PC Gaming News
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    Riposte and Deadly Riposte only work against melee attacks,
    Logical enough, but it could use being added to the skill description.

All your concerns are fair; I think cripplers would have a harder time if Hamstring could be fitted in somewhere as we both get to limp around the battlefield, but that's why this is an alpha build I whomped up in ten minutes at gone midnight instead of a final build.

I still think the whole package properly tuned could kick some serious butt against I'm Maybe Gonna Avenge You teams, though.

I'm sorry for jumping on the bandwagon, but while I'm also interested in the A/W alternative weapon build, I also have some critiques of my own on your build.

First, Wild Blow is redundant with your maxing out of your Critical Strikes. I see the value of having a critical hit at your command any time, but if your critical hit rate is already 35% (1/3rd of the time), you're bound to critical sooner or later anyway. At the least, you could get another (attack) skill.

On the other hand, second, where's the quick spike damage? Normal attacks, even with a 3rd of them criticals, won't be enough- any Assassin who has to wait to get his licks in to kill is soon going to be dead Assassin. The point of the profession is too kill fast and ruthlessly, not let combat go on in order to do damage (that's the Warrior's job). Savage Slash and your Riposte's combo isn't going to cut it. You need something readily available and at your command, like the Swordsmanship version of Dagger Mastery chain attack skills.

Third, you may be focusing too much on your Riposte's + Critical Defenses combo. Remember what they say about putting all your eggs in one basket. If your foes bypass the combo, much of your build is wasted. Versatility, utility and flexibility could be more beneficial.

Fourth, as said, defense. Healing and condition removal should be looked into (though hard for a A/W). Being able to block my sword won't stop my Fireball.

Good luck!

I don't think Assassins are over-powered. I think they are meant to be the true melee-damagers. "Then what are Warriors for?" I hear you ask, well, Warriors have much more defensive stances and the highest armour values in game, making them have an ideal tank in parties.Of course, Warriors have much more weapons at their disposal, but none of them(with no attack speed buffs of course) can compare speed wise to the twin daggers of Assassins. Sure, not every Warrior is a tank......yet. But I predict that when Factions is released most Warriors will be needed to serve a tank role, and support damage. Have you not noticed that most of the Assassin's evasive skills(especially in Shadow Arts skill line) either have a short duration, a long recharge or do not block/evade but merely teleport the Assassin?(Other than Shadow Form, however this leaves you in an incredibly vulnerable state after its duration expires). What do you think?
    Last edited by Tactical Lacitcat; 17-02-2006 at 17:13.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran6 months registered1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Just toss a cry of frustration to an assassin's way, and all they become are silly people with silly daggers.
    ow. . .lol

Actually this made me think a little on how easy assassins really are to interupt.

I play ranger a lot, and my general lore of the game helps me immensly to spot and essentially stop combos even if they are done in rapid sucession.

It's pretty much going to be a fact that rangers are going to be an assassin's bane when factions comes out. all it's going to take is them doing a lead attack and BAM distracting shot / savage / punishing.

It's the same right now when you interupt a hammer warriors 5 hit devastating hammer combo.

You may even see some immolation arrow being rolled again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Experimentor
    I'm sorry for jumping on the bandwagon, but while I'm also interested in the A/W alternative weapon build, I also have some critiques of my own on your build.

First, Wild Blow is redundant with your maxing out of your Critical Strikes. I see the value of having a critical hit at your command any time, but if your critical hit rate is already 35% (1/3rd of the time), you're bound to critical sooner or later anyway.
    Not within 4 seconds. Even with 35% chance of a crit, there's a 17% chance of failing four times in a row. The chance of Crit Defences dropping before it recharges is 32.7% at those odds. Wild Blow doesn't quite guarantee a crit every 4 seconds due to its 5-second recharge, but it does mean that I'd have to fail to get a crit from three hits twice in succession. The chance of that happening before Crit Defences can recharge is 4.4%. As you can see, Wild Blow is far from redundant.

As for the spike damage, the build hits fast enough to make the usual Final Thrust chain viable. Spike may well be better than invulnerability, at least in PVP. It'd be a bloody good Assassin farm build, though, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumSquid
    ow. . .lol

Actually this made me think a little on how easy assassins really are to interupt.

I play ranger a lot, and my general lore of the game helps me immensly to spot and essentially stop combos even if they are done in rapid sucession.

It's pretty much going to be a fact that rangers are going to be an assassin's bane when factions comes out. all it's going to take is them doing a lead attack and BAM distracting shot / savage / punishing.

It's the same right now when you interupt a hammer warriors 5 hit devastating hammer combo.

You may even see some immolation arrow being rolled again.
    As above by MaximumSquid, I "farmed" Assassin derived faction in the PvP Preview Weekend with my Ranger. The Mirrored Stance hex was so easy to avoid, so was to interrupt and cause conditions on Assassins that they were a complete laughing stock. With a well cordinated play and initiative style you will notice that R > A. Well rounded build on a Ranger can take against all professions with some exceptions, but if a Ranger is ready to slow down/kill warriors and make monks and other casters a hard time, he will definately be on the longer end of the stick against the Assassins too.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumSquid
    to spot and essentially stop combos even if they are done in rapid sucession
    That is why I never used attacks in a row when I might be target of ranger (the full explanation is on a other thread). So it's assassins own fault if he was interupted. Anyone with any interupt skill can break a chain, and that's why monks (who know what they are doing) do not use other skill after another when they may be interupt target. Same goes for assassin: watch your predator.

alot of ppl are saying use evades but assassins are masters of criticle hits and have a better chance of hitting past evades they also have some skills that automaticly crit thru anything... and skills which stop enemies from blocking/evading so they have counters for the evade/block thing

GWOnline.Net Member Goldfish God's Avatar
    and the blindness, spirit/price of failure? an attack or two might get through, but how fast before it cycles round again.

Quick experience from the barrage/pet ranger in PvE tombs... rapid succession of skills means that an interrupter like ranger or mesmer has a very high chance of interrupting something even if theyre rubbish at it. Say I try to interrupt an attack-skill and time it too late... I've just hit the next attack-skill in that combo sequence instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Lacitcat
    I don't think Assassins are over-powered. I think they are meant to be the true melee-damagers. "Then what are Warriors for?" I hear you ask, well, Warriors have much more defensive stances and the highest armour values in game, making them have an ideal tank in parties.Of course, Warriors have much more weapons at their disposal, but none of them(with no attack speed buffs of course) can compare speed wise to the twin daggers of Assassins. Sure, not every Warrior is a tank......yet. But I predict that when Factions is released most Warriors will be needed to serve a tank role, and support damage. Have you not noticed that most of the Assassin's evasive skills(especially in Shadow Arts skill line) either have a short duration, a long recharge or do not block/evade but merely teleport the Assassin?(Other than Shadow Form, however this leaves you in an incredibly vulnerable state after its duration expires). What do you think?
    I think that warriors can still be main damage dealers in places that require them to take a huge beating. if you ask me warriors and assassins work best both being main damage dealers because the assassin can deal massive damage fast but then he needs to get the hell out of there so the role of main damage dealer falls onto the warrior, then the assassin comes back in etc