PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

Ele monk replacing us?

I recently found a build for E/Mo that is super efficient and can pretty much replace most monks and not worry about dying. If there is no mesmer, then this build is almost unkillable.

Healing Breeze
    Heal Other
    Ethal Renewal
    Armor of Earth
    Knietic Armor
    Divine Boon
    AoE
    Rez

Basically, just spam healing breeze and Heal other and when your massive mana pool empty just use ethal renwal to gain it all back via la Divine Boon. If you're the target must likely, use armor of earth and knietic armor, and maintain knietic armor, must warrior do like 3 damage to me at that point and a chain lightning only do about 40 damage. Nothing a breeze can't handle. If life is low just use ethal renewal to gain it all back, with like 4-6 enchantment on you, you gain about 20 energy per boon and 100 hp. =D

Two words: Nature's Renewal.

Mo/X can operate under it, E/Mo can't. Simple as that.

But yeah, the build does show promise - it's just too fragile imho. You're relying heavily on enchantments, and more and more people are bringing enchantment removers these days.

What are the attribute point layouts like for this build? I assume the higher the energy storage the better, but you're going to want 12 healing prayers I guess. With few points in Earth Magic, Armour of Earth can seriously weight you down, and you could well find your team-mates out of healing range (because W/Mos are stupid like that :p).

AoE? You mean Aftershock, Crystal Wave? Is it really worth it? Or does AoE now stand for something that I haven't quite got wind of yet... hmm, distinctly possible.

GWOnline.Net Member
    well this build is mainly for 4 vs 4.. yay natural renewal does pwn this build, but rarely anyone bring it into teams or competitive. Enchament removal is not a problem since you got about 4-6 enchament on u the whole time, so unless they rend enchantment u or something you're gonna be fine with boon being the top of the enchantment stack.

The point spread goes like this

Energy: 11
    Earth: 13
    Heal: 10
    all minor runes

GWOnline.Net Member
    Even with Healing Prayers at 12 and Divine boon on, you are healing for 176 hp(Heal other) for 12 energy with an E/mo.

With a Mo/e however you get 12 healing 12 divine and you get 159 hp for only 7 energy(only using orison of healing). With using Heal Other you can heal for 250 hp for only 12 energy. Not to mention runes only affect your primary so you can boost your divine or healing well into 14(or higher) or boost it to 12 from a lower number and use remaining points to go into Earth.

Long run: E/mo can heal more but Mo/* has to heal about half as much as an E/mo plus better armor and the ability to easily use some of the Divine Favor skills turns the Mo/X into a much better healer.

Only skill that was nice for spamming and using Monk skills on a E/mo was Zealot fire+Draw conditions. mmmm that is nice

This build is a great secondary healer but it cannot replace a monk's superiority in healing.

The reason why its a great secondary is it is a good healing backup when it comes to endurance, its ether renewal spells infinite mana unless it is dispelled.

However, no matter how enduring this build is, its healing cannot easily battle a good focus fire spike, making it something that is totally different to what a monk can do.

IGN: Nobleman Azure Me/X [Retired]

Saying PVE is a no brains mode of gameplay doesn't hold water. There are parts here and there where you have to be tactically alert.
    To a point where its more "thinking" than copying metagame builds.

Righty-o Indeed. It just boils down to Quantity VS Quality, us Monks have Divine Favor which boosts our Healing beyond that of an Elementaists and the Elementalists have the energy that far surpasses our energy as Monks. The only thing that can make Monks come close to the Elementalists are those Focus Items that bring your energy up by 20 and up ... which I want SO BADLY!!!!!!!

Corydoris

Quote Originally Posted by Wessss
    well this build is mainly for 4 vs 4.. yay natural renewal does pwn this build, but rarely anyone bring it into teams or competitive. Enchament removal is not a problem since you got about 4-6 enchament on u the whole time, so unless they rend enchantment u or something you're gonna be fine with boon being the top of the enchantment stack.

