PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playing over Satellite?

Does anyone happen to play GW over satellite? And if so, how bad does the latency affect the game? I know fast games like CS etc are pretty much a waste of time, but don't know how a slower paced game is affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Wippit Guud
    Does anyone happen to play GW over satellite? And if so, how bad does the latency affect the game? I know fast games like CS etc are pretty much a waste of time, but don't know how a slower paced game is affected.
    I would advise against it.
    GW does not need high bandwith, but does need a relative good latency. In other words: GW needs the exact oposite of satelite.

yeah, the download is usually fine on a sattelite, but the upload is pathetic, so you'd experience extreme screenwarping, pullback, disconnects. I wouldn't bother...it would only annoy you and ruin a great game.

It depends on how you want to play the game.

Interrupts and healing require fast response. Nuking and minions do not. Generally the builds you would be able to play are better suited for PvE.

The game is worth playing just for PvE, of course, but if it's PvP you're after, you'd have a pretty limited ability.

As a broadband support specialst for a Major ISP i can tell you for a fact that satellite is horrible please please dont get satellite. You will be a lot better off with dial up :) or cable or even dsl. But Satellite uses Dial up any way for its uploaded Downloads will be a little faster but not a nuff to justfie the cost. Now to answer your question i had to play GW on AOL dial up for 2 days and it worked pretty well :) Minimal Lag except downloads where a little slow. Now if you dont like AOL keep in mind a lotta phone companys also offer dial up service. Bellsouth i know offers dial up in the south and verizon also offers dial up. SBC I also belives offers dial up and the best part about there providers dial up is they use a dialer program to connect so on a slower computer they will work better then AOL or MSN if you have any question PM me and i will do my best to answer them for you :)

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Paladin
    As a broadband support specialst for a Major ISP i can tell you for a fact that satellite is horrible please please dont get satellite. You will be a lot better off with dial up :) or cable or even dsl. But Satellite uses Dial up any way for its uploaded Downloads will be a little faster but not a nuff to justfie the cost. Now to answer your question i had to play GW on AOL dial up for 2 days and it worked pretty well :) Minimal Lag except downloads where a little slow. Now if you dont like AOL keep in mind a lotta phone companys also offer dial up service. Bellsouth i know offers dial up in the south and verizon also offers dial up. SBC I also belives offers dial up and the best part about there providers dial up is they use a dialer program to connect so on a slower computer they will work better then AOL or MSN if you have any question PM me and i will do my best to answer them for you :)
    As a supervisor for an outsource call center, lets just say I'm aware of the limitation of gaming over satellite. :) However, when our satellite provider offers us free hardware and a 1/2 price discount on the new Ka-band service (on Anik-F2 for those in the business), it's kinda tempting. Much better than the 24k dial-up connection I share between 2 computers.

But again, I worry about latency on games... 600ms pings is hurting for a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wippit Guud
    I'm looking for the answer to this question. Please no opinions on if it should be done, or could be done, has anyone done it, and will it work?

I have no other options but satellite, believe it or not, some people don't have phone line access. cable or DSL...

Any real life experience with playing GW over satellite connection? Wippit? Anyone?

:sigh:

satellite is the worst form of internet possible. the only advantage it carries, is that it can be installed on just about any house that has a clear view of the southern sky.

aside from that, its expensive as hell and slow as hell. this isnt opinion...its a FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLord
    satellite is the worst form of internet possible. the only advantage it carries, is that it can be installed on just about any house that has a clear view of the southern sky.

aside from that, its expensive as hell and slow as hell. this isnt opinion...its a FACT.
    of course I get all that...but I've not had internet since I moved here to gods country, since July of 05, no phones and the phone company refuses to lay lines for us...I was a guild leader, had to turn over my guild and my website to someone else to handle, now I have but only one option, Satellite...

I'll pay the 100 dollars a month if I can actually play Guild Wars again...hence that is why I am asking if anyone has tried it, as crappy as it may be...it is the only option I have. I'm listening...

hardly anyone has tried it cuz its a FACT...you see FACT that it stinks.

GW is not worth the money, especially if its going to lag for you constantly anwyay.

are you not getting this? nobody with half a brain would goto such lengths.

you'd be better off moving somewhere where you could actually get cable/dsl. it would save you money in the long run.