PC Gaming News

Crippling Shot/Poison PvP Build

In a 4v4 setting, at least, this build has served me well. Only problem I've had is if I run into a 2 monk team with both monks running condition removal. In that situation, I can't do what I want, which is keep everyone crippled and poisoned. Here's the build...

R/*
    Expertise 14
    Marksmanship 11
    Wilderness Survival 12

1. Apply Poison
    2. Lightning Reflexes
    3. Crippling Shot {E}
    4. Distracting Shot
    5. Hunter's Shot
    6. Storm Chaser
    7. Throw Dirt
    8. Res Sig

Very simple strategy involved. Apply poison right before the initial clash, then Crippling Shot - target switch - Crippling Shot - target switch... keep that up until you have everyone crippled and poisoned. Now that your team has a great mobility advantage and their whole team is poisoned, pick someone to pound with alternating Crippling Shot and Hunter's Shot, hopefully catching them while they're moving to apply bleeding. If you get low on energy, Storm Chaser can help if you get hit a few times by elemental damage. When under melee attack, Throw Dirt works wonders, and Lightning Reflexes helps to boost your damage output for those tough enemies (as well as helps you evade). Distracting Shot is there to interrupt key skills, like self-heals, condition removal, and resurrect attempts.

In lieu of Storm Chaser, I sometimes throw another bow attack in to increase my damage output, usually Penetrating Attack or sometimes Point Blank Shot. Storm Chaser is fun though, as it helps be get out of sticky situations and chase down runners so that I can hit them with a Crippling Shot and allow the rest of the team to catch up with the target.

I've thought about making this a R/Me build with Fragility for a little extra oomph when I keep applying Crippling Shot and poison, but I wouldn't know how to rearrange my attributes to accomodate for Illusion Magic, or what to replace on my skill bar.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I'd really like to know what you think.

Zerapios
    Looks pretty much like a crippling ranger :)

IMHO I'd suggest to remove lightning reflexes/throw dirt in order to add whirling defense (if you bring it to protect yourself) or tiger's fury (if you bring it for the 33% ias) and.. since I haven't tried it I can't know how the energy is.. but i'd probably drop 2 wilderness to get more expertise and turn off storm chaser/hunter's shoot for another interruption shoot.

Gotta try it soon it looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwitz
    In a 4v4 setting, at least, this build has served me well. Only problem I've had is if I run into a 2 monk team with both monks running condition removal. In that situation, I can't do what I want, which is keep everyone crippled and poisoned. Here's the build...

R/*
    Expertise 14
    Marksmanship 11
    Wilderness Survival 12

1. Apply Poison
    2. Lightning Reflexes
    3. Crippling Shot {E}
    4. Distracting Shot
    5. Hunter's Shot
    6. Storm Chaser
    7. Throw Dirt
    8. Res Sig

Very simple strategy involved. Apply poison right before the initial clash, then Crippling Shot - target switch - Crippling Shot - target switch... keep that up until you have everyone crippled and poisoned. Now that your team has a great mobility advantage and their whole team is poisoned, pick someone to pound with alternating Crippling Shot and Hunter's Shot, hopefully catching them while they're moving to apply bleeding. If you get low on energy, Storm Chaser can help if you get hit a few times by elemental damage. When under melee attack, Throw Dirt works wonders, and Lightning Reflexes helps to boost your damage output for those tough enemies (as well as helps you evade). Distracting Shot is there to interrupt key skills, like self-heals, condition removal, and resurrect attempts.

In lieu of Storm Chaser, I sometimes throw another bow attack in to increase my damage output, usually Penetrating Attack or sometimes Point Blank Shot. Storm Chaser is fun though, as it helps be get out of sticky situations and chase down runners so that I can hit them with a Crippling Shot and allow the rest of the team to catch up with the target.

I've thought about making this a R/Me build with Fragility for a little extra oomph when I keep applying Crippling Shot and poison, but I wouldn't know how to rearrange my attributes to accomodate for Illusion Magic, or what to replace on my skill bar.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I'd really like to know what you think.

LOL I was messing with something like this last night, Crippling Shot+Hunters, but I suck as a Bow Ranger and quickly went back to other Ranger stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerapios
    Looks pretty much like a crippling ranger :)

IMHO I'd suggest to remove lightning reflexes/throw dirt in order to add whirling defense (if you bring it to protect yourself) or tiger's fury (if you bring it for the 33% ias) and.. since I haven't tried it I can't know how the energy is.. but i'd probably drop 2 wilderness to get more expertise and turn off storm chaser/hunter's shoot for another interruption shoot.

Gotta try it soon it looks fun.
    You want to take Expertise higher than 14? I keep flip-flopping between 12 Marks and 11 Wild and the other way around, but 14 Expertise is always constant... I don't think I'd benefit much from it being any higher.

I use Lightning Reflexes because it increases my damage output as well as grants evasion. I might sub in Whirling Defenses at some point, but I really dislike Tiger's Fury. Yes, it's great to keep my attack speed up, but I don't like allocating points to Beast Mastery or disabling my defensive "panic" skills (Lightning Reflexes/Whirling Defenses, Throw Dirt) for 5 seconds. Yes, one of them would be subbed out if I brought in TF, but I'd still be totally committed to offense for 5 seconds, and I'm not sure I like that.

I might try bringing in Concussion Shot for Storm Chaser though, dazed is a fun condition to play around with.

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the input!

Nice build... Gotta say I like it. Nice work :happy34:

How about going warrior secondary and using frenzy instead of lightning reflexes and whirling defence for throw dirt or storm chaser. May be better to replace storm chaser as you should be faster than them anyway if the're crippled. If you start getting attacked when under frenzy then using whirling cancels it out preventing the double damage.

First post btw hi :howdy:

Quote Originally Posted by flamingmarmo
    How about going warrior secondary and using frenzy instead of lightning reflexes and whirling defence for throw dirt or storm chaser. May be better to replace storm chaser as you should be faster than them anyway if the're crippled. If you start getting attacked when under frenzy then using whirling cancels it out preventing the double damage.

First post btw hi :howdy:
    Thanks for the suggestion flamingmarmo. The reason I don't go warrior 2nd is because I have a personal dislike for Frenzy. I always have to cancel it because I start taking fire. Other people may choose to use it though, its very effective at what it does.

The reason I use Storm Chaser is to get into range for a Crippling Shot. People occassionaly start outside my bow's reach and I want to get to a point where I can cripple them. Also, sometimes I find myself kited away from the battle by a monk or mesmer and want to get back to the main action as quickly as possible. That's another situation where I turn on Storm Chaser and am back in the thick of things in no time.