PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Wink SOLO or RUSH aka death of an MMORPG

I have been playing this game for a month now. I was very skeptical before buying it as after reading various forums I felt its an RPG/RTS combo that may actually not succeed. I was proven wrong...I continued to see interest in people in this game. After playing this game, I realize it actually has opened up a possibility of a new genre of games. Bottom-line, I like it.

However, when I look at any build suggested anywhere on forums, 90% of the time itís focused on how to play this game alone. The 55hp Monk is a nice example. I, however, made a tremendous mistake the other night in getting 2 Mo/W in my team while playing in desert. Dudes died and we couldn't even resurrect. Also, I hardly could see anyone teaming up to play anymore. A PuG in UW is simply waste of money as the people who play there either play alone or play with guildies.

I have played Diablo 2 and LOD for many years, and so, I do know about soloing....and its benefits and disgrace. One time you simply couldn't play on D2 because of lag as there used to be 30000 users making 29999 games...figuratively speaking. To prevent this BNET introduced "more difficulty" in the game and eventually people found a way and we saw the rebirth of hammeradins who were pretty much extinct almost always.

I think the whole purpose of an MMORPG is defeated if people can play solo. I really think that if I want to solo I will get dragon quarters, Final Fantasy games etc. on my PS2. The sole reason to be online is to feel and live in this virtual world. The whole concept of Soloing just kills it.

To stop Soloing a simple measure can be taken...you can solo, but you will not get a single item drop or gold or xp. That may sound more Hitler-like, but, taking a more moderate approach will be to remove party penalty of gold sharing and xp. For goods/drops, I don't think it matters a lot as with gold you actually can buy anything on GW. Bottom-line, you need to be unrewarded for soloing. Having said that I know how painful it is to have someone in team who simply doesn't know what he or she is doing...and that brings me to the RUSH dilemma.

When I built my first character on GW, I went to level 8 in pre sear and entered post sear. And, of course, I had no clue what was going on. It was very exciting too. Then, in post sear, as usual I could not find many people to play with. I met a bunch of Level 20's in Ascalon who saw me a recruiting target and helped me with the quests. I ended up in Piken from Ascalon and then I joined a group randomly and believe it or not, I ended up in TOA in 3 hours. We did missions in between and fought a bit and needless to say, I died all the time...but, I was in TOA without having any clue at all about the character and what to do when in PvE situation.

And then came Droks run. Itís unbelievably ridiculous as I could not explain to myself as to why I would like to have better armor in early stage of the game when I am just level 8 and actually canít kill a thing. Needless to say it was uber pricey for me. I, then, realized the GW economy revolves on rushing people to later parts of the game. Its like forge rushes on Diablo. Its funny, in both the games we have forge included in rush names. In Diablo, you rush for the forge and in GW you rush to the forge....<rofl>.

To prevent Drok rushes, just adding character level requirement to the armor will suffice. But, to balance the economy a better trade system needs to evolve. I don't know why gold needs to be so scarce when fissure armor can cost you like a 600k+ GP.

I felt compelled to write about this. Please feel free to flame me if you feel I am out of line.

Thanks,

Rex
    Last edited by rexian; 09-01-2006 at 17:06. Reason: Admin: Please Delete the Post. Got Database while Posting. So, got it Double Posted.

a better way to stop droknar runs will be to block of the road from beacons to droks, anet could just add rocksthere so u cant get past it

GWOnline.Net Member ColdwaveKid's Avatar
    So you are mad about rushing but then rushed yourself?

And end solo farming people will leave in droves. I know I would and I do not solo that much.

Come back to this game in six more months when you played as much as other of us, and tell us that ANET should add in more time sinks and punishments for rushers and soloists. When you are on your seventh character, you want to get him build up as fast as possible in most cases. Not many people love the same old, same old in PuGs, or like to just walk away and see things the seventh time around.

If ANET wanted to end soloing, use the better drops for more members in a party tactic. Party with 8, get more on average than if you soloed. Soloing would be over. So now you will have party farmers instead of solo farmers, but that is cool.

Again though, stopping people from rushing through game via odd time sinks or checkpoints will just piss them off and odds are drive them away.

By the way too, ANET says themselves do not condemn farming or solo farming, they only intervien if it seems one class gets an unfair advantage at it, or if every class farming will need one or two key skills that every farmer till take.

GWOnline.Net Member
    No thanks.. Teaming up with a pug stinks in this game.. What do you get? Some noobs @ pve that go afk/get killed/leave/annoy you AND you have to share everything that drops with the other 7..

I for one enjoy rare weapons/armor/etc. and I can only get it because of the fact that I farm solo. Forbid the Droks run, maybe.. Could care less even though I run it easily solo.

Get nothing to drop if you leave town by yourself would be the most ridicilous thing they can do (unless they beef up the drops but all the nerfs suggests otherwise..)

