PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why does NOTHING attack my pet?!

It's sooo frustrating and impossible to make monsters attack my pet. It's the WORST meatshield ever because nothing ever targets it. The only way to make it attack is to aggro something myself, and when I aggro the group they all come after me! Why can't my pet aggro? Why can't the monsters attack my pet?

If there's some key to triggering a response from the monsters, someone PLEASE tell me about it. I'm dieing to play with a pet to some success, but it's just too frustrating to bear.

try aggroing the monster outside the aggro circle.the pet will rush forward to attack them and the monster will target ur pet instead of u. Works for me when i was doing sand drakes farming......

if it still doesn't work, maybe the monsters in GW had developed a taste for rangers *shudder*

Anet needs to give some basic commands over the pets.

Even if pets were designed like henchmen, that would still make them significantly better than they are now. Not only would it allow spells that only affect party affect the pet, but it would also allow you to use target calling to make your pet rush outside your aggro circle, as to make it easier for the pet to get the initial aggro. When the patch came that gave pets 80 armor at level 20, i pulled out my pet again, only to my dismay that the mobs would never actually attack the pet in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruds
    It's sooo frustrating and impossible to make monsters attack my pet. It's the WORST meatshield ever because nothing ever targets it. The only way to make it attack is to aggro something myself, and when I aggro the group they all come after me! Why can't my pet aggro? Why can't the monsters attack my pet?

If there's some key to triggering a response from the monsters, someone PLEASE tell me about it. I'm dieing to play with a pet to some success, but it's just too frustrating to bear.
    Well, that's A.net's computer AI for ya.

What happens is that if you solo with your pet, you WILL GET target most of the time regardless what you do. There are times when melee characters rush to you, you can sort of run back and then the monsters would attack your pet instead.

The problem is Pet's 80 AL. It's a good thing because now pet can last longer. However, the bad thing is some monsters are just programmed to target foes with the lowest AL. In party situation, Rangers are rarely the first target because warriors would get hit first (since they run in first) and the 2nd target will be casters like Ele and Monk.

Now when you solo, your AL is actually LOWER than the Pet's. :( Before, you were higher so the monsters may attack your Pet.

It's a sad truth. Soloing with a pet has been a pain in the arse unless you have skills to help you survive. Personally, I don't like soloing because soloing makes killing quite slow for me. I would rather bring 2-3 hencies with me and kill faster and more fun!

You just have to live with it. A.net would make all the necessary changes to satisfy PvP, not PvE. Fireball is a great example IMO. Fire element is already 80% of the nukers in the game but the new upgrade still upgrade fire spells. I am sure they didn't do this for PvE. It's PvP baby.

What makes this all the more worse is, once you leave the aggro circle, your pet stops attacking and follows you. Highly aggrevating, the game seriously needs attack commands for Henchman AND Pets.

Its simple really.

All mobs are highly intelligent and hold multiple Masters degree (from either the renowned GFU or SFU), including: Human Socio-Psychology, Dress & Culture, Religion, Sorcery, Philoshophy and History of War.

So its no wonder they know who to attack first.

It all makes me very sad.

Using a longbow to aggro outside the circle doesn't help any either. Since your pet only whimsically follows you, and could be about 30 feet behind you at any given moment, it will often wait to advance or simply take much too long to advance. It only takes a large group of monsters 3 steps or so to enter your circle once you've aggro'd them, and once that happens, it's really hard to shake them. Furthermore, the chance of your pet getting in the action in this 1-2 seconds of time is... well... really, really bad.

I want to play with a pet because it's neat and there are some cool skills and so few people are good/effective beastmasters... But it's too ****ing frustrating. I really want to give beastmastery a good attempt, but the pet AI is just abyssmal.

It all makes me very sad.

Using a longbow to aggro outside the circle doesn't help any either. Since your pet only whimsically follows you, and could be about 30 feet behind you at any given moment, it will often wait to advance or simply take much too long to advance. It only takes a large group of monsters 3 steps or so to enter your circle once you've aggro'd them, and once that happens, it's really hard to shake them. Furthermore, the chance of your pet getting in the action in this 1-2 seconds of time is... well... really, really bad.

I want to play with a pet because it's neat and there are some cool skills and so few people are good/effective beastmasters... But it's too ****ing frustrating. I really want to give beastmastery a good attempt, but the pet AI is just abyssmal.
    Try initial with a normal attack and then move backwards once your pet rushes out. If you do it right, the mobs will run after you then switch target to your pet. You must then stay at that range and fight or they will focus back onto you...

..... but the pet AI is just abyssmal.
    Tell me about it. I was in tombs yesterday and a ele on my team cut in front of Shadowpet X before she could get to my target. She just sat there blocked till I told the ele what was happening. Didn't even have enough sense to go around her teammate what a shame. However, she got a few kills and the team praised her greatly so overall pets have come a long way, but still have a ways to go I think.