The point spread goes like this

Energy: 11
    Earth: 13
    Heal: 10
    all minor runes
    I always run Rend Enchants on an Axe W/N.
    Regardless of your ability to keep yourself alive, can you keep others alive? Breeze + Heal Other... how bout I stop hitting you and go for a softer target, can you keep him alive? While your mana is low... you still need time to gain it back with divine boon meaning time that I can beat on my target (which won't be you... due to the armor).

Oh and... they're fixing divine boon, but I understand that you posted this before the changes were made public.

The only thing that can make Monks come close to the Elementalists are those Focus Items that bring your energy up by 20 and up ... which I want SO BADLY!!!!!!!
    Mo/Me
    Mo/N
    Problem solved... with 40 something max mana.

GWOnline.Net Member
    well the thing is that about this build is that you're way more durable that a regular monk, since you don't have to move from any attacks other than mes. you just take the punishment. Only do about 2-6 damage with armor of earth and knitnic armor and 40-60 from a chain lightning :D . The thing about monks is that they got targeted and they get trampled, this build basically make u an invulanable healer, which make the other team kill your teammates first, which screws their targeting up big time. And Healing breeze and heal other are enough heal since they both have like recharge time of 2 seconds, so you just spam that to the max.

My main is a healing monk so I know about the divine part of this, and monk almost run of gas in the mid game, but this build just keep on healing for the whole game. If an opponent targets a monk, then normally about 10 seconds in the monk start running and spamming healing touch on himself and the rest of the team is screwed. How many times have you had like 5 mana left in your mana pool and a warrior or ele bashing you and you're just praying for the next mana so you can cast healing touch or reversal on yourself? Well this build mana is never a problem unless there is a really skilled ranger or a dom mes but then they both can pwn a normal monk anytime anyways. btw I don't use divine boon to heal I just use it for spamming ethal renewal and an extra enchanment.

If you do rend enchantment me, you're gonna die very fast lol.. since you be taking about 200 - 240 damage ;)

Well the only way to test this out is to test this build yourself, timing ethal renwal is a bit hard in the beginning, so it takes awhile to perfect.

PS... for the 7th skill it's not AoE, it's AoR, aura of restoration
    Last edited by Wessss; 25-08-2005 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Wessss
    If you do rend enchantment me, you're gonna die very fast lol.. since you be taking about 200 - 240 damage ;)
    Funny, you don't seem to be running 6 monk enchantments. You're running max of (2) with healing breeze on.

If you can't heal other people as well as a normal monk, then you're a rather useless healer. Any decent team will change targets once they see the heavily reduced damage or start stripping like mad.

Watch some of the BBQ vids out on the net. They are almost exclusively made from the monk's point of view. Watch their energy management. There's Mo/Me and Mo/N. Watch their skills and their energy and their amazing ability to keep their allies alive.

Also, shutdown / interrupt builds aren't based on damage but rather... well shutdown / interrupt. You said this build is mainly for 4v4. Well, the best 4v4 strategy is to get shutdown on the monk and two damage dealers on a soft off target. You have no counters against shutdown which is IMO a much more deadly monk/healer killer than pure damage.
    Last edited by Hydralisk_X; 25-08-2005 at 08:15.

Personally, and call me a traditionalist if you want, I prefer to use Protection Prayers to boost my 'armour', rather than Earth Magic. Don't get me wrong - my second character ever was a Geomancer, and I still love him (not like that).

You're getting hit 40-60 with chain lightning. That's impressive? Stick on PS and you're getting hit for... 40-60 with chain lightning. 3 damage from normal attacks? Use Guardian with Reversal of Fortune and you'll be getting a net heal.

E/Mo can make quite good protectors, but the only time I've ever seen good E/Mo healers, they were using fire and forget heals. Breeze, Vigorous Spirit, Healing Hands, Healing Seed. They were also backed up by 2 primary monks.