PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Assassin Combos => inspired by WoW Rogue?

I have the strong suspicion that the current offhand and whatsoever attacks with ALL that fancy symbols and icons are a copy of the WoW Combo-point system for rogues.

It is not the same, yet the basic idea is very similar.

What do you think of this system? I did not unlock many skills so far, as I play on a Beta-Acc.

Quote Originally Posted by Longasc
    I have the strong suspicion that the current offhand and whatsoever attacks with ALL that fancy symbols and icons are a copy of the WoW Combo-point system for rogues.

What do you think of this system? I did not unlock many skills so far, as I play on a Beta-Acc.
    Actually it's a copy of Diablo 2's Assassin which was all about combo points and a finishing move. WoW took that idea from Diablo with their Rogues. The people who worked for blizzard made Guild Wars so it's no surprise that this Assassin is just like Diablo's one with combo points.

I haven't played to many table-tops but I guess that the original idea of dual-wielding assassins that might have to use skills in a specific order could rather have come from there. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to start another fight between which of the games is better or more original. I myself am quite fond of the Warcraft universe and play Warcraft 3 as much as anyone else who likes RTS. BUT.....remember: World of Warcraft might be good but it is not the mother of all RPG-style ideas (no matter how similar it looks).

Actually a similar system to the Assassins combos is more like that from the weapon style system from DAoC(Dark Age of Camelot)

It was easy

Style 1 has no req except MAYBE position

Style 2 can only be used after Style 1 has succesfully landed

Style 3 can only be used after Style 2 has succesfully landed

Etc.

Only in this game its target must be hexed, Enchanted, Crippled etc instead of position.

Its REALLY fun and extremely powerful when you have your group work WITH your skills. The assassin looks to be a Team Expert with his skill focused on the team doing their job and him eviscerating the targets that meet his criteria. 4man group last night VERY powerful and I was the only assassin.

em afaik a-net worked on diablo right? so why the hell are everyone so suprized?

Quote Originally Posted by Longasc

i think you're really onto something here! clearly if ANY MMORPG other than WoW uses a combo system for a rogue/thief/assasin style class they're copying WoW because before WoW no one had EVER heard of combo style attacks...

seriously, games from the same genre are going to be similar in some respects so i don't really see what you're getting at here other than pointing out that they're the same kind of game.

I have the strong suspicion that the walking system in guildwars is a copy of WoW too... It's not exactly the same.. but the same idea, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by CyanBoy
    I have the strong suspicion that the walking system in guildwars is a copy of WoW too... It's not exactly the same.. but the same idea, you know.
    Congratulations, you have just won Post Of The Month!

Quote Originally Posted by CyanBoy
    lol that was funny

Quick someone get the stiches my sides are splitting.

I've yet to try my hands at, but I'm sure that the combo system works sort of like the Warriors Server Artery/Gash combo so I'm not sure how making a class the expanded on this idea would be considered ripping another game off?

I guess the way I see it, if you draw the conclusion that Guild Wars copied WoW because it has combos then they both must have also copied Street Fighter because it was the first game to have fighting combo's right?