PC Gaming News
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman
    And new levels of corruption. Think of the murder at hot springs. The white mantle killed someone without explanation, then discard the whole investigation.
    Surely they could explain why the man had to die?
    I suspect either it was random bullying, or the victim 'knew too much'.

Incidentally, going off topic a little, I've always though of the Grawls as being a kind of pygmy troll - not related to the Charr, although the Charr certainly don't seem to be above exploiting them.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Quote Originally Posted by ostriig
    Thanks, this area was especially vague to me. I've read through the Manuscripts when I first got GW though, and I don't recall there being any mention of anything of the sort. Besides, could they include it, wouldn't that count as spoilers for a new player?
    Alright, once again I will quote directly from the Manuscripts.

Quote Originally Posted by Guild Wars Manuscripts
    "But the gods had not counted upon one thing-greed.

Wars broke out immediately as the magical races fought for dominance. So much destruction was wrought that humans found themselves at the edge of extinction. When all seemed lost, it was King Doric, the leader of the united human tribes himself, who made the long trek to Arah, the city of the gods, on the Orrian peninsula. He gained an audience with the creators and begged them to help, to stop the wars and bring peace to the land once again.

The gods heard his pleas, and they intervened.

The forging of the world was complete. As their final act, the gods gathered back their gift of magic from all the races and trapped it inside a tall stone. They smashed the stone into five parts-four equal but opposing stones of magic, and one keystone. Witout the keystone, he other four couldn't be reassembled.

Each of the four stones was the embodiment of a specific school of magic: preservation, destruction, aggression, and denial. Magic would still exist in the world, but the devastating power of all four types together would never again be at the command of one single creature. Those who accepted the gift would have to cooperate if they intended to use it to its fullest.

The gods told King Doric that since he had asked for peace, he and his descendants must carry the burden of protecting the stones. As an additional precaution, they used a drop of King Doric's blood to seal each of the stones. " [Guild Wars 28-30]
    As you can see, it is indeed mentioned, in detail, in the Guild Wars Manuscripts.

The Manuscripts are an important source of lore for the Guild Wars world, and were meant to be read as a companion to the game. Unfortunetly, many people feel books that come with games aren't important, and thus, assume the Guild Wars story is just full of holes. Please, as a favor to me and to ANet, take a few minutes to explore the Manuscripts, if you haven't already; they can be very insightful.

This particular block quote from the Manuscripts actually explains a lot more than just the Bloodstones, but those are topics for another discussion.

We find out in the game that the stones sealed with Doric's blood are the Bloodstones (original name no?). If you continue reading past this, you find that the descendants of Doric set up the three kingdoms, Orr, Kryta, and Ascalon, and that those with some kind of blood link to Doric are the protectors and keys to the Bloodstones. We find out in the game that these are the Chosen.

That is why the Chosen are used on the Bloodstones, and that is why only the Chosen souls can keep the Door of Komalie closed. They are the keys to the magical power of the Stones and the Door.

I hope this little dive into the lore of Tyria has helped answer some of the questions floating around. For more information, please refer to the Guild Wars Manuscripts, included with your game.
    Last edited by Quintus Antonius; 13-02-2006 at 23:02.

* Who is Janthir, or is that a place as well?

We done know if Janthir is a person or a race. All we know is there is an Island of ppl with True Sight.

* Why were Ascalonian soldiers found dead in Glint's lair?
    o Did she kill them?
    o Did Adelburn know something we didn't?
    o How did they get there before us?

From what we know, they were members of the party that went with Mhenlo, Devona, and the others as they ventured into the Lair before us. They had simply died along the wya.

* What happend to Ascalon after all of this?
    o Did they rebuild?
    o Did they get destroyed?

Ascalon was destroyed, but from what we know, nothing else happened to them after the Searing.

o Does Gwen return?

Nothing new on Gwen except for finding her broken flute.

o Does Adelburn ever moarn his son's death?

We dont know.

o Is Glint a girl or a boy?

From what we know, she is female.

* What are Grawl?

They are a canine like creature. No relation tot he Charr is known.

* What happend to Tombs?
    From what we know, a portal was opened from the UW and the minions there poured in. How and why, we dont know yet.

+ Who is Victo?

Lord Victo is the Spirit we help Tussai Ossa regain the Temple of Ascenson in Dunes of Dispair mission.

o Why did they make it so long?

To give you enough to do. I personally think it was too short.

o Was that statue of Melandru there before?

Which statue where?

I have a theory about the jades, the mursaat are a race of spellcasters that are supposed to be "fearful". Yet they have the jade bows and armors with them at most times. there are even jade bosses, suggesting that they have some level of authority in the mursaat army. My theory is that the jades are not"slaves" but simply mursaat that were greivously wounded in battle.(think dragoons from starcraft) They gave up there bodies but lost their ability to cast spells, which explains why they use bows and melee. I'm fairly certain that the Jades use the Mursaat skill "spectral agony" as well. If the jades are indeed slaves why would they be granted that skill?

My second theory is on the skill Spectral Agony itself. The name of the skill would suggest some sort of deep spiritual pain, confirmed by its effect. To combat this, the Seer infuses our armor with "spectral Essence" The essence of a soul? Possibly a cover of spiritual presence for the agony to feed off of instead of our own.(like a force field) What gives the Mursaat the ability to use Agony in the first place? I think it was either granted to them by some now unknown or unmentioned god of souls, or some god of that effect. The sacrifices of the chosen on the bloodstones would then give the 3rd effect, along with keeping the door closed and the chosen dead, to pay tribute to the mursaat god.

