PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Illusion Mesmer/Healing Monk

10 Fast Casting Total 61
    12 Illusion Magic Total 97
    8 Healing Prayers Total 37

Total Points 195

Would this make a good build? I want to be an offensive mesmer, that can heal whenever he is not needed, basicly a great party member, or should i go Domination Mesmer/Healing Monk?
    Last edited by Xeronage; 14-10-2005 at 10:20.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeronage

10 Fast Casting Total 61
    12 Illusion Magic Total 97
    8 Healing Prayers Total 37

Total Points 195

Would this make a good build? I want to be an offensive mesmer, that can heal whenever he is not needed, basicly a great party member, or should i go Domination Mesmer/Healing Monk?
    It would be better if you posted your skills too.

GWOnline.Net Member
    well, since we don't know ur build i don't know; however, it appears ur trying to do some sort of fast heal or illusion or something?
    If ur going illusion and healing, i don't think you need too many points in fast cast. As for the healing aspect, you may want to increase it for serious healing. If you go domination, you could keep the fast cast at maybe 8 and go for healing at 10.

If you want to play the Mesmer that can heal as needed, stick to enchantments like Healing Breeze and Vigorous Spirit. They do not rely so much on Divine Favor for the extra healing benefit only available to monks. Your role would be mesmer who can help out as needed. You can pre-combat buff the rangers/warriors with Vig Spirit and use Breeze when necessary. Breeze is a bit pricey for a non-primary healing to spread around.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed Arcanist
    If you want to play the Mesmer that can heal as needed, stick to enchantments like Healing Breeze and Vigorous Spirit. They do not rely so much on Divine Favor for the extra healing benefit only available to monks. Your role would be mesmer who can help out as needed. You can pre-combat buff the rangers/warriors with Vig Spirit and use Breeze when necessary. Breeze is a bit pricey for a non-primary healing to spread around.
    I don't know Vexed, I find Healing Breeze to be one of the more effective non primary heals. I think maybe you meant something else? Not sure.

I know people might scoff at this, but I find WoH to also be a very effecive non primary heal, especially back when it was buggy with the Divine Favor added points. The downside there is it takes away your elite and usually means 12 healing prayers. Heal Other is another good one, but it can be fairly costly.

An alternative is to go Protection Prayers and serve as your party's hex/condition remover. And perhaps cast the occasional Protective Spirit or Aegis. Both of which are very useful, and lose none of their effectiveness, but only duration depending on how many points you have in Protection Prayers.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsume
    I don't know Vexed, I find Healing Breeze to be one of the more effective non primary heals. I think maybe you meant something else? Not sure.
    I think you misread his post, he said stick to enchantments like breeze and vigorous spirit as in use them ;)

Is this for pve or pvp btw? domination is more versatile then illusion by a long shot, imo illusion is not very good in PvE unless you want to disable warrior mobs or slap degen on stuff (it can work of course, but domination is likely to better in most cases)

Quote Originally Posted by IMMORTAlMITCH
    I think you misread his post, he said stick to enchantments like breeze and vigorous spirit as in use them ;)

Is this for pve or pvp btw? domination is more versatile then illusion by a long shot, imo illusion is not very good in PvE unless you want to disable warrior mobs or slap degen on stuff (it can work of course, but domination is likely to better in most cases)
    Actually what Tsume was referring to is Vexed saying 'Breeze is a bit pricey for non-primary healing to spread around' which Tsume interpreted as 'Breeze is a bit pricey for non-monks to spread around' BUT Vexed meant 'Breeze is pricey to spread around if you aren't mainly doing a healing job (which any /mo caster can do if he so chooses)'. Hope that clarifies things ^^

Imo Illusion is a bad line to go with healing. I just don't see how you'll have the energy to do both at all. Illusion doesn't offer any real way to regain energy (Ethereal Burden? Please...). All illusion skills are 10+ energy and you usually want them up on many targets at all time (otherwise they're not really worth it). If you're healing, it will require most of your energy usually too. And in the end you'll likely heal, heal some more, heal again, oops no more energy for any of the illusion skills i brought. Or you'll start the fight with illusion hexes and when some1 requires healing it's gonna be 'oh wait wait it's coming it's coming... **** too late'.

Domination imo has better skills to go with healing. You can use Guilt/Shame to reduce enemy efficiency while gaining some energy back (really needed if you don't go inspiration at all). You can use Empathy if you want some anti-warrior/ranger (Empathy on warriors is greatly underrated atm imo, there is SO many Frenzy warriors in 8v8 it's crazy and they all can't stand Empathy AT ALL), it doesn't cost that much energy and usually you just use it on 1-2 targets cause of cooldown.

