PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Useless skills

I'm starting this thread to point out some majorly flawed skills in the game. First of all, the difference between ice spikes and deep freeze. (note: both skills are assuming that you have an attribute level of 12 in water magic.)

Deep Freeze
    Energy cost: 25
    Cast time: 3 secs
    Recharge time: 15 secs
    Reads: "Create a deep freeze at target foes location. Foes in this location are struck for 70 cold damage and move 66% slower for 10 seconds"

Ice Spikes
    Energy cost: 15
    Cast time: 2 secs
    Reads: " Target foe and all nearby foes take 68 cold damage. Foes struck by Ice Spikes move 66 slower for 5 seconds."

Why would I want an extra second of casting time and a cost of 10 more energy to do just 2 more damage and an extra 5 seconds of slow time?
    Deep Freeze is obsolete compared to ice spikes.

This next useless skill is an elite: Keystone Signet. The only signets worth recharging are elite signets like "signet of midnight" and the such. Besides, mantra of signets will recharge any truly useful signets and it wont take up ur elite slot. I have looked up what other people have tried to do with keystone signet, such as signet builds, and they all say the same thing: you can't do enough damage with a signet build for it to be worthwhile.

Also there is Ignorance. This spell is just awful. The only time it would be worthwhile is to someone who's using a keystone sigent build, and even then the person wasnt gonna do much damage anyways.

What I'd like to hear is what you guys think would improve these skills. Also what skills have you guys run into that are useless or near useless.

When it comes to Elementalists, I think we'd save alot of space if we listed the useful skills instead. There are just too many crappy ones to count.

you are aware that deep freeze can effect more than one opponent right? hitting two people with a single deep freeze is much more efficient than casting two seperate ice spikes. it just gets better from there the more enemies you can get.

you may believe the only signets worth recharging are elites, but dont forget that there are many different builds utilizing different job and skill combinations. blessed signet quickly comes to mind when i think about useful signets.

dont know what the skill "ignorance" does as you didnt bother posting what it did. ironic, no? no, i suppose not.

I'd vote for Rust being the worst spell ever.

Sure, it may be useful to half-way counter....um....Healing Signet, but wouldn't it be better to kill someone during their -40 armor period? And who actually has to worry about Healing Signet anyway? What serious Warrior heals that much with it anyway?

Shouldn't a spell called Rust, you know, make metal armor weaker? So in game it could be "target loses X armor for Y seconds."

Oh wait, that would actually be good...hmm...oh well!

Um, Ignorance is a very good skill for Monks packing both Signet of Devotion, Blessed Signet, and Bane Signet, or Signet of Judgment. Don't underestimate that spell. It's completely shut down many a Monk who uses Signets as backup when they're shut down or drained.

Never was a skill better named than Ignorance, as shown by the frequency and nature of those who miss it's use. A hint for the "useless skill" thread starters: You'd do just as well to start a thread called "I'm clueless" - a little humility goes a long way.

And yes, Mind Freeze is indeed useless as it currently exists. An exception that proves the rule. Deep Freeze is clunky in that AoE spells are better in PvE where snares are of limited utility. In PvP where a ten second group snare would be great, its not always easy to get people to bunch up. The cost and time could be managed by a fastcast/inspiration mes, but it is true that the effect is often underwhelming compared to the alternatives.

I do not like seeing all of these "which skill is the most useless?" threads. Every skill in the game has it's uses. Some are more obvious than others, but they are all effective in some way or another. Someone said that Rust sucks. Try tossing that on a monk who uses Blessed Signet or Signet of Devotion. It completely disables Leech Signet due to the fact that it is too slow now to interrupt. Someone also said that Deep Freeze is aweful. I agree the cost is too high, but It affects a MUCH larger area.

As for Ignorance, it completely destroys the chance that that last person on the opposing team is gonna use rez sig. I bring Ignorance almost everytime I use a domination mesmer. As for Keystone Signet, use it with Signet of Weariness to drop a warrior's energy to zero. Combine it with Bane Signet for over a hundred damage and double knockdown.

If you would like to point out any other skills you think are useless, I will be glad to point out some more uses for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dishwasher
    I'm starting this thread to point out some majorly flawed skills in the game. First of all, the difference between ice spikes and deep freeze. (note: both skills are assuming that you have an attribute level of 12 in water magic.)

Deep Freeze
    Energy cost: 25
    Cast time: 3 secs
    Reads: "Create a deep freeze at target foes location. Foes in this location are struck for 70 cold damage and move 66% slower for 10 seconds"

Ice Spikes
    Energy cost: 15
    Cast time: 2 secs
    Reads: " Target foe and all nearby foes take 68 cold damage. Foes struck by Ice Spikes move 66 slower for 5 seconds."
    Deep freeze has around 2 times the radius as Ice spikes, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by dishwasher
    Also there is Ignorance. This spell is just awful. The only time it would be worthwhile is to someone who's using a keystone sigent build, and even then the person wasnt gonna do much damage anyways.

What I'd like to hear is what you guys think would improve these skills. Also what skills have you guys run into that are useless or near useless.
    I'm not sure why people think ignorance or rust are useless, so many characters use signets, especially monks. As for using rust on healing signet, that makes their -40 armor last 3 times longer...I'm not sure what your problem with that is.

I'd much rather use primal echos for anti-signets though, since it destroy's what signets are for (energy management), and effects everyone, not just a single target(like ignorance), although rust can be just as effective.

I suppose I'm a bit late, but I'll contribute to the truth: Ice Spikes has a much smaller radius than Deep Freeze. Deep Freeze is your only really great AOE spell. Ice Spikes is good against clumps of monsters but in PvP it isn't quite the same. Don't forget you're getting a large radius slowing spell that slows for twice as long. Is nice.

Don't think Original Poster thought about that.