PC Gaming News

Lightbulb Ritualist - Where the idea came from...I think (Not Another Druid thread promise)

Ok, so Chapter 2 hasn't come up yet but there are many assumptions of where the idea of this new proffession came from. As I read through the freshly made threads of the Ritualist, I noticed that many people thought that it was a Druid or a Shaman rip-off . Like others have said before (from the Druid=Ritualist Thread) Rangers are more like the Druids because of the whole being one with nature, and I totally agree with that.

Here is what I think.

For those of you who played played Warcraft III: Frozen Throne before you'll probably know what I'm talking about. (Talking to WIII fans) Ok so do you guys remember the new Hero when the Frozen Throne came up called SHADOW HUNTER, which is the hero of the Troll nation. Basically the Shadow Hunter is a Witch Doctor that uses his Voodoo Magic to aid Allies or harm enemies. Also the whole summoning of the spirits is pretty similar to the "Wards" of the Witch doctors in WIII, do you guys remember "Serpent ward" which is placed on a certain location to spit lava on enemies, another is the "Healing Ward" (not a shadow hunter skill - Witch doctor skill, a lower version) which is the AoE healing.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is where they get the idea from since the ANET employees are former Blizzard employees (duh). It will also make sense that the Ritualist came from the Witchdoctor because the main purpose of the WD is to be a support character, which what they're trying to do with the Ri to help the monks out.

Another thing that I noticed:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mawgleah
    According to the article in CGW, the ritualist resembles a "dark, savage priest...
    Druids are not Dark Savage Priests, they're tree hugging hippies and PETA employees. A Witch Doctor is more of a Dark Priest because of their Voodoo Magicks...hexing people (I wish Ritualists can turn people into Frogs) while helping your allies.

So those are my thoughts, it was long....but thanks for reading

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyLord
    (Snip snip)
    Druids are not Dark Savage Priests, they're tree hugging hippies and PETA employees.

haha well ****ing put, thats brilliant

Deffinitly makes alot more sense than a druid rip off, but still I would tend to disagree... as I would like my new ritualist to be as origional as possible

Is it so hard to think it did not come from Blizzard?

Ah...

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyLord
    I noticed that many people thought that it was a Druid or a Shaman rip-off
    For those of you who played played Warcraft III: Frozen Throne before you'll probably know what I'm talking about. (Talking to WIII fans) Ok so do you guys remember the new Hero when the Frozen Throne came up called SHADOW HUNTER, which is the hero of the Troll nation.
    A Shadow Hunter is basically what a Shaman is in WoW. Just replace Wards with Totems (since they're the same thing) and that's it.

Erasculio

Vulcanes
    and replace the totems with spirits and u have a shaman uhh i mean ritualist ^^

as far as i'm concerned, i don't really care if it is a clone of the wc3 shadow whatever, or wow shaman. what i do care about is that it brings a new proffesion to guild wars that is unique. if there are similarities, so be it, just as long as they aren't another [insert GW proffesion here] thats my view on it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Erasculio
    Ah...

A Shadow Hunter is basically what a Shaman is in WoW. Just replace Wards with Totems (since they're the same thing) and that's it.

Erasculio
    And Elementalists are similar to wizards, and Warriors are similar to fighter, and Monks are similar to cleric...so what?
    ~jvxmtg

~ I officially quit Guild Wars and will not buy any Anet product in the future starting today, June 19, 2007. I've given all my items and cash to Erasculio and I'm sure he'll be rich with some of them. :wink: ~

I meant literally

Quote Originally Posted by jvxmtg
    And Elementalists are similar to wizards, and Warriors are similar to fighter, and Monks are similar to cleric...so what?
    No, they are literally the same thing. It's not like "Oh, the Elementalist look like mages" - but rather the same company that made both (Shadow Priests and Shamans), on the same setting (the WarCraft 3/World of WarCraft world), made those two with same skills. There's as much alikeness between the Shadow Priest and the Shamans than in between the Keepers of the Grove and the Druids.

Erasculio

Quote Originally Posted by Erasculio
    No, they are literally the same thing. It's not like "Oh, the Elementalist look like mages" - but rather the same company that made both (Shadow Priests and Shamans), on the same setting (the WarCraft 3/World of WarCraft world), made those two with same skills. There's as much alikeness between the Shadow Priest and the Shamans than in between the Keepers of the Grove and the Druids.

Erasculio
    I'm actually making a comparison to between GW professions and DnD classes. I believe that DnD set the standard and everyone else are free to make a variant from that standard.

I agree that I also noticed the similarity of the Ritualist to the Witch Doctor in WC3, but doesn't mean they are "the same thing".
    ~jvxmtg

~ I officially quit Guild Wars and will not buy any Anet product in the future starting today, June 19, 2007. I've given all my items and cash to Erasculio and I'm sure he'll be rich with some of them. :wink: ~

ah the good days of warcraft 3, i kicked *** in that game custom and melee. Pwnage game must say, and i loved WD and Shadow hunter, and that may be true, Voodoo Doctor = Ritualist, (Voodoo Doctors use rituals to do voodoos, which use spirits, as well as making wards (paper or totem type.) which have spirits within them for power, so u can basicly get it together that a Ritualist will be some what of a Emo kid (aperance similar to necro) Necro = looks and use of communing with the dead, their monk side would be using healing, and the ranger side would be team buffs IE. Ranger spirits.) Basicly Ritualist = a seer = satanic person tons of **** things that deal with spirits to help allies and hinder foes. Get the idea?