PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Faith in Guild Wars: Renewed

I must say I have been a big whiner about Guild Wars up to this point, I even left the game. Out of boredom I started playing again this week-end, right on time for the Halloween fun.

That was VERY fun. I doubt many companies do this kind of thing. They release wallpapers and such, but don't go as far as to program entire new areas just for a few days of fun. Even better than that, the Mad King event was a whole new kind of fun. Instead of a "I just killed 20 chars (including a warrior boss) with my level 10 warrior/ele!" fun or a "Woot I finally have enough money to buy Fissure armor!" fun, it was group fun. A really great activity to partake in, just to have fun and laugh when people didn't do what mad king says, or to just drink potions and have fun going around not seeing a thing. I must say, even though Guild Wars is technically not a MMORPG, that event made it look like even more of a MMORPG then games who are supposed to be it. The "RPG" part of the acronym is not just about killing monstesr, getting levels and finding rare items, it's also about having fun with other players, and in the case of MMORPGs, with the community.

Basically I'm really impressed by that update and my interest in Guild Wars and the next expansion has increased greatly. I'm even trying to get some of my friends to buy the game so that we can form a small guild together.

So basically: good job guys.

Has any one else regained a lot of interest in Guild Wars because of this event?

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarjakTheFoul
    but don't go as far as to program entire new areas just for a few days of fun.
    Wait, new areas?? Where is this? Or am I just misunderstanding you?

But yeah, Anet is really good to us. Constantly updating and making things better. I think for these guys it's not just a job, but they really do enjoy what they do and playing this game. They care about us. :happy34:

GWOnline.Net Member IIIPowerIII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarjakTheFoul
    I must say I have been a big whiner about Guild Wars up to this point, I even left the game. Out of boredom I started playing again this week-end, right on time for the Halloween fun.

That was VERY fun. I doubt many companies do this kind of thing. They release wallpapers and such, but don't go as far as to program entire new areas just for a few days of fun. Even better than that, the Mad King event was a whole new kind of fun. Instead of a "I just killed 20 chars (including a warrior boss) with my level 10 warrior/ele!" fun or a "Woot I finally have enough money to buy Fissure armor!" fun, it was group fun. A really great activity to partake in, just to have fun and laugh when people didn't do what mad king says, or to just drink potions and have fun going around not seeing a thing. I must say, even though Guild Wars is technically not a MMORPG, that event made it look like even more of a MMORPG then games who are supposed to be it. The "RPG" part of the acronym is not just about killing monstesr, getting levels and finding rare items, it's also about having fun with other players, and in the case of MMORPGs, with the community.

Basically I'm really impressed by that update and my interest in Guild Wars and the next expansion has increased greatly. I'm even trying to get some of my friends to buy the game so that we can form a small guild together.

So basically: good job guys.

Has any one else regained a lot of interest in Guild Wars because of this event?
    But Real MMORPG have their Event every weeks... Everquest had about 1 Event per weeks. That the first for GW. We want more event, no need of an holidays to do it... I've done many on EQ.

And I want Unique Event, made by a GM, not an event that will happen 3-4 times a day...

I remeber a Troll Family in EQ. father, mother and kid. that was 3 GM controlling them, speak and all.

By that I meant changing Lion's Arch, Droknar's Forge and the Tombs. I mean adding new npc's and the different things they keep ranting about, adding the art and what not, these areas pretty much only retained the geometry of their previous forms, especially Lion's Arch.

EDIT: And to the above poster: maybe but Everquest is the incarnation of all that is evil.:p

Everquest is the incarnation of all that is evil.
    Haha, so true! :happy65:

This holloween thing is awsome. I have friends who are trying to comvince me to play World of WWarcraft and joining their guild, but I really think that Guild Wars is a much more "enjoyable" game.

I listen to them about the WoW holloween stuff, and it just doesn't sound that cool. There they are paying something like 150-200$ (depending on where you play, I'm in Canada so we pay a little more due to currency) a year for a game that gives new quests and decorations, and here I am paying NOTHING and getting not only holloween items, decorated zones, AND an awesome Mad King event that is the best I've ever seen from any game! :clap:

I have played EQ, EQ II, WoW, Lineage (for about 3 hours), and GW. I have found GW to not only be the best, but also gives the best "bang for my buck". GO ANET! :worship:

Server

Vabbi
    Guild

Tuskforce Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearan Stormstrider
    Haha, so true! :happy65:

This holloween thing is awsome. I have friends who are trying to comvince me to play World of WWarcraft and joining their guild, but I really think that Guild Wars is a much more "enjoyable" game.

I listen to them about the WoW holloween stuff, and it just doesn't sound that cool. There they are paying something like 150-200$ (depending on where you play, I'm in Canada so we pay a little more due to currency) a year for a game that gives new quests and decorations, and here I am paying NOTHING and getting not only holloween items, decorated zones, AND an awesome Mad King event that is the best I've ever seen from any game! :clap:

I have played EQ, EQ II, WoW, Lineage (for about 3 hours), and GW. I have found GW to not only be the best, but also gives the best "bang for my buck". GO ANET! :worship:
    WOW halloween this year:
    Go up to innkeepers and say trick or treat, they either give you temporary candy (perishes after 14days) which are good heals, or they change your appearance to a snake or something for an hour... I prefer the interactive craziness of the Madking. They should make more stuff like that :)

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    WOW halloween this year:
    Go up to innkeepers and say trick or treat, they either give you temporary candy (perishes after 14days) which are good heals, or they change your appearance to a snake or something for an hour.
    Yet more reasons why I will never get WoW as long as GW is around. Not only have Anet redrew all of Lion's Arch, Droknar's Forge and Tombs, but they had the Mad King who gave everyone who paid hommage to him PUMPKIN HELMETS!!!!! That you can KEEP!!!! What more could you want!!!

Can't wait to see what they do for Christmas. Dress the Dwarves up in green elf suits, or give away santa hats perhaps.

Huzzar for ANet.

I think the best part was watching people die during "Mad King Says".

Maybe that's because I have a morbid sense of humor, but come on. That was funny as all get out.

"Now JUMP!!"

*half the people jump*
    *half the people die*
    *the rest laugh at them*

Server

Vabbi
    Guild

Tuskforce Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefaru Firestorm

Maybe that's because I have a morbid sense of humor, but come on. That was funny as all get out.

"Now JUMP!!"

*half the people jump*
    *half the people die*
    *the rest laugh at them*
    lol yeah, the rock-paper thing went a bit too long and was a tad tedious but MadKing says was hilarious XD

Quote Originally Posted by Nefaru Firestorm

"Now JUMP!!"

*half the people jump*
    *half the people die*
    *the rest laugh at them*

"PLAY OR I'LL RIP YOUR HEARTS OUT!" was still my favourite.