PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tyrian Monster Zoology & Behavior

Ever notice funny things programmed into the game for monsters? Post them here! Or compare notes with your fellow monster biologists in this thread!

1. Regent Valley: Grawl Religion

For example, when going to King's Watch from Fort Ranik, you may chance upon a "new kind" of Grawl- Grawl Petitioners. The name replaces both Grawl Ulodytes and normal Grawl. This group of Grawl will travel from the end of the bridge nearest Fort Ranik towards the center of Regent Valley. They will cross the bridge, then go down the bank next to the second bridge, traverse the tar rivers, then climb up the third bridge to congregate at the Statue of Melandru. On the way, they will attack Grawl with a new name- Grawl Heretics- and try to kill them. Grawl with normal names (Ulodyte and the normal hammer warrior grawl) will also attack the Heretics.

Is this some sort of religious infighting among the Grawl? I've never seen a single Grawl Heretic who was also a monk, while most of the Petitioners are made up of Ulodytes/monks, so it's natural for the Petitioners and normal Grawl to win the fights. Are the Petitioners performing a religions cleansing of some sort?

Lastly, what purpose do they have for meeting in groups at the Statue of Melandru in Regent Valley near King's Watch? When they finally get there, you'll notice two circles of Grawl- the inner one nearest to the statue and made up only of Grawl monks, the outer all warriors.

2. Diessa Lowlands: The Hydra Migrations

I frequently farm in Diessa Lowlands, starting from Grendich Courthouse. I then usually move towards the Ascalon Foothills.

Sometimes, you'll meet some Hydras on the way. I've found 2 distinct groups. The 1st one nearest the Courthouse is found in the charred pit in the vale near where you fight Garfazz Bloodfang. You will find at least 2 in the group, though I've seen it as big as 4.

Usually, I farm them as well, but once I made my way from the Courthouse to the area near Garfazz, towards the area where you fight the Charr Flame Keepers of the Fires in the North quest. While farming the Charr there, I suddenly was attacked from behind by a Hydra. This marked one migration path for the Hydras, but I didn't fight any others. If there were at least 2 in that group, where did the other one go?

The second group will be encountered right before getting to the portal to the Ascalon Foothills. After a few moments arriving in the area, I usually encounter them while fighting the Storm Riders there. I only remember encountering 3 of them at a time. Usually, there will be one in the lead, then a pair following a very short distance after.

Unfortunately, my urge to hunt and farm usually gets the better of me, so I didn't have the chance to really observe them until today. The latter two will turn and go towards the pits behind the Grendich Courthouse, though I'm unsure of their path as they're usually dead before they can get there.

However, due to some bad luck (or good luck for Tyrian biological studies), my W/N was unable to catch up to the 1st single in the lead of the group, who took a different path (I ambushed the latter two from behind, the 1st one didn't aggro me but went on). He crossed the bridge, went right through the group of Charr and Gargoyles, then towards the pit where you encounter the 1st group from Grendich!

Obsessed with the Hydra, I chased him, but was killed by DP from the Gargs and chasing Charr. I rezzed in the Ascalon Foothills shrine, promptly gave chase (hoping I didn't lose the creature), slaughtered the Charr and Gagoyles in my way, and caught up with him!

His path led me near Grendich, as he took the sloping path next to the bridge and towards... Dragon's Gullet! I followed him all the way, Sprinting to leave behind the ambushing Devourers. We passed by the place where you can fight the Gargoyle boss, and came upon the tar lake with dragons' bones sticking out of them.

Finally- he entered the portal of the Charr Flame Temple Corridor!

In addition, I remembered always finding some Charr rangers fighting something in a hidden pocket of the Temple Corridor, though I'd usually make it too late to see the corpses of the fallen creatures up close. But one time, I went there and found the rangers had lost the fight- with Hydras triumphant!

Putting all together, this has got to be a migration pattern of the Hydras in the Ascalon Foothills crossing the Diessa Lowlands towards their home in Dragon's Gullet.

(At this point, I apologize for my extreme enthusiasm, but I'm very, very, very amused by all this. It think it's a nice touch on the part of ANet to give the monsters not just fighting characteristics but almost real animal personalities and behavior.)

So, anyone wanna compare notes or add to this bestiary?
    Last edited by The Experimentor; 30-01-2006 at 18:17.

GWOnline.Net Member
    3. Nebo Terrace: Ettin - Tengu rivalry

This is probably not new to many, but when you enter Nebo Terrace from North Kryta Province, you will often see a group of tengu slugging it out with a pair of Gypsy Ettins. The ettins are almost always outnumbered in this fight and get torn apart with relative ease. Apparently the two races must be enemies, for if you head south towards Bergen Hot Springs, you will again come across a group of tengu fighting a larger bunch (around 4 - 6) ettins, and this time the ettins get their own back by pounding the outnumbered tengu into chicken mince.

