PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar the True
    I figure a build like this needs two good energy sources to run smoothly, and Ethereal Burden could give you a good 3/4 of a source while also intensifying the threat your build presents the opponent. I'd say Drain Enchant might be more effective than Power Drain due to babysitting issues. These are both testing suggestions.
    I can't see Ethereal Burden being 3/4th of a source, think about it it's +12 energy (considering cost) every 48 seconds... that's 0.25 energy/sec.

Mantra of Recall is around is 0.9 energy / second. It's not even comparable. As for Drain Enchantment instead of Power Drain, that's something i'll actually try and see how it goes. It gives less, but i could likely use it instantly every time it's ready which might make it nearly as good in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar the True
    BTW, as someone who likes to play rangers, pls quit advocating Spirit Shackles, I beg you! :lol:
    I'm a big R/Me fan myself, but i'm about to make a separate thread on Shackles just to see them more included in builds! I can't believe that absolutely NO build i ever read here include it. It's 1 skill spot and it shuts down a prof alone, i can't believe people can't save 1 spot to fit it in sometimes...

Now that I have Ineptitude for this character, out goes Mantra of Recovery, and likely with it Ethereal Burden. As for Spirit Shackles, my W/Me PvP Energy Drainer finally had to cut it due to lack of fastcast, but that's the only reason I can think of not to run it. Why W/Me? When's the last time you threw an AC on a warrior? ;-)

Ether Lord is perfect for warriors and with Fear Me and Signet of Weariness, who needs energy?

I've used this build as how the OP put it and it's very very effective.. esp for those who are newer to pvp as u dun have to keep baby-sitting or constantly watch out for casting animations...

plus hit and run is effective too, as i find myself always on the run from warriors.. The key i feel is to know how to manage ur energy.. A well managed mesmer can constantly put the hexes down on the enemy..

Oh and Poison ranger is this build's best friend.. :happy34:

Personally I feel Mantra or Recall is much better than Energy Drain.. But i'm still trying new things with this build.. oh the joy! :clap:

I am playing this build PvE right now, and lacking Spirit Shackles, which I probably won't use outside PvP. My mesmer is also Mes/Nec until I ascend her, and she will be Mes/Nec for any post ascension missions, just switch to Mes/Mo for PvP. So now, my question (opinions requested). I have a +5 Insightful Head and +20% enchanting staff wrap hoarded away. I have 7 characters, 2 are monks. Since there is no Healing Staff I have put off using these mods for the monks, but.....

Considering that while PvE she will use Blood Ritual and PvP she will use Vengeance, and the 20% enchanting would affect Mantra of Recall, is it worth putting these items on a staff for her?

Too bad it doesn't affect Mantra of Persistence.
    Last edited by Vexed Arcanist; 23-08-2005 at 16:52.

An enchanting boost item is not what you want to use for mantra of recall.

It lasts 20 seconds you gain 31 E from it and it cost you 15 E. So for every 20 seconds you are getting an extra 16 energy.

With a +20% enchantment item.

It now lasts 24 seconds so you get an extra 16 energy every 24 seconds. You are actually worse off with mantra, but better off with vengeance.

Sir Syrath

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed Arcanist
    I am playing this build PvE right now, and lacking Spirit Shackles, which I probably won't use outside PvP. My mesmer is also Mes/Nec until I ascend her, and she will be Mes/Nec for any post ascension missions, just switch to Mes/Mo for PvP. So now, my question (opinions requested). I have a +5 Insightful Head and +20% enchanting staff wrap hoarded away. I have 7 characters, 2 are monks. Since there is no Healing Staff I have put off using these mods for the monks, but.....

Considering that while PvE she will use Blood Ritual and PvP she will use Vengeance, and the 20% enchanting would affect Mantra of Recall, is it worth putting these items on a staff for her?

Too bad it doesn't affect Mantra of Persistence.
    The LAST THING you want is a longer Mantra of Recall. Think about it, it will take longer to get your energy back but you won't gain any benefit from the longer time, all you do is slowing your energy recharge. The longer enchantment staff is really not something you'd want here.

The +5 energy, well that's your thing to decide. It's not needed (i always prefered Wand/Focus for the benefits they gave personally) but it could be a good boost if you want to use staff since energy is always an issue. But really don't use your enchantment mod on this, it's such an awesome mods for so many chars don't waste it when it hurts you!

This is a neat little build for PvE as well. I made some "modifications" for PvE, switching out some skills - then you can swap them back out for some PvP action (no changes to attributes)

Imagined Burden -> Migrane
    In PvE, the monsters don't move around as much and I found I wasn't using this spell. Migrane has a lower cooldown time versus Arcane Conundrum. Imagined Burden is definitly a must in PvP in my book.

Arcane Conundrum (I didn't feel I needed both Migrane and Arcane Conundrum) -> Phantom Pain
    Another DOT for added damage.

Mantra of Recall -> Energy Tap
    Energy management isn't as big of an issue in PvE since monsters seem to have an "infinite" energy pool and some sort of super regeneration - if all that are left are spirit shackled warriors - you may have an issue.

Now I am not saying this is a solo build; however, it was me (using the modified build), Stephen and Alesia in the desert killing Sand Drakes and Jade Scarabs (as long as there were no more than four) with no problem. I also fought a group of hydras - we all ultimately died but the hexes killed them all after my death :). And I finished "The Warrior's Path" quest fighting centaur Lossua in the desert.

I like this build.

All I can say, is with all those Illusion Hexes, Mantra of Persistance is awesome.

YL

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLab
    Imagined Burden -> Migrane
    In PvE, the monsters don't move around as much and I found I wasn't using this spell. Migrane has a lower cooldown time versus Arcane Conundrum. Imagined Burden is definitly a must in PvP in my book.
    I am only up to Sanctum Cay, but I have been playing this build on missions with Imagined Burden. When there are multiple Warrior types for enemies, always cast it on the second incoming warrior, they always run passed the melee, with a slow effect they will typically turn back to the melee. Even if they don't, the Monk or whoever they were going for can easily out maneuver them.

Also in PvE I haven't seen much use for Spirit Shackles except against White Mantle bosses and such who take forever to kill, so I didn't bother to get it yet.

[edited due to lousey grammar and typos]
    Last edited by Vexed Arcanist; 24-08-2005 at 17:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed Arcanist
    Also in PvE I would see much use for Spirit Shackles except against White Mangle bosses and such who take forever to kill.
    Spirit Shackles is great in PvE for any caster because they love to attack between spells. Soon they have no energy and only attack - effectively eliminating their spells.

YL

This build really shines against wars/rangers, while its nice against enemy casters I still dont feel like I get enough bang for my buck w/ arcane conundrum.