PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I need a REAL answer...Dragons vs Knights Vs Glads and IWAY

I know there are other threads about this but they are confusing the hell out of me because many of them have conflicting opinions.

Dragons: Armor 85, Armor +10 vs physical
    Gladiators: Energy +1 2 or 3, Armor 80, Armor +20 vs physical
    Knights: Armor 80, Armor +10 vs physical, Reduces attack dmg(non stacking)

Firstly about the Knights armor, what does it mean by NON STACKING? This just appeared with a recent update. Does that mean that if I have all 4 pieces of it on, only 1 of them works so it would be a waste to use all 4...OR does it mean that whereever I get hit (and you get hit in different places randomly I'm told), I get the damage reduction, thus making it worth it to have on all 4? I have heard both of these stories. BASICALLY can you wear just 1 piece of Knights armor and get the same effect as wearing all 4?

Secondly, why does everybody use Glads armor in IWAY? Using Zealous Axe (which all iways should use), energy is never a problem, and the other armors seem to have better defense. Or maybe I'm wrong?

People who know what they are talking about plz respond.
    Last edited by DreamWind; 27-01-2006 at 09:29.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWind
    I know there are other threads about this but they are confusing the hell out of me because many of them have conflicting opinions.

Dragons: Armor 85, Armor +10 vs physical
    Gladiators: Energy +1 2 or 3, Armor 80, Armor +20 vs physical
    Knights: Armor 80, Armor +10 vs physical, Reduces attack dmg(non stacking)
    Here we go again.

Firstly about the Knights armor, what does it mean by NON STACKING? This just appeared with a recent update. Does that mean that if I have all 4 pieces of it on, only 1 of them works so it would be a waste to use all 4...OR does it mean that whereever I get hit (and you get hit in different places randomly I'm told), I get the damage reduction, thus making it worth it to have on all 4? I have heard both of these stories.
    Wearing one piece of Knights will give you an overall -2 damage reduced. Wearing two pieces of Knights will give you an overall total -2 damage reduced. Wearing three pieces of Knights will give you an overall total -2 damage reduced. Wearing four pieces of Knights will give you an overall total -2 damage reduced. Wearing five pieces of Knights will give you an overall total -2 damage reduced.

Secondly, why does everybody use Glads armor in IWAY? Using Zealous Axe (which all iways should use), energy is never a problem, and the other armors seem to have better defense. Or maybe I'm wrong?
    Because sometimes they use Sundering or Vampiric or Furious. Because Glads gives better overall protection from physical damage, and Platemail/Wyvern gives better overall protection from elemental, and I'd assume that PvP has more physical threats than elemental. And because people are drawn to bigger numbers in their energy bars.

People who know what they are talking about plz respond.
    Glad to help.

SO that official thread on another site I read about dmg hitting random body parts is wrong?

They said that whenever you get hit, it hits a random body part and only the armor put on that body part actually works. That would mean that having 4 knights armors would do something (it would NOT stack but it WOULD protect from all hits)...but I guess that is wrong?

The information you read is right, it's the knights bonus that's 'wrong'. Knights (and Ascalon for that matter) damage reduction bonus applies to all your armour pieces despite it only being labelled on the knights piece itself. My guess is that this was originally a bug but ANet have apaprently decided to keep it this way (they now list it as intentionally 'not stacking'). Hence the ideal armour setup will use one piece and only one piece of knights or ascalon armour, preferably in the arms or legs which get hit less becuase knights has less armour than others.

The topic of Glads vs Wyvern/Platemail is ongoing. Basically they are 'equal' in defense.

Glads:
    100 vs phsyical
    80 vs elemental

Platemail/Wyvern:
    95 vs physical
    85 vs elemental

So technically they both have the same 'overall' armour, jsut in different regards. The fact that glads also adds energy kind of makes more people consider it as the 'best' armour, and I personally tend to agree.

I however hate the look of glads hence use platemail/wyvern instead.

Hmm...ok thanks for help. Yea that ascalon/knight armor thing is weird. SO all glads and 1 random piece of knights/ascalon is "supposedly" the best setup if all of that is correct. Weird but ok. =/

Anyways thx, Sry if this has been posted before (which is probably has).

Espresso
    personally i'm too lazy to sort it all out.

my setup:
    chest: droks glads
    leggings: marhans glads
    hands: marhans ascalon
    feet: marhans ascalon

might change ascalon for grotto's knights. but this setup has good looks and is efficient, imo.

Smile

My setup for Physical;

Gladiator's Helm
    • Rune of Superior Tactics
    • +1 to tactics base

Gladiator's Hauberk
    • Rune of Superior Absorbtion

Gladiator's Gauntlets
    • Rune of Superior Strength

Gladiator's Leggings
    • Rune of Superior Vigor

Ascalon Boots
    • Rune of Minor Swordmanship

Versus Casters;

Dragon Armor Set
    With the same rune config;
    Sub in Ascalon Boots

By the way, Hitpoints mean little when you can see a buncha zero's above your head and smack whatever you want for 20+ a hit.

As shown to you above, the Knight's set is unique because it gives a damage reduction. Because the reduction is global and not stacking, it makes no sense to wear more than one piece except for looks. Since it provides a lower defense than the other two sets if you set aside the damage reduction, you are best off wearing a Knight's piece where you get hit the least, or any place with a 12.5% chance of getting hit. This includes the helm, gloves, and boots areas. Your helm area should be reserved for +1 pieces, and you may want to switch out your gloves for Stonefist Gauntlets. Therefore, that by default leaves the boots as the optimal area.

In regard to the Platemail versus Gladiator's debate, take Gladiator's if you want the best armor. Take Platemail if you worry about looks. Assuming that there is an equal amount of physical and elemental damage, they provide roughly the same amount of defense. If they only provided the same amount of defense, it'd be a toss up between the two. However, Gladiator's provides bonus energy and there is no reason not to take it, unless you worry about how your character looks.

Helm: the +1 variety, so you can switch depending on your top attribute
    Chest: Gladiator's Hauberk
    Leggings: Gladiator's Leggings
    Gloves: Gladiator's Gauntlets, Stonefist Gauntlets
    Boots: Knight's or Ascalon Boots

That is the most flexible set up, and therefore the best set up.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigris Of Gaul
    you are best off wearing a Knight's piece where you get hit the least, or any place with a 12.5% chance of getting hit. This includes the helm, gloves, and boots areas.
    Agree, except for the fact that the Knight's Helm does not provide the damage reduction. I wanted this setup, so I could go with platemail for the rest and have the helm hidden (the way I normally have it set). Just for looks, so I had a set of matching armor. Checked out the helm, and almost had it crafted, until I noticed... ooops, no reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris Of Gaul
    <SNIP!>
    That is the most flexible set up, and therefore the best set up.
    And sadly, it is one of the least aesthetically pleasing setups, at least on a male. But them's the breaks. Excellent post, Tigris, as always. He hits it right on the nose.