Finally, the charr. The spells and skills we use ingame are granted by the Gods correct? That would assume that whatever gods the charr worship give them their skills as well. I believe the charr effigies somehow pay tribute to a Titan god, giving them their abilities. Could it be possible that the Titans themselves (i mean the big, fully formed ones) be a type of god or otherwise extremely powerful force? This is supported by the speculated "war" they had with the mursaat and the fact that most if not all actions in the larger scope of the game are to fullfill the flameseeker prophecies, thus freeing the immensly powerful titans. Also in greek mythololgy the titans were created/arrived before the gods. Is it possible that the titans were some enemy of the gods, locked away and ousted from power?

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Quote Originally Posted by iamArc
    I have a theory about the jades, the mursaat are a race of spellcasters that are supposed to be "fearful". Yet they have the jade bows and armors with them at most times. there are even jade bosses, suggesting that they have some level of authority in the mursaat army. My theory is that the jades are not"slaves" but simply mursaat that were greivously wounded in battle.(think dragoons from starcraft) They gave up there bodies but lost their ability to cast spells, which explains why they use bows and melee. I'm fairly certain that the Jades use the Mursaat skill "spectral agony" as well. If the jades are indeed slaves why would they be granted that skill?

My second theory is on the skill Spectral Agony itself. The name of the skill would suggest some sort of deep spiritual pain, confirmed by its effect. To combat this, the Seer infuses our armor with "spectral Essence" The essence of a soul? Possibly a cover of spiritual presence for the agony to feed off of instead of our own.(like a force field) What gives the Mursaat the ability to use Agony in the first place? I think it was either granted to them by some now unknown or unmentioned god of souls, or some god of that effect. The sacrifices of the chosen on the bloodstones would then give the 3rd effect, along with keeping the door closed and the chosen dead, to pay tribute to the mursaat god.

Finally, the charr. The spells and skills we use ingame are granted by the Gods correct? That would assume that whatever gods the charr worship give them their skills as well. I believe the charr effigies somehow pay tribute to a Titan god, giving them their abilities. Could it be possible that the Titans themselves (i mean the big, fully formed ones) be a type of god or otherwise extremely powerful force? This is supported by the speculated "war" they had with the mursaat and the fact that most if not all actions in the larger scope of the game are to fullfill the flameseeker prophecies, thus freeing the immensly powerful titans. Also in greek mythololgy the titans were created/arrived before the gods. Is it possible that the titans were some enemy of the gods, locked away and ousted from power?
    Well, the gods gave magic to all the races of Tyria, whether or not they realized who did it, is not mentioned. It never said a specific god gave a specific magic to a specific race, it only says all the races were granted all the magics.

I like your theory on the Jade Armors. We know that Mursaat tend to be frail in battle, I'd say the Jades are some sort of crystallized form of Mursaat consciousness, impossed on a form which is more resilent and can fight better than the Mursaat. I don't think they have a sense of self-awareness, like the Mursaat do, but are simply conduits for the Mursaat's power.

One thing about the temples of the old gods. In PvP you do relic runs. First relic run map is called "Dark Chambers." In here you either give offerings to Balthazar or Grenth. The map structure like an ancient dig, with pits and all. I think that's why all the Balthazar and Grenth temples you see around Tyria are all dark and gloomy.
    The second relic run map is called "Sacred Temples." In here you either give offerings to Dwayna or Lyssa. This is the last golden map before the Hall of Heroes. It surely explains why the temple of Lyssa in the Mineral Springs is so lit up, and not dark at all. I have not found a temple of Dwayna anywhere. If it exists, I figure it'll be well lit and full of light.

Snarglesnarfle
    Thatís a good idea and it led me to this.

What if the Mursaat have different stages of life. (Think butterfly- caterpillar cocoon, butterfly.). This also may explain the enchanted armors in the desert. Like the caterpillar, Mursaat may have started as walking in dark "shells." When they ascended they left their shells in the desert and the forgotten used them for protection. Meanwhile, the Mursaat cover themselves in Jade (like a cucoon), unable to use magic, until they finish their transformation, when they can use their powers.

I know kind of discredits the mammal theory, but maybe this crazy idea it what happens.

I think the Jades are simply automatons created by the Mursaats to engage in combat. If I am not mistaken the Bloodstones contain the ultimate secrets of magic. The Mursaats haven been taking advantage of them for years and would have naturally learned advanced arcane art to create these fearless constructs.

About Janthir...I dont think im allowed to link to it, but guildwiki tells us that "Janthir is a sacred island of the White Mantle"
    No idea where they got this info, but apprently, from the same site, "Saul D'Alessio brought the artifact from the Island of Janthir where it is said that the inhabitants posses the gift of True Sight and that the artifact possesses a fraction of this power. "
    Janthir = Home of Mursatt?
    I dont know, see what you guys can do with this.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Quote Originally Posted by nidy
    About Janthir...I dont think im allowed to link to it, but guildwiki tells us that "Janthir is a sacred island of the White Mantle"
    No idea where they got this info, but apprently, from the same site, "Saul D'Alessio brought the artifact from the Island of Janthir where it is said that the inhabitants posses the gift of True Sight and that the artifact possesses a fraction of this power. "
    Janthir = Home of Mursatt?
    I dont know, see what you guys can do with this.
    Hey, that's cool. While you can't necessarily post offlinked sites, I have a suggestion for sharing your information.

You may have noticed I often use [] or () at the end of my quotes. These are known as parenthetical citations, and are used when citing a source.

If you simply copy and paste the article or aspects from the article here, and use parenthetical citations to give credit to the proper source, it elimates the problem of having to offlink.

I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with MLA format for source citing, but that is where I am getting this from. For information from GuildWiki, simply copy and paste your quote, then put [GuildWiki, "Name of Article"] as your citation. Problem solved.