PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GoYanko

Thinking about joining GW

Just about had enough of putting up with Star Wars Galaxies; so, I started looking at some other MMOs.
    GW looks like a game I would enjoy.

If I liked playing Diablo, will I love GW?
    briefly looked over skills and classes and it reminds me of Diablo.

Is this game stable?
    Gone through hell with the idiots at SOE constantly changing a game I loved when i first bought it into a bug infested nightmare that has half the content missing which is planned to be added in over the next 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by GoYanko
    Just about had enough of putting up with Star Wars Galaxies; so, I started looking at some other MMOs.

Is this game stable?
    Gone through hell with the idiots at SOE constantly changing a game I loved when i first bought it into a bug infested nightmare that has half the content missing which is planned to be added in over the next 6 months.
    Well, I starting playing SWG since the day it came out and played it off and on for two years or so. This game leaves it in the dust.
    There aren't really any skills (except maybe a few...Otyugh's Cry anyone :P) that are broken, unlike SWG being a broken game since the day it came out (and still is..).

The devs try their hardest to make sure the game is balanced and it is.

Oh, and it isn't really an MMO, but it frequently is called one. Usually you're only playing with seven other players in instanced zones, so there is no monster camping or loot camping etc. (like in SWG).

If you liked Diablo you'll like this.

Hi! I am an Ex-Diablo 2 player. I have been playing GW since the release date and I love this game. It's similar to D2 but not the same at all. For starters the graphics are so much better and there is a lot more character developement in this game then D2. Not to mention the fact that you have secondary class for your character.

GW is very stable. Every now and again minor things happen but ANet is always there on top of bugs. They also update alot.

GW has added a few new areas in the game for free (Sorrows Furnace) and everyone is very excited about the chapter 2 release.

I'm more on the PVE side of this game and I currently have 6 characters. Some people tend to find the replay of the game kind of lacking but I always have things to do. If you joing an active guild you will always have people to talk to.

Hmmm I guess that's it. Hope to see you in game sometime!

Everybody is different. I played Diablo since D1 through Hellfire, into D2, the expansion, etc. This is the only game that got me to stop playing Diablo. I think there are still some issues with the game, but not as far as bugs go. They are very rare. The game is VERY stable. The community is one of the best and the companies involved are really working their tails off making it the best it can be.

I have a very close friend that played as much Diablo as myself. He only plays GW when the guild meets. He likes to solo and can't spend the time to create such a capable character. This game truly focuses on team play. Even if your team is a bunch of computer controlled henchmen.

GWOnline.Net Member
    You will seriously love this game. Its pure tactics which makes you think, and if you have to think, its a challenge, and if its a challenge, you'll enjoy the competitiveness so when you log out you will say to yourself "darn thats fun, I wish I could log back in if it wasn't for my doggy who I have to feed everyday and have a REAL life, when i could be playing this fun Gw's game EVERYDAY TILL I DIE!!!!!!!!"

Or you just may like it better than the few other games and be happy you paid 50 bucks for it. :)

~Ice~

Is this game stable?

Guild Wars is not an MMORPG. Im a ex-SWG player. Played for little over 2 yeaes(cheers from farstar and eclipse)!

If you expect crafting, player housing, deep character creation, custimzation and just an awesome social experience like in SWG you will be very dissapointed mate. Guild Wars is horrible at this. It doesnt have any crafting or player housing at all and everyone looks the same. Social experience varies... some will say that the community is good, some will say its bad. My opinion though is that its better than some p2p games like wow, but its worse than EVE and SWG.

But as far as combat goes - OMG mate. I dont know if you were around for CU or NGE in SWG, but that retarded crap is not in GW at all. Everything works. I played a pistoleer in SWG for a long time... about 4 attacks worked for over a year:S in GW you get to unlock tons of cool and useful skills. the combat is awesome and tactical.

its also quite casual(if you dont count jedi) like SWG - No high death penelty, and it doesnt take to long to max out your character.

Gear is not very important, its really about pvp. We know that GCW always flopped in SWG.. But it really works in GW.

Its somehow like Diablo 2 and somehow not. its the same concept - you walk around doing quests and continue the story line. Nothing to fancy. the story is quite accomplished even though the premise might be lame - You know the usual, humans in conflict, nasty evil beings. It does get quite confusing so dont play it if you expect a mastery storyline, but what the heck.. its fun. just dont view the game as a MMORPG mate. its more of a cool back-up game IMO.

But this might not be the place to ask mate. Your bound to get alot of one sided bias info and responses. Then again... WoW fanboys are on the lurk everywere so it might be for the best<.<

I honestly cannot say "if you liked D2 you will like this", since everyone's tastes are different- some people like both, some people love D2 but hate GW, or vice versa. Only way to know for sure is to try it yourself.

That said, here're some quick facts:

-GW is like D2 in that it's very skill-based, except GW's skill system is much more flexible (and much more balanced). You can change your skills and your attribute setup anytime while in town (unfortunately there's no way to save/load builds on the fly yet), and you can even change your secondary class after reaching a certain point in the game.
    -The name of the game is party-sized battles (reaching a party size of 8 near the end of the game), so you're going to get masacred if you try going it alone (the newbie areas and a couple other instances excepted). You'll have to either make some friends to play it with (including joining a guild), take the risk of joining pick-up groups (in which the odds of finding less-than-mature people is fairly high), or get used to playing with the computer-controlled henchmen.
    -ANet's very dedicated towards balance (especially since the game is very PvP oriented), but the side effect is that there're ocassional upheavals where certain builds become more or less powerful. Thankfully they're becoming less common as the game stablizes, but they still happen (just ask anyone about the AoE AI update if you wanna know about the last one).
    -Very good customer relations, they continually browse through fan forums looking for feedback, suggestions, and reported bugs, and it's the only game I know of that has two people visit in-game about once a week to chat and answer questions (the lovely Gaile Gray and the enigmatic Frog).

Depending on "how" you liked Diablo, there's a good chance you'll really like GW.

In GW, as a comparison, there's no chance you can plop down a Meteor type spell and kill a dozen plus cow-like monsters in one split second BIG BOOM!!!!!

If you're good with that (characters are extremely underpowered compared to DiabloII ), then GW can be your ticket to some real good challenging fun.

I played Diablo2 and it's a great game, so is GW.

Gw is fun at the start, but it gets a little bad when people charge u "SELLING ub3r 1337 +30health fort pummel for 600000000k"

this game also starts to get boring after you have nothing to do, like after u finished game and stuff,

i played ever weekend for the first 3 month then i put it away and now i play again because my wireless connection is so bad i cant do anything else....2mbps my ***...

I hated D2, and love GW. So it urks me to no end when I see ppl say, yeah gw is alot like d2...

GW is so much more beyond D2, it's not even comparable.