PC Gaming News
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    GWOnline.Net Member Goonter's Avatar
    Posts

    414

    Fastest way possable w/o UAS.

    Copied and pasted from another thread.
    I post it here to get to get opinions.


    I was listening on winamp a show about GW.
    On it there is made a suggestion for a person to purchase a pvp ready edition of GW.
    Something like - for fifteen extra dollars you can get all skills unlocked for your pvp made characters.
    This way, if a person is intrested in playing competitivly in PvP, they dont have to purchase the game and play through a PvE game they'd rather not involve themselves with.

    Its been my expience in pvp, that I would like to contribute to a team build, but I didnt have a particular skill unlocked and no skill points to get it quickly.
    The solution is - ok, lets substatue that skill for something else so we can get in the game and play.
    But that really slows the game down. Especailly for people that want to jump into the experance.

    I think Anet wants this game to be a PvE/PvP experance, but they cant force players to enjoy both.
    PvPers do have faction points, thats nice.
    The analogy was made, "Its like if you wanted to play with a railgun in Q3, but you have to unlock it with x amount of kills with a shotgun"
    Though players that insist on having a good time with Q3 will overcome this barrier, it would only act as a hassle for most and a deterant to others.

    So, I thought about it.
    And I guess I need somebody to help me shoot down this idea, because it seems too perfect.

    Say you want your friend to play GWs cuz you know how much he likes smart, competitive games.
    Then he asks you, "Dont I have to grind a character through the game to get the skills to play your teams builds?"
    And you say to him, "No, just join our guild, we have all the skills unlocked"

    So this is how it would work.
    Once you start a guild, every skill that is unlocked amongst the players in your guild, is unlocked at your guildhall for your PvP created characters.
    If a player leaves, the skills he brought to your guild leaves with him.

    So what this means is, 6 players can play very casually play through pve and start a guild with all skills unlocked.
    Yet, none of those 6 players have UAS.
    The skills are unlocked between the six of them for the whole guild and therefor anyone in that guild enjoys the benefits.
    A PvEr could still grind, and must grind, if they want to unlock every skill for themselves with one or more characters because the additional skills thier guild would give them would not help thier PvE characters to unlock skills any faster.
    If there is any stipulation it would be that your guilds unlocks can only be customized at your guildhall, so you cant go to tombs with all skills unlock.


    Id like to extend this idea just a little further.
    What can we add to the guildhalls? People want storage areas, merchants, etc.
    How about a weapons rack? Ok, that idea isnt new, but what if...
    What if any weapon on your guilds weapons rack is a weapon that anyone can use for PvP created characters?
    Much in the same fashion that you get your weapon customized to add damage and then its pretty much off the market, this weapons rack would insist that you customize it for the guild.
    Now the weapon is off the market but its used by everyone on your guild at your guildhall for bonus damage as long as its on the weapons rack.
    Thats just an idea on the side though.


    Really what Im getting at is - do you think UAS possible under the machanics I suggested? Is it fair for you? Would people lose out because of this, or would it help people move along in your opinion?

    Im going to try to make up a counter argument.

    "But that would make more unexperanced players because they would have all the skills avalibule to them with no understanding of how to use them."

    Honestly, I dont understand half the skills Ive unlocked.

    Anyhow, there are no brick walls in brainstorming solutions.
    So this argument is a bad excuse.
    When Anet implements interguild matches so guilds can practice together, this inexperance will fly away faster than the experance of 100+ hours of PvE can give you.

    Let me know what you think.

  2. #2
    I suggested this exact thing about a month ago, unlocks for your guild, it's a brilliant concept but one I don't think will be implemented..

  3. #3
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    190
    I dunno... I get the impression it'll be abused by the same people who don't do anything themselves already, expecting others to do all the hard work so they can reap the rewards themselves.

    You have to earn the faction to unlock skills for a reason in PvP. You have to earn the XP to get the skill point and earn the cash to pay for a skill in PvE for a reason.

  4. #4
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    533
    what a great idea but why not make it that for 15 bucks you can get 1000000 fame and have all skills, weapon addons and runes cause that would be so coooool
    [/sarcasme]


    pvp'ers can already unlock all skills etc with relative ease
    just play a GvG and you already have enough faction to unlock a basic skill
    900 faction for flawless and +160 faction for killing the other team

  5. #5
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    183
    What about the people that have actually worked to unlock the skills they have? You might as well sell unlock all skills on ebay along with gold and other things.

    While it's a different spin and creative, it's unfair to those that already have the game (and besides I believe they already said they will not be doing a UAS).

