PC Gaming News
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Just toss a cry of frustration to an assassin's way, and all they become are silly people with silly daggers.

Thx, the experimentor for the Crit explanation, still that attribute is not good enough to make a primary Assasin IMAO.
    even a ranger can be a better Assasin, for the energy and defense issues plus there are nice skills for expertise.
    Maybe this can be solved if "Uber" skills like temple strike were linked to Critical Strikes. there it will worth it.
    PD: I was looking for some mesmer skills and I found Hex Breaker (stance) really usefull for Assasins ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Blind and wards also hurt them alot, be it wards vs melee or ward vs foe's. My fire/earth Ele was having fun earlier using the two. We'd run into groups of 4 Primary sin's sometimes and still come out ontop. Of course this means everyone has to stay in the wards (opening them up for AoE) or keep something like Ageis up. Some of the skilsl are very powereful yes, and I think a certain few are on the nerf list already. But it's not too bad, if you stop a sin before or mid attack they're pretty much harmless.

Edit: I found my R/A far more deadly in pvp as she had no energy constraints (thankyou expertise) and could also use stances such as Serpents (skills are now that bit faster) and antidote signet (no more blind).
    guided wepon... gg

Today I had a truly insightful discussion with Siru, about the Assassin overal. We agreed on somethings, and we had some things that we think are different. When I have typed some preferences here, I only thought about RA and TA. Siru thinks only (if I may say) GvG and HA. This makes us think about these situations differently. He thinks that Assassins will not be the first targets in PvP. I think so, because the Assassin's skills and their usage will put them under defencive fire when they are away from the heal range of Monks and Ritualists. Assassins do have some skills that shadow step them away from their hostile focus fire that will eat them away (Recall anyone?). This is their strength, and if not skillfully used, it is their weakness.

I have made many statements only thinking that he will have one skill for selfheal, one or two defencive skills and rest skills as ability to spike the enemy dead within 4 to 8 secs. These statements are true, when held in a forum. But when Assassin is on arena, he will likely have a Monk or Ritualist healing him, if he is careful enough. Assassin in a well organiced team will be very effective, maybe with good backup he might be unstoppable.

Siru had some very heavy arguments about Assassin's effective skill combos, not strike combos. He can see that with little support from Me or N and some Assassin skills (namely hexes) Assassin can make enemy as good as dead. Assassinated.

This is what I was looking for. I'm not sure if Siru will tell this all to you, here at forum. But he has engouraged me to think Assassin as a teamplayer, not solo - a lonely wolf, that will be eaten alive by the old professions and their effective counters against Assasins.

In time, we will all see as Siru has seen, in his precognitive sight that Assassins will truly have their place in competetive PvP, namely both forms of the 8v8 PvP. This encourages us to think that it might replace IWAY builds, and spike builds. This will give a much needed room to think and maybe evolve the game to more diverse gameplay. We both saw also that the spirits will come back, and an entrenced war will reign in HA. That will give Assassins their place in HA, more so than to IWAY. The Ritualist will break IWAY (hopefully) and give room to Assassin dominated - balanced builds.

This also gives us a very dreadful idea. Does the new IWAY only evolve to A/R from W/R? Is the extra mobility something that the IWAY needs?

Is it enough to break the new ways of healing and protecting in HA? Is Assassin truly capable of assassinating the key members of enemy team? I think that it is capable, but not alone, not as pure - no secondary Assassin, but as a teamplayer in a diverse and balanced builds.

I think that for now, I have said enough. If Siru wants to say something differently, then I have miss interepted him and I am sorry . We both await eagerly the new GW:Factions, that I know is true.

Quote Originally Posted by The Experimentor
    16% (12 weapon Attribute) + 16% (16 Critical Strikes) = 32% chance for critical hits...
    + any other bonuses...
    = at least 1/3rd chance to critical hit per strike. That's quite big.
    I'm wondering why people are assuming Assassins will use daggers. I think there's a great deal of potential in a Crits/Tactics/Weapon Mastery A/W build. Here's an alpha version, based on the skills we know:

Crits 15 (11+1+3)
    Sword Mastery 10
    Tactics 10

Critical Eye (ups CH chance to 35.5%)
    Critical Defences
    Flurry
    Savage Slash
    Way of the Fox
    Wild Blow
    Riposte
    Deadly Riposte

With this build and a Zealous Sword, the Ripostes should be able to automatically block seven attacks every 20 seconds while the continually maintained Critical Defences will block 50% of the remainder. That works out to you taking one sword or axe hit every 5 seconds or one hammer or bow hit every 20 seconds. Dagger Assassins can try to build a chain using Expose Defences - assuming you don't interrupt them - but otherwise their only hope is to use Way of the Fox and get one in every three seconds.