Curiously, this property only seems to be specific to the ettins and tengu in Nebo. If you go to NKP and try to lure the ettins and tengu there into each other, they will gang up and kill YOU, then bow to each other and go back to their own homes.

A lack of living space in Nebo perhaps?

Are like how the White Mantle patrol the area outside I think Ventaris Refuge and when they walk near the Magumma thay attack each other.

4. Underworld- Asexual Wurms
    It seems that giant wurms do not reproduce sexually like most creatures do (they are just overgrown invertabrates after all). While travelling in the Tombs entrance to the Underworm, we came across an area with a bridge. We were attacked by a wurm, who jumped on top of the bridge to attack some people who were up there. I, who was standing under the bridge, could see that there was no wurm underneath the bridge- as if the wurm had been cut off at where it emerged from the surface.

Conclusion? Well, you know how if you cut a worm in half, you get two smaller, seperate-yet-live worms? Same principle here- something cut the wurm in half, creating two wurms, each with a severed end. Now, let's just hope we never meet whatever was powerful enough to cut a wurm in half...

(Well, either that or lousy programming/modelling )

5. Iron Mines- Alcoholic Warfare

While Dwarven Ale has long been valued for its intoxicating effects at town parties, recently armies have been experimenting with its usefulness in battle. Upon travelling into the Shiverpeaks to hunt down the Shining Blade, the White Mantle were quickly repelled by the Stone Summit dwarves. To counter this new foe, one particularly ingenious White Mantle commander hatched a cunning plan. One of his scouts infiltrated the Stone Summit camp at night and replaced all their Dwarven Ale with a different, much more potent brew. These Stone Summit were so out of their wits the day after drinking this concoction that they were barely able to fight, and spent most of battle running around trying to clear their heads. You can see a squad of such-affected Stone Summit at the very beginning of the Iron Mines mission.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), this practice never grew widespread among the White Mantle. The next day the commander who came up with the idea was trampled by a particularly drunk Dolyak Rider.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scutilla
    5. Iron Mines- Alcoholic Warfare

While Dwarven Ale has long been valued for its intoxicating effects at town parties, recently armies have been experimenting with its usefulness in battle. Upon travelling into the Shiverpeaks to hunt down the Shining Blade, the White Mantle were quickly repelled by the Stone Summit dwarves. To counter this new foe, one particularly ingenious White Mantle commander hatched a cunning plan. One of his scouts infiltrated the Stone Summit camp at night and replaced all their Dwarven Ale with a different, much more potent brew. These Stone Summit were so out of their wits the day after drinking this concoction that they were barely able to fight, and spent most of battle running around trying to clear their heads. You can see a squad of such-affected Stone Summit at the very beginning of the Iron Mines mission.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), this practice never grew widespread among the White Mantle. The next day the commander who came up with the idea was trampled by a particularly drunk Dolyak Rider.
    Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxares
    3. Nebo Terrace: Ettin - Tengu rivalry

This is probably not new to many, but when you enter Nebo Terrace from North Kryta Province, you will often see a group of tengu slugging it out with a pair of Gypsy Ettins. The ettins are almost always outnumbered in this fight and get torn apart with relative ease. Apparently the two races must be enemies, for if you head south towards Bergen Hot Springs, you will again come across a group of tengu fighting a larger bunch (around 4 - 6) ettins, and this time the ettins get their own back by pounding the outnumbered tengu into chicken mince.

Curiously, this property only seems to be specific to the ettins and tengu in Nebo. If you go to NKP and try to lure the ettins and tengu there into each other, they will gang up and kill YOU, then bow to each other and go back to their own homes.

A lack of living space in Nebo perhaps?
    I've seen this behaviour several times before, pretty amusing to spectate.
    Also, if the Ettins win, they will run towards Bergen Hot Springs, but will eventually turn right towards the Black Curtain.
    Sometimes the Ettins win against the undead roaming there, sometimes they don't.
    I've never really followed them further down the road.

I've unfortunately nothing to contribute to this thread :( but it is very interesting and funny, I know what I'll be up to this evening :)

Well there's always Bonetti of course, who can be found in the south west corner of the Old Ascalon area, not far from where a monk usually gets attacked by angry Grawl. I knew of the skill Bonetti's Defence of course, being a warrior myself. But I was quite surprised to find an actual boss named Bonetti one day. Apparently he's not always there, or he just moves around...

GWOnline.Net Member frigidchill's Avatar
    Yea i found him today aswell, like you i never thought there was an actual Bonnetti, and for some reason he likes to hang around with Grawl....

You have to hand it to Anet, there are not many games where you can say that the enemies follow migration patterns, and even fight each other.

I can't think of anything right now.....I'll come back to it.