PC Gaming News

I know nothing about AMD Duron processors & need help

Need a new motherboard for a Duron 1.30 GHZ and a new videocard for it too... its for my other gf whos in the states & is pretty clueless about hardware. I've only run intel stuff so I'm not sure what to tell her to get. Any advice would be great & tyvm in advance.

SG

Not sure if you can still find mobos that support AMD Durons. You can try www.newegg.com. As for the new video card, it would depends on budget and what kind of slots you have on your mobo. Hope that helps.

In the rare case that there are no Duron supported mobos, you may have to get a new mobo + cpu.

Best of luck. :)

"other" GF? Uh oh.

Basically any SocketA motherboard will work, though it doesn't hurt to check compatibility on the mfg's website.

(SocketA = 462-pin FC-PGA)

New video card depends on what they are going to do with it. If they dont game, just get a motherboard with integrated video. If they game, they will need an AGP video card. I like the 6600gt.

I would guess they'd try to play GW with it. ;)

However, a 6600 gt is way overkill for a Duron 1300. An X700 non-pro AGP (Did they make these?) would probably suit the CPU better, unless the OP is looking at an upgrade in the future.

slavegrrl
    "other" gf here
    Its ok cuz we all know about each other ok that doesnt make it sound any better does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Seef II
    "other" GF? Uh oh.

Basically any SocketA motherboard will work, though it doesn't hurt to check compatibility on the mfg's website.

(SocketA = 462-pin FC-PGA)