  6. #6
    GWOnline.Net Member awiggin's Avatar
    Posts

    1,068
    This is not Q3, it's Guildwars.
    This topic has been beaten to death repeatedly.
    In peoples effort to make this into another game, they could well ruin it for everyone else. As far as i'm concerned it has become way to easy to unlock stuff now. Part of the draw of this game was the challenge, now it's become so easy to unlock that it's no challenge at all.
    Similarly they have nerfed PvE missions to the point that it requires very little skill at all to complete them.
    I think in listening to the lazy people who think that instant gratification is a way of life, ANet has made their biggest mistake. I only hope the expansion won't take the same route.

    Ender

  7. #7
    GWOnline.Net Member Goonter's Avatar
    Posts

    414
    Its not Q3? really?
    Its an analogy to another compitive game, and it served its purpose well.

    And honestly, I dont think Anet will implement it either because its to much of a radical change. It would also make faction points almost mute.

    But if youve read it carefully, this idea puts everyone on even ground - PvE and PvP characters, with no one being "lazy".
    The effects only take place in GvG matchs.
    So thats rated GvG, unrated GvG, and hopefully in the future, interguild matchs.
    Areans and HoHs are still a matter of your own set of skills to bring to the table for your team.
    So this isnt really "UAS"

    But however, there are other solutions already.
    Some players are encouraged to brake the EULA and buy accounts that are completely unlocked. Why?
    I know a person doing this, not to pwn n00bs. Hes doing it to enjoy PvP right now, the way he wants to, after hunderds of hours in PvE.
    Impatient, maybe.
    But imo, from a pvp perspective, justifiably so.
    Last edited by Goonter; 20-09-2005 at 19:09.

  8. #8
    Let's leave ideas of "that" kind to SOE please. :)

  9. #9
    GWOnline.Net Member mumerikram's Avatar
    Posts

    438
    Biggest problem that I see with this idea is that ppl will start selling their guild membership either in game or worse on ebay. It is not hard to unlock all the skills in the game. I have 3 characters with about 200 hours each, and I have all the skills in the game unlocked, and all the runes in the game unlocked. All I did was PvE. I used faction to get Sup Vigor and Sup Absorb. I know ppl in game who have every single mod unlocked as well and have more than 1000 hours of gameplay. If this idea is implemented, ppl will start scamming newcomers or sell their guild membership. Also they can use it to threaten others in the guild, or destroy a guild.
    That's why this idea must not be implemented in the game.

  10. #10
    GWOnline.Net Member Goonter's Avatar
    Posts

    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahastar Darktalon
    Let's leave ideas of "that" kind to SOE please. :)
    Sure, good idea...


    Heres another idea copy and paste from someone with the same idea along these lines. But its more to the point, and only used within intraguild matches.

    I know suggestions have been made for In-Guild matches. It'd be nice to have a way to do friendly test builds and friendly fights that don't affect anything other than perhaps an in-guild ladder.

    My suggestion is to have multiple styles of In-Guild matches, and one of those be UAS. It could allow players to test builds that they haven't unlocked skills for.

    The only downside I see to this is what if you can only get on when most of your guild isn't? (I work when everyone else is on any more)

    Perhaps toss in a special arena for this instead/as well?

    That idea as well as the one I proposed, though different, are about saving time. Not a bad idea.




    Quote Originally Posted by mumerikram
    Biggest problem that I see with this idea is that ppl will start selling their guild membership either in game or worse on ebay.
    If you precieve that to be a problem, it already exsist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goonter
    Some players are encouraged to brake the EULA and buy accounts that are completely unlocked. Why?
    I know a person doing this, not to pwn n00bs. Hes doing it to enjoy PvP right now, the way he wants to, after hunderds of hours in PvE.
    Impatient, maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by mumerikram
    I have 3 characters with about 200 hours each, and I have all the skills in the game unlocked.
    I know ppl in game who have every single mod unlocked as well and have more than 1000 hours of gameplay
    Ok, so I need to play 600+ hours to adapt swiftly to the metagame.
    Not because thats how fast it takes me to learn. (skill)
    But because thats how fast it takes to progress through the game. (grind)
    Im not saying I hate the system thats here with passion. Im grinding through the game just fine. Im just saying there may be a better way.

    Quote Originally Posted by mumerikram
    If this idea is implemented, ppl will start scamming newcomers or sell their guild membership. Also they can use it to threaten others in the guild, or destroy a guild.
    Maybe your right.
    If your guild is less than six people small, you probably dont GvG much.
    Invite a person to your guild to GvG, and unlock your newly invited friends skills for a GvG match.
    No need to sell memberships.

    Can players charge for this? yeah.
    Can players charge for running?
    Can players create solobuilds to farm runes, items, materals and charge for them?
    And its all right.
    If you dont want to pay, you make it by your own means.
    Same princple.
    Last edited by Goonter; 20-09-2005 at 22:44.

Posting Permissions

Posting Permissions

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off