PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Warrior

Sir Malbert

New Warrior

Hello all. I'm a refugee from WoW. I started in beta, played non-stop for a year, then checked into a methadone clinic to break my addiction. Well, not really, but real life smacked me out of WoW. The high-end WoW game is all about spending obscene amounts of time trying to get an item that is just a little better than what you already have. Anyway, I wasn't new to mmorpgs even before my WoW stint... EQ, DAoC, Anarchy Online, EVE, CoH... I picked up Guild Wars because the graphics looked good, supposedly there isn't much grinding, and it had a good PvP system. So far I haven't been dissapointed, but I've just started and have a few questions for the experienced Guild Warriors. So here goes....

1) I'm looking to do a lot of soloing (no more 300 person guilds for me ) I'm really not sure what secondary profession to choose. Hmm this probably shouldn't be my first question, but what's the best, or top two, secondary professions for a solo warrior? From what I've read on these boards so far I'm guessing Monk or Necro? I'm open to all suggestions though.

2) Do people PvP with there main PvE characters? Seems like everyone has a main PvE character and they don't PvP with them. I was hoping to PvE my way up to 20 then start PvPing with that same character.

3) I've read about Trojan Fury's W/N Tactics build. That seems like it would work well for PvP and solo PvE. Would it?

4) Looks can/will alter my build. I've gone through a ton of screenshots and have decided that the Plate Mail + Axe + Shield look is for me. I like the old Plate Mail look better than the new 15K stuff, but then they are all new to me. Would using Plate Mail hinder a build like Trojan Fury's or a typical W/Mo PvP set up? ie. Is the added energy from Gladiator's or the damage absorbtion from Knight's really important, or does it just make a minor difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can lend. Guild Wars looks like a fun game without being a colossal time sink. I can't wait to start splitting skulls with my warrior! Hmm, but w/m, w/n, w/r, etc.... Please help me decide :)

It's a build where you take advantage of a ranger skill called Tiger's Fury which increases your attack speed by 33%. It's effective because it works directly with ALL of your melee damage/skills.

and you are right about quitting WoW. I had 2 lvl 60s with epics + epic mounts. pvp system is horrible in that game imo and I'm still glad I got a copy of GW instead. Welcome to the game!

I'd first start out at least 1 pve character and join a random guild or something to help you out. then you can ditch the guild and join a real guild afterwards *grin*. Reason for this is because 1. you learn basic game mechanisms and learn the ropse. 2. you can get skills that you need and also learn to use them through pve. You can buy skills through faction but lvling a character past the desert will save you a lot of time and allow you to experience the game content at the same time.

as for pvp, if you've tried out the game already and used a pre-made character in an arena fight, you'll find out that it's a lot more different than WoW pvp. It's fast, good strategy is required, and skill matters. You'll probably end up using a pvp character instead of pve character for pvping. Simply because it'll take equal amount of grinding as WoW to perfect your pve character for pvp, when instead you can simply make a pvp character with a choice of perfect armors, perfect weapons, and best runes in the game.

if you need a good pvp skill set advise simply pm me, or other people that reply to your post can help you as well:)

Try Warrior/Necromancer, it's fun and it's different. The skill "Plague Touch" is fun, satisfying, and very helpful. My friend calls it "Karma Touch". Somone poisons you, you give it right back to 'em!

Everyone and their brother is a Warrior/Monk. :uhhuh:

1) The top two classes for a warrior in PvE are Necromancer and Monk as you pointed out. Each one is fairly different in play style. From my experiance if you play a W/Mo you will be defensive and W/N is omre offensive. From my playtime with as a W/N and with some friends that aare W/Mo I do more dmg then they can and if you have the right setup you can survive as well as they can. Ranger and Elementist are more of a PvP secondary class for a warrior.

**People view W/Mo as a n**b class but don't let that deter you from playing it.

2) One of the main reasons for having a PvP and PvE character is because you start off automatically at level 20 adnhave all your attribute points to distribute. You can also set your gear up to have the best Mods on weapons right off the bat where as in if you use your PvE character you will have to spend money to buy the weapon upgrades and it will be quite pricey. If you still want to PvP with your PvE character it wont make a huge difference but it does make some unless you have everything maxed out.

3) I am one of the supporters of the build and used it solely in PvP for the first couple months but recently I Decided to try it in PvE and it Worked quite well. It has good survivability and damage output in both enviroments. there are some minor tweaks depending on where you are going because the monsters you will be facing arent the same as peopel in PvP.
    eg. 1.Killing Ettins: No need for plague touch or wild blow since they dont use stances or give you conditions. Instead use cyclone axe and Bonnetti Defence to get back some energy.
    2.Fissure of Woe: This is a high level isntance and form whta I have seen you wont need wild blow here so swap it with cyclone axe.
    It's just simple skill switchs like that.

4) Since I started using the build I have used the listed armor for the build, all gladiator with knights gloves. I dont know how much of a difference it would make not to have them but you would run out of enegry quicker and there is a method to the madness so I would suggest staying with the prescribed armor.

Ryld Baenre

**Edit for spelling

Sir Malbert
    Thanks for all the advice. I've narrowed it down to Necro or Ranger. It sounds like the Trojan Fury Build with...

16 Tactics
    11 Strength
    9 Axe master

... would work well in PvE as I had hoped. I understand I wouldn't be using the same tactics for PvE as for PvP.

I have looked at a few W/R builds but it would be nice if someone could post one they think might work for both PvE and PvP. Again thanks for the advice :)

If you're using trojan fury's build for PvE, you can't really use it until you get Victory is Mine which is ... pretty much end game so for much of the missions etc. you're missing the critical skill that makes the build.

But as a note...

If you're interested in damage, trojan fury's build deals less than your typical axe build.

If you're interested in tanking (pve), invest into stances

If you're interested in serious PvP (tombs / gvg) then your aim as a warrior is to deal as much consistent damage as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydralisk_X
    If you're using trojan fury's build for PvE, you can't really use it until you get Victory is Mine which is ... pretty much end game so for much of the missions etc. you're missing the critical skill that makes the build.

But as a note...

If you're interested in damage, trojan fury's build deals less than your typical axe build.

If you're interested in tanking (pve), invest into stances

If you're interested in serious PvP (tombs / gvg) then your aim as a warrior is to deal as much consistent damage as possible.
    got a point there with the victory is mine. switrch to tojan's build later once u have the skill or u will crash and burn

A good thing to remember as well, is you can always change your secondary later in the game, so choosing early on is not critical!
    It's always good to try most of the skills at your disposal and see what works for you, rather than what works for somebody else. It's always nice to come up with your own variation from the norm.

Just my 2 cents!

Also - don't shy away from /mo, they can do huge damage as well because of the smiting line!

Go W/R or W/Mo. Don't do W/N till later. W/Mo is the best to start out with. has 2 parts of the Golden Trinity: Heal and Tank. And it CAN nuke somewhat. Not really. But 2 is good. W/R is way fun, try it after you get your W/Mo to desert, where you can change secondary. :D

FM

Sir Malbert
    OK really good to know you can change your secondary down the road. The in-game warning about choosing a secondary profession sounds so final.