PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarn
    I've been planning on making a video of some PvP to show people that swords can actually be effective (end prejudism against sword-users! :xmas4: ) and I have a question: I see people always blank out names in screenshots, and is that just something people like to do or is it a rule? Because I wouldn't know how to do that in a video and I imagine the losing team would not want a video of their defeat, and hence I wouldn't be able to post my video. :x-snow5:
    The reason why names are blanked out is so that a player's privacy is protected, and its something that this site encourages.

However in the case of video's I can't answer.

Most videos that get distributed tend to have the chat barely readable because being able to read the writting requires a high quality encode, and generally the extra quality to read the chat is not worth the extra file size.

Your best bet is to pm a moderator (such as Zero) and ask them.

You can also avoid this issue by hiding the party list/chat box or by using masks to hide the text. It generaly shouldn't be a problem after you have done your final encode since the chat is can barely be read (if at all).

[color=yellow]~Rah[/color]
    [color=white]---------------------------[/color]
    [color=red]-=\[color=orange]Death Is Only The Beginning[/color]/=-[/color]

Certainley, we encourage names to be blanked out unless the users permission has been granted. In video's as Rah has stated it's usually hard to read the text anyway so there's not much worry there. If you are really worried about showing their names though make the text as small as possible on your screen, this can blurr the text/names in the video but also allow you to read it in-game (for example in a pvp match when you may need to). Alternativley hide the chat box :)
    IGN: Zero Djinn
    Problem that needs immediate attention? IM me

Another good screen recorder is Camtasia.
    I use it and it seems to work fine.

GWOnline.Net Member
    every time i try to fraps my gw, i get an error.

Hmm... some comments from a fellow experienced video-producer ;o

# Recording
    I hate Fraps & GameCam.
    Footage recorded with either program is of exceptionally poor quality.
    Unfortunately there are no alternatives for Guild Wars - and out of the two, Fraps provides higher quality footage, hence it's my program of choice.
    If you ever intend to produce a movie for a different game, be sure to check for any console commands that allow you to dump frames (like dumpframes in UT2004, or avidemo in Quake 3) - using that method you'll experience NO loss of quality whatsoever! (it does take up 4 times more space than uncompressed footage does, but it's worth it)

# Footage format during Editing
    I prefer to keep all footage in uncompressed format, until the final compression, to ensure no loss of video-quality during editing.
    It certainly takes up a lot of space (the footage for my most recent video, Another Weekend #2, took up roughly 20 GB) - but the quality remains decent.

# Playback Support
    I recommend download the Combined Community Codec Pack - it's a more complete package than the Matroska Pack, which will allow you to view basically any kind of video you could think of.
    Note: Realplayer & Quicktime formats are not supported (so .mov/.real movies).
    Install: Just remove all the codecs you might have at the time (as well as Media Player Classic and/or ZoomPlayer if you already have them) and install the CCCP - select both media players and use Media Player Classic as your media playing program.
    Any non-quicktime/realplayer video I can play easily now that I use CCCP. (note: I used to use Matroska)

# Codecs for final compression
    I used to use DivX or XviD for compression.
    Nowadays there are significantly superior alternatives:
    • WMV9 (very easy to use - provides nearly as good an image quality:file size ratio as the H.264 codec)
    • H.264 (note: takes up more processing power than other codecs to playback - but also offers an image quality:file size ratio that is unrivaled by any other codec - not very easy to use properly though)

# Tips:
    • Make several version of your video with different settings of the same codec, compare the image quality:file size ratio and pick out the one you think will be best to release to the public.
    • Before you start rendering compressed versions of your video, render an uncompressed version (note: will take up quite a bit of space) so you can truly compare your compressed footage to uncompressed footage and see which compressed version looks the best.
    • Stop using outdated codecs like 3ivX, DivX & XviD.
    • Don't use music you like for your videos, use music you think will work with your videos. Music with actual voicework (Rock, Rap, Gothic, whatever) usually receives far more negative comments than non-vocal music... which is also one of the reasons non-vocal music is far more commonly used in real movies, television shows & anime.
    • Make sure you use music that has a lot of difference in tone-height. It's easier to sync your video to that kind of music. A video with music that has barely any difference in tone-height is generally uninteresting to watch, because little of the video will be synced to the music... in general, what you're syncing is major events in your video footage to a difference in tone-height in your background music, for an extra oomph effect.
    • Record a lot of footage. It's better to record too much footage than to record too little.
    • Prior to editing, make a little design of what you want your video to be like. Ideally you'll have an actual line-of-events done before you start editing, usually you won't. It helps if you watch all the footage you've recorded prior to making the design, so you can already omit the bad ones and you'll probaply already have a vague idea of what you want.
    • Try to come up with some ideas to set your movie apart from the rest. E.G.: A special intro, a special music style (I mainly use non-vocal music for example), superior image quality, voice-overs, a storyline, quality syncing in a combat video, etc..
    • Do not neglect syncing. Syncing (synchronising video to music, as explained earlier) is probaply the most important factor in video editing. A well-synced video is significantly more interesting to watch than a non-synced video.
    • Stay below 20 MB/min for your final compressed video, with Guild Wars that maximum can be lowered to 15MB/min. (20 MB/min is the guideline for more movement intensive games, such as First Person Shooters)
    • Try not to include out-of-context footage. E.G.: Simpson footage in the middle of a combat movie. It usually screws up whatever atmosphere you've build up in your movie.
    • Pack your movie with WinZip/WinRar and include a readme (with troubleshooting guide) and your codec pack, so that anyone who might have issues playing the video can get it working.
    • When recording footage, keep in mind that a high angle is uninteresting to watch. Your video becomes significantly more interesting & eventful (and easier to sync to) if your camera is closer to your character, or whatever it is you're trying to capture. It might not play well, but it makes for a better video.
    • Have someone (or several people) screen your video when you think it's final. Then use their feedback to improve your video and export your real final version.
    • Share your learning experiences & tips with fellow video-producers.

ok, that got a bit large

I just got gamecam and made a short test clip on guildwars and the picture got all odd looking. Things were see through and it was one of those odd glitchy looks. See through ground but could see the grass and such. I just want to get the capturing part down first before i actually go and begin editing things. any help is greatly appreciated.

I just got gamecam and made a short test clip on guildwars and the picture got all odd looking. Things were see through and it was one of those odd glitchy looks. See through ground but could see the grass and such. I just want to get the capturing part down first before i actually go and begin editing things. any help is greatly appreciated.

I read through the thread, but am running into the same problem SonofRah ran into: Very dark video encode, not helped much by filters.

Am encoding a movie taken with Fraps into MPG2.

I use FRAPS / WMV9 at 800x600 and get EXCELLENT results. For encoding on Linux, you can't beat XVid.

WMV9 and XVid are both FREE, and have a great quality-to-compression trade off, even at lower bitrates. Love 'em.

Now, if you want to spend a little more $$$ besides purchasing FRAPS ($37.00), I agree that a good H.264 codec would be the next logical choice. H.264 samples look awesome so far, but I'm still learning about it.
    Last edited by maddogfargo; 06-11-2006 at 23:41.

Well i find windows movie maker is fine. Its not as good as those but it comes free with windows and is easy to use.