you mean Meteor Shower, otherwise it's pretty bad :)

Here's what i do as a nuker with added effects:

Glyph of Energy : no exhaustion and can cast Meteor Shower even if i'm down at 5 energy. With 15 sec cooldown i can use it really enough and with only this as energy management skill i'm fine. I really nearly never run out of energy, just make sure you use it every time it's ready, and if you're about to cast a costy skill and see that your glyph is ready in 3 sec, wait. Also pre-cast it about 10 sec before fights, this way when you're done casting your first costy spell it's ready again for your second.

Meteor Shower : boom boom, big damage...

Fire Storm : good constant damage

Fireball : you don't want only DoT AOEs, sometimes it's good to have damage NOW and not in 10 seconds time, especially good on often moving units like warrior types.

Immolate : just much much more damage than flare for the energy if you consider the burning. I understand that flare is for your renewal tough

Maelstrom : this is PRICELESS in FoW and UW. Cast it on monks pack, elementalist packs, etc. and they're 100% disabled for 10 seconds. It works wonder and even if you would put 0 points in water i'd still pick it

Blurr Vision : kinda like ward vs melee, 50% miss, except it's a hex so they can't move out of it and it can be used on rangers too. Works quite well.

Armor of Mist : a defensive and escaping spell, helps surviving a lot. I really don't think Rez Signet is worth it. You'll use it ONCE and then it's over, there's really nothing recharging it down there (or very very few things at least). It -might- save the team, but imo if you, as an ele, are the ONLY survivor of your team, this team is actually not worth staying with 95% of the time and sucks for the other 5%, restart. Any good warrior or monk will flee when the situation is clearly desperate. Usually you want the whole team fighting to death with 1 person carrying rebirth escaping, at start you can decide with your team who are the potential team savers (rebirth carriers!) and if all but one of them is dead the FIRST thing that guy does is flee while the others die holding the mobs.

Well, that's my build, hope that helps. If you like Fire/Earth, you can substitute Maelstrom for Eruption (AOE blind effect, really useful too) and Blurr for Ward vs Melee or Elements (elements is pretty useful too when you wanna do Wailing Lord, etc, but in UW i find Melee more useful overall... it depends on your team's strength)

My ele build for UW:
    fire magic: 12+1+1
    Prot prayers:9
    energy storage: rest of att points +2

This is my build:
    Elemental attunement
    Meteor shower
    Fire storm
    Fireball
    Rodgorts Invocation
    Inciderary bonds
    Vital blessing
    Rebirth

As soon as you enter the area, throw vital blessing on yourself for that extra 160 or so health boost. Before each battle, throw on ele attune, and cast meteor shower, then fire storm, rotgords, inciderary bonds, then spam fireball. Energy shouldn't be a problem due to ele attunement.

First off I don't and wount play the bandaid E/Mo(over used & played.. smite crapola).. I stated I was a E/Mes atm rest used, time to see. IFI wounted to yake the easy I would go Smiting.

But I'm not askimg or care for a /m secondary.....jolly bally g... yes some of us arn't a E/Mo ,.......................................

Quote Originally Posted by Patccmoi
    I'm pretty experienced in there now and i can give you a few advice. Personally i think your build lacks some effects that can make you truly appreciated. I don't really like Ether Renewal in FoW or UW, but that's me, not saying it's not good. By Meteor i assume you mean Meteor Shower, otherwise it's pretty bad :)

Here's what i do as a nuker with added effects:

Glyph of Energy : no exhaustion and can cast Meteor Shower even if i'm down at 5 energy. With 15 sec cooldown i can use it really enough and with only this as energy management skill i'm fine. I really nearly never run out of energy, just make sure you use it every time it's ready, and if you're about to cast a costy skill and see that your glyph is ready in 3 sec, wait. Also pre-cast it about 10 sec before fights, this way when you're done casting your first costy spell it's ready again for your second.

Meteor Shower : boom boom, big damage...

Fire Storm : good constant damage

Fireball : you don't want only DoT AOEs, sometimes it's good to have damage NOW and not in 10 seconds time, especially good on often moving units like warrior types.

Immolate : just much much more damage than flare for the energy if you consider the burning. I understand that flare is for your renewal tough

Maelstrom : this is PRICELESS in FoW and UW. Cast it on monks pack, elementalist packs, etc. and they're 100% disabled for 10 seconds. It works wonder and even if you would put 0 points in water i'd still pick it

Blurr Vision : kinda like ward vs melee, 50% miss, except it's a hex so they can't move out of it and it can be used on rangers too. Works quite well.

