PC Gaming News

Thread: TeamSpeak

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii

TeamSpeak

Anybody uses Teamspeak thing?

Or are there anybody who do not use teamspeak?

That's my frustration - I want to find a guild that's good one. PvP, PvE, and GvG yet do not completely depend upon teamspeak.

The thing is that I'm profound deaf so if everybody uses teamspeak, basically I'm being shutted out along with other deaf (or hearing impaired whatever they prefer to call themselves) players.

Any good pvp team (even some pve) is going to use a voip of some sort, be it TS or vent. Voip means communication when your hands are busy attacking, it means fast communication, and it (in a team with radio discipline) means uncluttered communication. And, if you know anything about military history, good communication often means victory, and bad often means defeat. While this may exclude the members of the community who can't hear well, that basically ends up being tough luck. From the perspective of the team, a member who can't communicate for whatever reasons (deafness, not having the voip programs, a variety of other factors...) is a liability. They can't hear the orders given and can't shout out pertinent info themselves.

good luck :confused:

Which sucks for those of us on dial-up who don't have the bandwidth to run both.

maybe there's some kind of "voice typer"? you know, something that can put the words up for you when someone's speaking. I've never heard of one, and I doubt it would even work well, but do some research-- I bet someone has something.

By the way, I use Skype. really good for a small group.

I know that text to speech exists, but I don't know of any speech to text programs you can get.

Hmm... voice recognition to type instead of audio communication... solves the low-bandwidth problem, too.

I should try to get a copy of Naturally Speaking and see how it works.
    Others to try: e-Speaking and SpeakToText
    Last edited by Wippit Guud; 04-09-2005 at 11:06.

for PvE most people don't need Teamspeak. You might have luck finding a guild that is mostly PvE and occasional PvP or GvG. Since they are oriented towards PvE, the lack of Teamspeak may not be such a big problem and I'm pretty sure most would be willing to help you out.

For a GvG or PvP guild, you may be out of luck. Those types of guilds can be fiercely competitive. They would have to learn to communicate without TS to effectively work as a team with you as a member. I just don't think many of those kinds of guilds would be willing to go through the trouble for one member.

Of course the only way to know is to start asking around, like you're doing here. Tell the guild leaders or officers of your problem and they may be willing to let you try out. Best of luck to you!

PS: I don't think any Speech-To-Text software would be able to handle several people talking to each other simultaneously in a noisy environment over a low-quality connection on fairly cheap microphones. Most can barely handle a single person that the AI has been trained to recognize in a quiet room speaking slowly and clearly. And they still make mistakes...

Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusG
    PS: I don't think any Speech-To-Text software would be able to handle several people talking to each other simultaneously in a noisy environment over a low-quality connection on fairly cheap microphones. Most can barely handle a single person that the AI has been trained to recognize in a quiet room speaking slowly and clearly. And they still make mistakes...
    Please note: it's not like the program would be taking everyone, just yourself. All a speech-to-text program does is take what you say in a microphone and type it out on the screen. So it would type whatever you say and send it through the text of the game. No bandwidth loss at all - it's as if you just typed it to everyone.

Mind you, setting it up to hit ENTER at the beginning and end may not be easy, would take some work.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Well, David, thank you for your upbeating post.

The reason I opened this thread was not to whine or insist that everybody else give up Teamspeak. I've been deaf since birth and I've learned to adapt so I definitely don't need anybody's pity or whatever.

The reason I opened this thread was to bring this issue to the community's (and A-net's) attention because the "healthy nondisabled ablebodied" majority tend to overlook there are those who are not so priviledged. I easily know of almost hundred fellow deaf players who would love this game and there are definitely more out there (22 million in US only) so A-Net and other companies are ignoring one demographical group. It is my wish that they will keep teamspeak or whatever they have and explore or develop viable methods of communication for those who are not able to use teamspeak. Perhaps the ability to have text-to-speech is not possible or realistic right now but why not make that a goal?

Speech-to-text is perfectly fine in my book - I don't need to chat. Just listen (read) what my leader said and be aware of what he wants from us as a team. If I have a need I can always type it out, I'm a fast typer after all.

For those who truly know me IRL they know I don't toot my horn that often so when I do, I speak the truth. I've noticed I'm a stronger and better player than the most in terms of being able to read ever-changing battlefield conditions and determine what my team need and how can I contribute to this. I often notice things others do not and when they have, I'm already on it. I even play supporting classes all the time.

Anyway just wanted to bring something to Anet's attention.