You could also use something that you likely didn't consider which is Inspiration-Healing, and i'm not talking about Energy Drain/Tap, Inspired w/e. I'm talking about hindrance Inspiration. Spread Spirit-Shackles and Spirit of Failure (gain some energy back!). When you're low on energy, use Ether Lord on an enemy caster. You also got Power Drain/Leech Signet/Drain Enchantment that are good 'dual use' energy management skills. The good part with this is that you only need 14 inspiration top for this to work perfectly. So you can do 12 Healing-10 (+4) Inspiration-8 FC. The big advantage of Inspiration hindrance is that you'll likely won't lack energy as opposed to the 2 other options.

All suggestions, but personally i'd go Dom/Heal or Insp/Heal. And no matter what you go, I'd STRONGLY suggest going 12 Heal-10 + 4 Something- 8 FC. Nearly all skills are strong enough at 14, and if you plan to heal having it at 12 is a very good thing.

Oh... and this all really depends of PvE or PvP. In PvE go Dom/Healing no doubt at all, only thing that would be worth it, Illusion is only decent if you're ALL-OUT illusion, and Inspiration hindrance in PvE... lol

Sorry if my sentence seemed a bit of double talk, I recommend sticking with enchantments if you aren't a DF profession healer. Protection is good too, but the OP was about Healing so I tried to accomodate.

As was clarified by others the cost of Breeze will slow down your mesmer chores so you use it sparingly. Again, that was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed Arcanist
    Sorry if my sentence seemed a bit of double talk, I recommend sticking with enchantments if you aren't a DF profession healer. Protection is good too, but the OP was about Healing so I tried to accomodate.

As was clarified by others the cost of Breeze will slow down your mesmer chores so you use it sparingly. Again, that was my point.
    Not your fault Vex, you made sense. I just comprehended it incorrectly. Kinda funny though. My miscomprehension, lead to another. Heh. Things like that just make me chuckle. /shrug

Patccmoi (would you be offended if I called you Pat? ^_-), pretty much covered everything else that would generally be covered.

Illusion and Heals might be a bit to keep up. Ive found that even as low as a spec of 8 into Inspiration can net good return from Inspired Hex and a sustained Channeling, which go well to cover energy purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsume
    Patccmoi (would you be offended if I called you Pat? ^_-)
    I would be profoundly insulted and would PM every single mod on these boards to tell them to perma ban you (in other words, no)

I actually tried my Inspiration version tonight with 2 setups in CA, here's what i tried:

1) Heal/Insp

Ether Feast
    Healing Breeze
    Healing Seeds
    Healing Hands
    Inspired Hex
    Spirit Shackles
    Spirit of Failure
    Restore Life

12 Healing
    12 Inspiration (9 + 3)
    11 FC (9 + 2, high FC is needed with Shackles/SoF)

It actually worked really well. Tank as much as you can with Breeze/Feast, annoy warriors/rangers with Shackles/SoF, help others with Healing Seeds/Breeze and whenever some1 gets below 20% hp throw Healing Hands on him. Inspired Hex and SoF proved to be enough most of the time to keep my energy up.

2) Prot/Insp

Shield of Regeneration
    Reversal
    Pacifism
    Same insp skills for the rest. Resurrect instead of Restore Life.

This was pretty fun because of Pacifism. It made for a less efficient healer, but in CA taking out 1 attacker (usually a warrior that decided he'd rush after me) is reducing the damage dealt by 25%, ofc that's IF your allies will think of NOT hitting the guy you CALL your pacifism on. Shield of Regen is a good way to save most people with the downside of using a lot of energy. Has the advantage of fast healing with Reversal which was impossible with the healer version (i could always fit in Orison instead of Healing Seeds tough, or Heal Other. Seeds in 4v4 didn't actually seem very useful and in some games i hardly used them but could've use a heal other to stop some insane degen. Maybe a Mend Ailment could help too instead)

On both setups i had good result and lots of flawlesses. First time i tried this kind of build but i gotta say it was a lot of fun and more efficient than i expected. Was funny to see them rangers using Distracting-Savage-Punishing... and then not using a single other arrow skill for a loong time. Could also try a Prot version using Amity/Pacifism, wouldn't really be a 'healer' role, but would be some kind of weird hexing role.

Does any1 know if DoT ends Pacifism? Like if i CP a guy and Pacifism him right after, is Pacifism gonna end right away or he'll be unable to hit while degen is going on? Sounds like some serious potential if degen can work through Pacifism...