PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

The Current Metagame

So as most of you know, since the ladder reset, the current metagame has moved greatly towards spike builds. People have tried to counter spike by using Protective Spirit and mass interupts. Because of this, many spike teams have started bringing Mantras and Glyphs to stop the interupts. This is what a lot of top teams are running, but is it the best? The best of the best, former Te and Uni for example, have been running pressure builds with a two monk backline. This seems to me to be a much better setup than spike builds, spreading the damage and conditions around, forcing the monks to heal and remove things, thereby wasting their energy. The problem is that this style of playing is much harder than spike.

Do you guys think the current metagame will eventually shift to pressure builds?

Quote Originally Posted by TheVindexus
    So as most of you know, since the ladder reset, the current metagame has moved greatly towards spike builds. People have tried to counter spike by using Protective Spirit and mass interupts. Because of this, many spike teams have started bringing Mantras and Glyphs to stop the interupts. This is what a lot of top teams are running, but is it the best? The best of the best, former Te and Uni for example, have been running pressure builds with a two monk backline. This seems to me to be a much better setup than spike builds, spreading the damage and conditions around, forcing the monks to heal and remove things, thereby wasting their energy. The problem is that this style of playing is much harder than spike.

Do you guys think the current metagame will eventually shift to pressure builds?
    I doubt it, cause, as you said, pressure builds take much more skill to play, and only some of the top teams can pull them off well. Spike teams, on the other hand and easy and effective even when the players on the team are not all that skilled. Of course, a skilled team running a spike build will win against a weaker team running the same build.

If so then I predict the return of SMITING. In my experience one of the best counters to the mass conditions and hex builds were smiters who spammed draw conditions along with Remove condition or even turning Holy Veil on and off an ally. The Mo/E DivSpirit/Glyph of Renewal build I think could be quite effective in countering a pressure build.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I'd like to see smiting come back, in some form or another. It was the only FotM kind of build I found enjoyable to play as after two days. It also seemed people were actually tweaking stuff and finding stranger ways to make it effective (like a 4 way smite with 2 W/R's bringing pets and 4 E/Mo's). Most IWAY players just seem dense, and spike teams in general ( air, ranger, however) just get boring after a while. Smiting seems to be closer on the lines of a balanced build, which I think is infintely more rewarding than your all Ranger teams, etc.

Degen or denial outlasting builds are nothing new. They were always around, in one form or another, always at a quasi-low profile.

The current state of the high-level metagame seems to be spikes that bypass Protective Spirit. Mind Shock. Lightning Strike. Shadowstrike. That kind of stuff.

Since Smite got nerfed their are 2 main problems :

1. Energy
    2. dmg

The Enregy Problem can be solved through Soulreaping. But u need a fast kill teambuild.

Soulreaping 10
    Smite 12
    Death 10

Judge
    Balth
    zealot
    Tainted
    Draw
    Putrid
    rof
    rez Sig

Well i dint try this build much out. The main problem is the dmg output and eng unless someone dies.

This build is not perfect. Maybe u can use it as Defense and offence if u drop death and take Prot.

My guild ran a Renewal/Divine Mo/E smite build, it does not work. The damage output has simply been nerfed to much.

And what's all this talk about spikes not taking much skill? It's not like any spike group is going to get perfect spikes. For example, a certain fellow by the name of Power Of My Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVindexus
    FnlD? If so, hello and quite a battle we had a few days ago. Hope we match up again soon.

Anyways, yes I think the metagame is shifting to pressure builds. I think a lot of guilds, including my own, are in the process of finding the right place to take the metagame right now. I think it will either be hex-heavy or pressure builds.
    [EnS]Bug
    Ectos And Shards
    #ectos on irc.gamesurge.net

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortyafter
    Renewal/Divine Mo/E smite build, it does not work. The damage output has simply been nerfed to much.
    That is true. Even smiting prayers at 16, zealot's fire does crap damage. Balthazar's aura is decent, but the cost, recharge time and casting time won't make it worth it.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I think the next big build will include some form of water magic. Its such an untap source of power. Combine it with rangers, mesmers, and necromancer. There'll be nothing but panic on the battlefield. A monk can only bring so few counters :).