If I were you I'd go back and complete the storyline like it should be completed, you don't *need* Forge armor, you don't need to pay for those runs. Play the game the first time like it's intended to be, get a friendly guild that helps you out.

I get further with a 2 man team in the underworld than I ever have been with 8, last thing I want is that they force me to team up with all those bad players I've been avoiding all along, I never go into UW again with a pug, since they last 45 minutes tops and barely get to the smiters

Thanks for response and ideas..

Quote Originally Posted by ColdwaveKid
    So you are mad about rushing but then rushed yourself?
    No I am not mad about anything except my boss...<rofl> I did not say I rushed myself but, got rushed without even understanding that I was being rushed as it was my first time through the game.

And end solo farming people will leave in droves. I know I would and I do not solo that much.
    Not really believe that to be true. People will adapt.

Come back to this game in six more months when you played as much as other of us, and tell us that ANET should add in more time sinks and punishments for rushers and soloists. When you are on your seventh character, you want to get him build up as fast as possible in most cases. Not many people love the same old, same old in PuGs, or like to just walk away and see things the seventh time around.
    Correct. And that's where the gamemakers' creativity comes into play. How do you create quasi-randomness in a game envronment so that you dont see the "same old, same old" again and again.

If ANET wanted to end soloing, use the better drops for more members in a party tactic. Party with 8, get more on average than if you soloed. Soloing would be over. So now you will have party farmers instead of solo farmers, but that is cool.
    That's a very nice idea.

Again though, stopping people from rushing through game via odd time sinks or checkpoints will just piss them off and odds are drive them away.

By the way too, ANET says themselves do not condemn farming or solo farming, they only intervien if it seems one class gets an unfair advantage at it, or if every class farming will need one or two key skills that every farmer till take.
    I think an Online game needs to be a party game rather than "play alone" game. In that case as you have stated, GW could as well be like Diablo where they let you play in single player mode on your PC without getting on BNET. I understand that forcing someone to do something that person does not want to do piss that person off but, if you carefully manipulate the situation, people adapt.

Again, my thoughts only.

- Rex

Quote Originally Posted by liamSlayer
    a better way to stop droknar runs will be to block of the road from beacons to droks, anet could just add rocksthere so u cant get past it
    I would love if they did this. There really is no good reason for that road, and if it never existed it wouldnít have been missed. Take it away and I donít think things will be that much effected. Just those who want the better armor now.

I started playing this game at the beginningÖpre-order days. No million spammers, no runners, everyone trying to play the gameÖoh that was nice. Well it is inevitable that this would happen, but unfortunate. The whole idea of the game progressing is that you learn it. Oh well Iím done ranting.

Soloíing; well they made the game so that you werenít suppose to do this, so naturally this is the challenge. I honestly donít care, those who want to solo will, those who want to play will play. Also when it comes to decent groups for certain missions, they can be hard to find. I have been trying to do Last Day Dawns for a few days, but every time I am stuck with lvl 12 players signing on, and very few end game players. I want to solo this merely for the time saving factor. Then I donít have to worry about one player dropping and killing the run for us.

You are responsible for your own gaming experience, and if you just try a little you can find PUGís of people that want to fight through the game and are not only guild fighters. I do say they are less common than they use to be, but itís still there. It would be nice if all the runners were restricted to one server. ĎHead over to Int 1 for rushes, this server is for people playing the game!í
    Last edited by GrimShade; 09-01-2006 at 18:47.

Quote Originally Posted by rexian
    To stop Soloing a simple measure can be taken...you can solo, but you will not get a single item drop or gold or xp.
    Stopped reading there.

I would quit cold turkey if that was done.

And I would ... er, send some very angry letters to your house. Thats it. Letters.

Nothing about rottwielers. Thatd be cruel.

Poor dogs.

The reason I would like to play the game alone, and I use henchíies a lot, is because of how unreliable people are. I know I can just call on my guild mates, but if they arenít where I am, and I donít want to incontinence them, I go with PUGís. Half of the time I get unreliable people or people who just run away from a fight. This wastes my time, which is already limited for gaming. If I can play alone, I am not restricted by the stupid things others do, itís all about me! And when it comes to playing time, that is the way it should be.

GWOnline.Net Member
    If people want to play alone, they will. Why make them play in groups if they don't wan to? You want to play in a group and you can't find any decent people who also want to do it. Ok so lets make EVERYNONE team up! That would be great! No it wouldn't, go away...

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubermancer
    Stopped reading there.

I would quit cold turkey if that was done.
    Same here. Well, I read the rest, but I'd stop playing immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimShade
    if they arenít where I am, and I donít want to incontinence them, I go with PUGís.
    Um, that's very considerate of you. But I think you meant inconvenience there...