PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

W/R an armored bowmen build?

I was wondering if a build like this might work for PvE. I'm not really far in the game, so I dont know skills, but if i'd have to guess attributes

11 strength
    10 marksmen (or maybe wilderness if you want trapper)
    10 tactics

with Galdiators armor

Yes? No? Idiotic idea?

Any help is appreciated.

Well as I see it, there is no point in boosting your marksmanship! How many times are you going to stand on long range with a warrior??????? :confused:

I would foucus the power on strength, your favoured weapon and wilderness survival!

But that is my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by DDragos
    Well as I see it, there is no point in boosting your marksmanship! How many times are you going to stand on long range with a warrior??????? :confused:

I would foucus the power on strength, your favoured weapon and wilderness survival!

But that is my opinion!
    he wants to use a Bow (im presuming from your post) so thats why he's chosen Marksmanship.

Warriors do look cool carrying bows, and ive often thought it would be usefull to be able to use both a sword and a bow.
    | Malkieth Darkfrost - lvl 20 Necromancer\Elementalist (ascended) |
    | Kyleane Coldlight - lvl 20 Warrior\Ranger (ascended) |
    | Alycia Moonbreaker - lvl 8 Elementalist\Ranger |
    (Owned all 13 sets of Warrior armour at once. See the full collection here)

Yes, I do want to use a bow. Ideally, I want to make it like the W/E that you see on the open back flap of the box, except without the Elementalist.
    I was thinking more along the lines of massive armor penetration.
    Any suggestions?

Interesting. Don't know how energy will play out since you can't have expertise but at least you could take more hits... Perhaps some stance of some sort to help out on energy levels?
    Lv 20 Mo/Me/E | Lv 20 W/R | Lv 20 R/Me | Lv 8 E/Me

I was thinking maybe gladiators, but that would deviate from the theme. Maybe an interrupter thats tough to kill?

GWOnline.Net Member
    My thoughts would be to go still Ranger as primary for such. Expertise is a very nice skill to reduce Energy usage. I know you wish to be a W/R... but you will suffer hard energy wise even with Glad armor on, Imo. Plinging effects from Bows really are not cheap. Specially done in rapid sucession. You normally can fire an arrow around every 3 or so sec. With the lacking eng tic regen that Warriors don't receive... /shudder.

Going R/W would still allow stances from each side. Expertise for Stances for both sides since such(only spells are not effected by Expertise) is effected by Expertise.

Last thought.. if your using a bow. Your armor wount matter much since you will only be getting hit by spell effects if your lucky(stances can raise your defence when needed). Ranger armor> warrior armor for such with its built in def against long range damage if used correctly..

But hey, you might lack expertise and a higher Energy pool. But boy howdy when your in melee range using that bow you will take less damage & have more Hps ;).

Going W/R or R/W for melee compared to distance is a whole nother ball of wax.

This is just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Balan
    My thoughts would be to go still Ranger as primary for such. Expertise is a very nice skill to reduce Energy usage. I know you wish to be a W/R... but you will suffer hard energy wise even with Glad armor on, Imo. Plinging effects from Bows really are not cheap. Specially done in rapid sucession. You normally can fire an arrow around every 3 or so sec. With the lacking eng tic regen that Warriors don't receive... /shudder.

Going R/W would still allow stances from each side. Expertise for Stances for both sides since such(only spells are not effected by Expertise) is effected by Expertise.

Last thought.. if your using a bow. Your armor wount matter much since you will only be getting hit by spell effects if your lucky(stances can raise your defence when needed). Ranger armor> warrior armor for such with its built in def against long range damage if used correctly..

But hey, you might lack expertise and a higher Energy pool. But boy howdy when your in melee range using that bow you will take less damage & have more Hps ;).

Going W/R or R/W for melee compared to distance is a whole nother ball of wax.

This is just my thoughts.

I think the reason he wants to go W/R is for strength for armor penetration. i do beleive he said that in one of his posts?

Yep thats exactly it. I basically want a Ranger that can take damage, and has a high consistency of Armor Penetration.

Also adressing the energy, there are quite a few good bow attacks that are only 5 energy, although penertrating attacks is 10

I was also maybe thinking as a spell interrupter. And I think I posted all this before.

This is what you should do:

Make a new roleplaying char.
    Make it a ranger.
    Do the skill quests to get the skills you can get in pre-ascalon.
    Play through the first or first 2 missions in new ascalon without expertise.
    Then you'll realise how screwed everyone /R using a bow is, without expertise and you'll realise that a bow only works in the hands of a ranger. The warrior's 20 energy is by far not enough for a ranger. Most ranger skills have an energy cost of 10. That's 2 shots right there.
    Last edited by TW III; 07-08-2005 at 00:00.