PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranger/Necro

Ranger/Necro

Are there any instresting R/N PvE builds out there. I'm thinking just use curse skills like barbs or mark of pain to help deal damage. MoP plus duel shot would be a ok spike.

Any other ideas would be nice since this is the first time in my whole 7 months of GWing I've every played a ranger...

well, MoP makes the monsters run like the idiots they are. :s

i don't know for sure if it can be used in PvE, but you might want to try out a touch ranger. Basicly it's just a ranger with 16 expertise using evasion stances and the touch skills of the necro. It is, however, only the SKILL type skills since expertise won't lower the cost of spells.
    Anyways, a vampiric touch costing 5 energy and dealing 60+ damage while healing you for the same is quite nice.
    Also, dark aura is alot used for these touch rangers :
    For 30 seconds, whenever target ally sacrifices health, Dark Aura deals 5-41 shadow damage to adjacent foes, and you lose 5-17 health.

Could try a degen ranger also, Either using apply poison+hunter's shot+life siphon or apply hunters shot+virulence.

Beast master's work nicely as well if you go the barb's route. Pet damage+bow damage+barb's etc :)
    IGN: Zero Djinn
    Problem that needs immediate attention? IM me

What is MoP?Thanks keep the ideas coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Age
    What is MoP?Thanks keep the ideas coming.
    Mark of Pain. Very nice when the enemies pack closely together. Add spiteful spirit to the same target with MoP on it and it's hp will drain fast.

Holy Mountain
    I'm pretty new to GW (and very new to this board) but of the characters I've tried out, I like my R/N the best.

Mark of Pain is an obvious reason. Yes, it makes the baddies run but that's not always a bad thing. If you fight in a narrow spot and 'block up' one direction you can at least get them all to run in the same direction. Also, in tight spots (like underground tunnels) you can essentially block packs from both directions by boxing them with warriors on one side and you 'stance tanking' on the other side. I like to use MoP, Lighting Reflexes, Dual Shot, Disprupting Shot (for the speed), Serpents Quickness (for additional Dual Shots and Disrupting Shots after Reflexes fades.) The more shots you get off the more MoP will fire. Shortbows are usefull here, as they fire the fastest. Also of note... MoP only works if you (and/or your friends) are useing physical damage. Obviously though, this set-up is very situational, and in wide outdoor areas you will be lucky to kill even one extra creature useing MoP, although it can be usefull for breaking up packs that are beating down your henchies... If you are going to try it out, let your group know first, as it really works best with coordinated effort (like focused-fire, crippling effects, and knockdowns. :xmas7: )

A more generally usefull curse I have found is Shadow of Fear. Granted, it won't do much vs. casters but it makes chumps out of most of the melee type monsters I've encountered.

Other usefull PvE skills are the ones that transfer or reflect your negative conditions back on the monsters. Plague Sending and umm... there's another one I forget. I find often when I lose a fight in PvE, its not because of the obsene damage dealt by x monster, it is because of some negative condition x monster was laying down that was preventing my proven battle-plan (like running away, :xmas7: )

Remember to use Druids Armor. Curses are a mana intensive business.

~Holy Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Greenery
    Mark of Pain. Very nice when the enemies pack closely together. Add spiteful spirit to the same target with MoP on it and it's hp will drain fast.
    Except that now with the vastly improved enemy AI, even a lowly dolyak has a preternatural awareness to hexes--the marked critter will kindly step away from his cohorts so they don't take MoP's damage anymore, making it yet another useless skill.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harlequin
    the marked critter will kindly step away from his cohorts so they don't take MoP's damage anymore, making it yet another useless skill.
    STEP away?? That would make sense. That's what NI (natural intelligence) would make you do. That I could deal with. But to run 30 yards in one direction, turn around, and run 29 yards back the way you came, pulling 682 other beasties with him who previously had no problems with you??? What sense does that make

Quote Originally Posted by black hand
    Are there any instresting R/N PvE builds out there. I'm thinking just use curse skills like barbs or mark of pain to help deal damage. MoP plus duel shot would be a ok spike.

Any other ideas would be nice since this is the first time in my whole 7 months of GWing I've every played a ranger...
    MoP worked awesome up until the AoE patch. It still works well for clumped up enemies. It often takes them 2-3 MoP hits before they exit the AoE. It's no longer one of my favorite attacks though.

Barbs and Weaken Armor are perhaps a better way to go now. You can bring just one, but you'll kill the target so fast that it won't be ready in time for the next target, which really messes up its effectiveness. Still, bringing just one gives you that extra punch you need on bosses, who are the real reason to bring these curses (keep in mind though, the hex time is cut in half on bosses). Dual Shot is a nice addition to this but it's nowhere near the best way to take advantage of it. Instead, bring Tiger's Fury and a pet, and if you have room left over for Dual Shot, fine. Henchmen are good for using with these curses too, since they blindly attack whatever target you choose.

moush
    i like how a curse that can deal 30 damage in an area makes monsters run, but a warrior dealing 60 damage a hit, doesnt make them move. i would sure run if i was getting beat down like that