PC Gaming News

Quests that has to been done within a time limit?

I think that's something that would be a lot of fun, and add something more to the PvE side of the game. It would also encourage more offensive builds, not just the farming invinci-monk all over.

Now, this could be done in various ways.

1. There is a town/outpost somewhere with one or more explorable areas around it, just like any other town. But when you enter an area, a timer starts ticking, a 60 minute one for example. (If there are more than one town/area like this, the timers could vary in lenght) So you can only spend a finite amount of time in this area. Then you just run around as usual, and do quests that you get from NPC:s either in the town or stationated out in the timer'ed area. Once the timer hits zero, you and your party are teleported back to the town, regardless if you've completed any quests or not.

2. You get the quests from NPC:s stationated in explorable areas. Once you've finished talking to the NPC and have gotten the quest, the timer starts. The problem is see with this way though is that when you get a quest from an NPC only you get it, not your entire party. Therefore, if done this way, the entire party would need to get the quest in their log if one member gets it, so that the timer would be the same for the whole party.

Personally, I like the first way better. It adds the challenge of completing multiple quests during the time limit, and overall I think this way would be the most convenient and fun. So what do you think, would time limits be a good thing to add to some future explorable areas?

theres a ranger quest with a time limit in pre searing 0_O

And the end of the great northern wall mission has a timer as well

I hate quests with timers.....I would rather take my time and explore or in the case of THunderhead take my time and discuss strategy than feel rushed

Elona's has a timer......anyone fail due to time running out wish there hadn't been one? For that particular mission there is enough time to explain and NOT be rushed but most ppl just dont do it........why then would I want to be bothered by more of this? No thanks

Belgeran

Quote Originally Posted by slakt
    I think that's something that would be a lot of fun, and add something more to the PvE side of the game. It would also encourage more offensive builds, not just the farming invinci-monk all over.

Now, this could be done in various ways.

1. There is a town/outpost somewhere with one or more explorable areas around it, just like any other town. But when you enter an area, a timer starts ticking, a 60 minute one for example. (If there are more than one town/area like this, the timers could vary in lenght) So you can only spend a finite amount of time in this area. Then you just run around as usual, and do quests that you get from NPC:s either in the town or stationated out in the timer'ed area. Once the timer hits zero, you and your party are teleported back to the town, regardless if you've completed any quests or not.

2. You get the quests from NPC:s stationated in explorable areas. Once you've finished talking to the NPC and have gotten the quest, the timer starts. The problem is see with this way though is that when you get a quest from an NPC only you get it, not your entire party. Therefore, if done this way, the entire party would need to get the quest in their log if one member gets it, so that the timer would be the same for the whole party.

Personally, I like the first way better. It adds the challenge of completing multiple quests during the time limit, and overall I think this way would be the most convenient and fun. So what do you think, would time limits be a good thing to add to some future explorable areas?
    The concept of time in a persistent world is interesting, and useful, for game ideas...maybe they can have quests that only appear on certain times of day and only limited number of players can get them (if they can even find them/reach the place where to accept the quest)...and the reward can be more than a simple item or skill; maybe if a certain person finishes the quest really well, he becomes famous for a day (the NPC actually mentions his name to other players or something that has some effect on the world)....

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyman
    Elona's has a timer......anyone fail due to time running out wish there hadn't been one?
    Oh man, don't get me started on that one. Every time I hear the Ghost explain to me how once the ritual has been started it can't be stopped, I want to slap him upside the head. I mean, what sort of idiot would start some irreversable process while 2/3 key ingredients were in the hands of the enemy? Why not wait till you get them, then proceed at your leisure? He's been waiting in the Desert for thousands of years, seems to me he could afford to wait half an hour to have all the pieces assured.

Shiverpeak Stragglers
    now has a timer i believe. if you do it too slow, the stone summit come and kill all the stragglers. well, as long as the main person lives...but she's usually the one they kill first.

It's not really a quest, but the drunken hunters want you to kill a bear within a certain amount of time (3 min or something). If you do, they give you a dwarven ale.

Quote Originally Posted by Emalf
    Shiverpeak Stragglers
    now has a timer i believe. if you do it too slow, the stone summit come and kill all the stragglers. well, as long as the main person lives...but she's usually the one they kill first.
    She is the first one to die because she is the stereotype of a W/Mo. Always rushing in to the fray. If you can get to the group that is attacking her and get inbetween her and them you might have a chance of finishing the quest.
    Mordakai Slivermoon R/E 20(Asc)-Agamarus Slivermoon Mo/Ne 20(Asc)-Morrigan Shadowbane Ne/Me 20(Asc)-Naomi Lowenhardt Me/W 13
    Quote Originally Posted by Freawaru
    You might be familiar with border guards that'll let you cross over for a simple payment, but I assure you that you couldn't pony up enough money to enter my undiscovered country if you tried.