It probably needs more work, but I think it looks solid against melee types and fairly vicious versus squashies.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiegDivine
    Just toss a cry of frustration to an assassin's way, and all they become are silly people with silly daggers.
    I think the probaility of COF actually interrupting assasin combo is very very very low since the combo occured like instantly. Cluminess is a better option, faster recharge, lower energy cost and u can keep on interrupting the combo chain

Quote Originally Posted by lumimantteli
    You are right, R/A is better than A/?. That is because the R/A has better armor against elemental attacks and doesn't look so much A/?. If there would be a team with A/? and R/A, the A/? would be killed first, leaving R/A some time, enough time to make his spiking attacks on soft targets. R/A is true assassin, not A/?. We will see this as truth on 24th of March. Join me in TA and you will see that A/? isn't worth it.
    I wasn't saying that R/A is better than A/? (though, I'm not saying R/A is bad either- it was a very solid build). I was citing R/A as an example of Assassins taking down had targets or Warriors just as well as they can soft targets.

The only difference between that R/A and any other A/? who plays similarly is Expertise and Escape- which can be replaced by a whole bunch of Assassin skills and the right playing strategies.

And armor doesn't count. Last I checked, the Assassin's +5 Armor while attacking protects against anything that doesn't bypass armor. The Ranger's+5 Armor vs. Fire (or Air, or Water) protects... only against Fire (or Air, or Water), assuming what hits doesn't bypass armor. I think I prefer the Assassin's more all-around protection, thank you very much.

You haven't explained why the R/A is not going to be picked over the A/? in calling targets, BTW. If R/A is indeed the more dangerous one, as you say, why not target him first instead of the "weaker" A/? and protect yourself right from the start?

Quote Originally Posted by Yazoo
    Thx, the experimentor for the Crit explanation, still that attribute is not good enough to make a primary Assasin IMAO.
    even a ranger can be a better Assasin, for the energy and defense issues plus there are nice skills for expertise.
    Well, as I said, personal preference. Your prefer the R/A, I'm willing to give the A/? a chance.

Just note: one problem with going R/A though playing as an Assassin Primary is that you don't have access ro the Assassin masks and runes. That's OK if you're just using one Assassin attribute (like Dagger Mastery for the Fang of Melandru build), but more than one and it gets inefficient. I'm going mainly for Critical Strikes and Dagger Mastery, but both Deadly Arts and Shadow Arts look intrigueing.

Maybe this can be solved if "Uber" skills like temple strike were linked to Critical Strikes. there it will worth it.
    It's fine as it is. Dagger Mastery should really be the home of strike skills (with very, very fex exceptions), includingTemple Strike and Moebius Strike. Besides, Critical Strikes has Locusts' Fury, Seeping Wound and Unsuspecting Strike (not an Elite) are scary enough.

PD: I was looking for some mesmer skills and I found Hex Breaker (stance) really usefull for Assasins ^^
    A/Mo -Holy Veil, Purge Conditions, Purge Signet, Remove Hex
    A/N - Plague Touch
    A/R - Antidote Signet

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Death
    I'm wondering why people are assuming Assassins will use daggers. I think there's a great deal of potential in a Crits/Tactics/Weapon Mastery A/W build.
    http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=385417
    http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=384093
    http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=385545

Last edited by The Experimentor; 17-02-2006 at 07:58. Reason: wrong skill named

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Death
    Ripostes should be able to automatically block seven attacks every 20 seconds
    Seven attacks blocked with ripostes.. I would like too see that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Siru
    Seven attacks blocked with ripostes.. I would like too see that happen.
    If you put up Deadly Riposte just before swinging your first blow (T=0) you should be able to put up one of the two Ripostes at T=4, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20 and 21. Ripostes automatically block, according to the skill description. What do you think I'm missing?

GWOnline.Net Member
    Riposte and Deadly Riposte only work against melee attacks, essentially you have a 50% chance of being crippled by a degen ranger as they flee from you (if they are using crippling shot then the chance is 100% - gg :) ) and just degen you to death (and once you stop attacking you lose your 'maintained' defense from critical defenses).

It also lacks any form of healing, so a crippling mesmer would have an equally good time.