Armor of Mist : a defensive and escaping spell, helps surviving a lot. I really don't think Rez Signet is worth it. You'll use it ONCE and then it's over, there's really nothing recharging it down there (or very very few things at least). It -might- save the team, but imo if you, as an ele, are the ONLY survivor of your team, this team is actually not worth staying with 95% of the time and sucks for the other 5%, restart. Any good warrior or monk will flee when the situation is clearly desperate. Usually you want the whole team fighting to death with 1 person carrying rebirth escaping, at start you can decide with your team who are the potential team savers (rebirth carriers!) and if all but one of them is dead the FIRST thing that guy does is flee while the others die holding the mobs.

Well, that's my build, hope that helps. If you like Fire/Earth, you can substitute Maelstrom for Eruption (AOE blind effect, really useful too) and Blurr for Ward vs Melee or Elements (elements is pretty useful too when you wanna do Wailing Lord, etc, but in UW i find Melee more useful overall... it depends on your team's strength)
    I would suggest a more offensive then defensive build for FOW or UW. Ideally you will not take aggro, and if you are it is often because you have built up DP or have lacking armor / playing too aggresively. I personally prefer ele attunement to glyph of E and use glyph of elemental power alot to boost my showers. All up to you however.

I would reccomend you simplify. I have gone to Fissure and UW with 3 main skills, wards and energy management. Have made more than 30 plus runs.

Fissure

Meteor Storm
    Blind or Glimmering Mark
    Firestorm or Eruption
    Lightening orb
    Ward ( your choice)
    An attunement or glyph of energy
    Swirling Aura
    Whatever else I want to bring: Flare or Envenrate or even Sprint

UW

Meteor Storm
    Firestorm or Eruption
    Gale
    Chain Lightening for the Grasping Darkeness
    Wards Which ever your team wants Melee or Foes
    Energy Management
    A choice of Armor or Sprint

My states are adjusted at air/fire/earth around 10 and energy around 8. I use a superrior to bring me to 16 in any of the above categories. I usually never have energy problems. I also do 5 and 6 man smite runs.

Keep it simple. Chain, Metor Shower and Firestorm or Eruption are my staples. They do really lovely damage when maxed. For Fssure take a blind and for UW take a slow down. In UW water works well also. So sometimes I vary the package to eliminate boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by scamPOR
    I would suggest a more offensive then defensive build for FOW or UW. Ideally you will not take aggro, and if you are it is often because you have built up DP or have lacking armor / playing too aggresively. I personally prefer ele attunement to glyph of E and use glyph of elemental power alot to boost my showers. All up to you however.
    Eruption, Blurred Vision, Maelstrom, and Ward Against Melee are all team savers. No point in relying on the protection monks to do all the work, a team with warders and eruption almost always lasts longer in UW/FoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuth of CoR
    Eruption, Blurred Vision, Maelstrom, and Ward Against Melee are all team savers. No point in relying on the protection monks to do all the work, a team with warders and eruption almost always lasts longer in UW/FoW.
    I consider Maelstrom to be extremely offensive too. Every time i bring it the first pack of 2 monks 1 mesmer 1 warrior is ALL dead when the 10 sec of Mael is done. Every time i'm not Ele and nobody brings it this packs takes at least 30-45 seconds because of the 2 monks that keep using Heal Area. Taking out all healing power is one of the most offensive things you can do! If for you offense = pure damage and nothing else, i think you're missing on something.

And altough i don't plan on taking aggro, it DOES happen. Unless you're with your guild and done many runs with the same team, i don't rely on warriors 100% to keep the aggro on them. If one falls back half a second it's enough for a warrior enemy to realize you're there stacking damage on them and rushing on you. Armor of Mist can get you out of these situations very easily and i don't think it's wasted at all.

And personally i DO prefer Glyph of Energy over Elem atunement with a mostly fire build because of the big cooldown of nearly all spells. If you precast your glyph, you can use it on first Maelstrom (nearly always my battle opener) , then right after on first Meteor Shower, use 1 Fire Storm without it, it's gonna be ready for your fireball after, etc. You build absolutely no exhaustion and it's ready for nearly every spell costing over 15 energy and about half of those that cost that much. And mostly, you're not vulnerable to the shatter hexes (and there is quite a few) that can throw off your energy management completely when you rely on elem atunement. I tried both and i found myself better off with Glyph most of the time. If i get out of energy, i like being able to cast even a 25 energy spell everytime my glyph is ready even with just 5 energy.

You said to use mael without any points in water, which would make it purely defensive, as the 40 odd damage you would do wouldn't be worth it for the cost as an offensive spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuth of CoR
    You said to use mael without any points in water, which would make it purely defensive, as the 40 odd damage you would do wouldn't be worth it for the cost as an offensive spell.
    I said you COULD do that, not to do it (in my build i have Blurred Vision too which requires points in water).

And if you use a Maelstrom with 0 attrib on a pack of monks it can easily prevent 4-5 healing from each monk, which allows your team to kill them much faster. It's offensive in this way, not by dealing lots of damage necessarily but by preventing healing.