PC Gaming News

Sundering Prefix Question

The sundering prefix gives you a chance to hit with armor penetration. Now that ability itself has a chance to occur. What i am curious about is how exactly it works. Say you have a 10/10 sundering bow string on a bow.
    You fire an arrow at an enemy, and have a 10% chance to "activate" the armor penetration. Say that you succeed and activate the armor penetration. Now do you actually penetrate their armor? Or with that arrow you have another 10% shot of actually armor penetrating?
    If this is how it works, it seems AP will never actually occur, or if so it will be extremely rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Selacius
    The sundering prefix gives you a chance to hit with armor penetration. Now that ability itself has a chance to occur. What i am curious about is how exactly it works. Say you have a 10/10 sundering bow string on a bow.
    You fire an arrow at an enemy, and have a 10% chance to "activate" the armor penetration. Say that you succeed and activate the armor penetration. Now do you actually penetrate their armor? Or with that arrow you have another 10% shot of actually armor penetrating?
    If this is how it works, it seems AP will never actually occur, or if so it will be extremely rare.
    a 10/10 sundering mod will have 10% armor penetration 10% of the time. Easiest way to explain this: You swing your sword that has a 10/10 sundering mod on it. For every 100 swings,10%(in this example 10 swings) of those swings will have 10% armor penetration. Which means on 10 of those 100 swings your attacks will have 10% armor penetration and infilict more damage.

You got it almost right.
    If the armor penetration is activated (10%, so 1 hit/shot out of ten), that hit/shot penetrates the armor for 10%.
    My understanding of that last number is that actually 10% of the armorlevel is ignored, as if the victim had a lower armor at that moment.

So let's say the enemy has armor AL80, then IF the armor penetration activates (remember, 1 hit/shot out of 10), that hit/shot would injure the enemy as if he had only AL72 (10% out of 80 is 8).

But I suggest you check out SonOfRah's article on damage. I can't recall the exact location, but I think it's somewhere on the main GWOnline.net site.
    That article has everything tested and explained.

EDIT : IBeJebus beat me to the answer :D
    Last edited by Wandalf; 27-09-2005 at 18:09.