PC Gaming News

View Poll Results: Should GW stop users from selling on eBay?

Voters
168. This poll is closed
  • Yes, it's not good for GW's economy!

113 67.26%
  • No, it doesn't bother me, let them make money!

49 29.17%
  • Other, and I'll post why.

6 3.57%
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Should something be done about eBay?

Is anyone else not liking that eBay is full of Guild Wars stuff?

Do a search for Guild Wars Sigil and then find a trash can so you catch your breakfast. It's sick.

You can type in Guild Wars Gold and you come up with 500+ auctions.

WTH is up with this? Shouldn't these people be stopped?

All that needs to be done is for Guild Wars to coordinate with eBay, and stop users from listing it. Not a tough thing to do imo.

Gah, I messed up the title
    Last edited by ReZon; 02-06-2005 at 18:09.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I looked up on Anet and Guild Wars websites that it is against the ToS to sell any kind of item for money, as it is property of the game companies...

I've heard some lame excuse that people are "selling the time" to get around this legal mumbo jumbo. I think that is complete crap, and if these people were found and sued I think Anet would win... I dunno Either that or they should start banning accounts of people who they can find that do this kind of stuff.

I agree I emailed them and asked them if it is legal they said no but they still do nothing about it... I would love to see their GW accounts be suspended

I completely agree. Ive hated this trend since way back to diablo, when you could go on to Ebay and find 30-40 thousand listings of people selling ingame items for real cash. Im sorry, but i am not that obsessed with getting something that im gonna pay real cash for it. No way in hell. Unfortunately, i dont think there is a way to crack down on these people.

It is against the ToS, as knowing what happened other games, ArenaNet actually included a more covering statement that doesn't allow the "selling time" argument to hold.

My ultimate dream is that with the threading technology they can introduce a system for tracking who is doing this and just start banning accounts. I'd suggest banning the sellers, announcing it, and then banning the buyers. Buyer fear would work far more wonders than seller fear.
    Perhaps the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others...

A proud returning member of the Order of Dii
    Phaeax Of Dii (Tyrian Me/N) Alennia The Precise (Tyrian W/E) Arceloph The True (Tyrian Mo/P)
    Astraea The Swift (Canthan R/A) Sans Gravitas (Canthan Rt/N) Cryphaestus Dii (Elonian D/Me)
    Jenova Sans Seraph (Genesis E/D) Conjure Blame (PvP)

GWOnline.Net Member
    I never have and probably never would sell or buy any in-game item off eBay...but I don't get why you guys are so bothered, other than the fact it's illegal. You must have a very weak stomach if this makes you feel sick :confused:

Weak stomach? Things like this tend to destroy the economy of games.
    Supporters :D of this site are precious....Volunteers are priceless!
    Ask us how you can help!

I dislike it not so much that someone's making profit off of a game.

I dislike it in that people are doing something against what they agreed to and may get the idea that breaking the rules (especially online) may come without consequence.
    Perhaps the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others...

A proud returning member of the Order of Dii
    Phaeax Of Dii (Tyrian Me/N) Alennia The Precise (Tyrian W/E) Arceloph The True (Tyrian Mo/P)
    Astraea The Swift (Canthan R/A) Sans Gravitas (Canthan Rt/N) Cryphaestus Dii (Elonian D/Me)
    Jenova Sans Seraph (Genesis E/D) Conjure Blame (PvP)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantal Dubois
    Weak stomach? Things like this tend to destroy the economy of games.
    Exactly. It starts out small, but then more and more people realize, " hey! Look at all the people that are buying stuff on ebay for REAL cash!! Screw selling stuff ingame if i can make real money off of it!' And then before you know it, if you wanna buy an item at all, your outta luck. There wont be as many people selling it in game. Just look at Diablo 2, and all the crap for all the other online games that are sold on ebay. Thats why places like RpgTraders rock, beacuse its sold online, but for in game currency.

We'll just take sigils for example.

Sigils are hard to come across in game cheap. Why? In part, because people are making $20.00 a sigil off of eBay. Translate $20.00 into gold in Guild Wars and it comes out to about 100k. Sure you can find 100k cheaper on eBay than $20.00, but players should not be dictating in game market prices due to RL cash. It's BS.

This shouldn't be the way the game's economy works, and it needs to stop.

BTW: I'm not saying that the market is completely the way it is because of eBay, it's just definitely NOT helping.