PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter Armor.

Starter Armor.

Can anyone tell me why people keep their starter armor? Ive seen characters in both the Desert and Droks that are still wearing their first armor?

Is there some way to increase the armor rating of starter armor. There must be because people still wear it late into the game. Who wants to wear armor with a rating of 5 when you can get armor with a rating of 80 at the armor merchant. Can anyone explain this to me...i just dont get it.

I think some of those you've seen in said places have been 'run' and they don't want to buy any new armor 'til they can buy the 15k armor or - if their account has the money - for FoW Forgemaster party run from their guild.

What is the level of those with the low level armor? Plus, many might just like the look of them in town...

I've heard cases of many people keeping it because it is unique in looks, and others keeping it for the challenge. I know at least one person on these forums posted that they had completed the entire PvE game only ever using the starter armor.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I kept my Pre-Searing armor because it is completely irreplaceable, and the Ranger's Rawhide Armor looks awesome (Ringmail...not so much). As such, I have about 7 inventory spaces shared by two characters... I mean, it is getting to the point where I dislike having blue and purple armors dropping for me, since I cannot salvage them into common crafting materials, thus freeing that space (oh, in addition I am forced to drop any rare crafting materials I might get, since I do not collect any except steel ingots).

(On a side note, it is nice being able to give away the minor and major runes to new people fresh out of the Academy.)

(Yes, I could create a new character and use him as a slave, but that is absolutely against my Twin Lamps principles.)
    Last edited by Arctus Redryn; 30-01-2006 at 03:44.

Yeah, no armor in the game has the same appearance as the starter armor, and some of those look kinda cool.

The starter armor is actually a unique set of armor that can't be bought or collected in any place post sear. Once it's destroyed it's gone for good unless you create a new character.

It really can't be used on any mission but it is fun to wear in the districts.

I wish i kept my mesmer armour... I use the desert collectors armour as 'wow' town clothes...

I really would love to see starter armour come back for resale as town clothes.
    I got burnt as being poor with out the knowledge i would never be able to get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by zampani
    I've heard cases of many people keeping it because it is unique in looks, and others keeping it for the challenge. I know at least one person on these forums posted that they had completed the entire PvE game only ever using the starter armor.
    That's an altogether cooler reason than mine.

I can only think of 2 possible reasons:

1) They got run there. Why spend money on any other armor if you're getting run to Drok's? Or why spend money on armor if you're being run through the game when you're going to end up at Drok's anyway?

2)This one is a shot in the dark, but maybe they use it to fight the doppleganger. I believe when you enter the fight with the doppleganger, he copies your armor, skills, attributes, etc. So if you enter the fight with starter armor and switch to max armor once the fight has started, maybe you get an advantage? I've never tried it so I don't know, but seems like it could possibly work.

-Tom

With regards to your number 2, Username:

I don't think the doppelganger matches attributes because I've watched a monk versus the Dop' and it brought out a bow and was dealing fairly high damage - and the monk was a M/E. It would also wield an axe and deal more damage than a 0 to axe mastery would suggest.

I could be mistaken, though.

The first answer seems the most plausible.