PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

IWAY - the upcoming nerf

Well, it's widely suspected that IWAY will get nerfed huge. The problem is, most experienced players know for a fact that the skill IWAY its self is not overpowered, just over used. I myself cannot think of any way a heavy nerf won't make this skill completely and utterly useless. I think that even removing pets and minions from this skill will obliterate it. So I was thinking, maybe it could use a change, rather than a nerf.

My idea would be to base the recharge rate on the number of dead allies avenged. This would remove any possibility for any warrior to keep IWAY live 100% of the time. It would also allow a warrior to have more time under IWAY when running a balanced type group.

Keep IWAY exactly the same, and change the recharge to:
    For each dead ally avenged, the recharge rate will be 20 seconds.

So with 1 dead ally, the warrior would have 10 seconds under the skill, and 10 seconds of recharge. With the case of an IWAY group, the 4 dead pets would allow 40 seconds of IWAY, but it would take 40 seconds to recharge after the skill wore out, rather than it being ready to go right away.

Thoughts?

I agree, this would be a nice way of changing the skill, but with all the talk of "pet abuse" coming from ANet's representative, The Frog, they will probably just change the description from "For each dead ally" to "For each dead party member".

My opinion...

Removing pets from the ally list leaves IWAY to be useful, I use it without a pet in small arena quite effectively. You just won't see it in 8v8, there are many, many skills you don't see in 8v8.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed Arcanist
    Removing pets from the ally list leaves IWAY to be useful, I use it without a pet in small arena quite effectively. You just won't see it in 8v8, there are many, many skills you don't see in 8v8.

Yes, that is my point exactly. I also use IWAY frequently in the arena, it can be effective, but the recharge is too long for a single ally. By changing the recharge like that, IWAY would continue to be a viable skill in 8v8, would make it more useful in the arena PvE and balanced 8v8 builds while killing the traditional IWAY build.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxed
    Yes, that is my point exactly. I also use IWAY frequently in the arena, it can be effective, but the recharge is too long for a single ally. By changing the recharge like that, IWAY would continue to be a viable skill in 8v8, would make it more useful in the arena PvE and balanced 8v8 builds while killing the traditional IWAY build.
    While reducing the recycle would certainly make IWAY stronger, there are many, many skills that suffer this fate and many were changed to have this fate in the passed few months. Mesmer inspiration skills dealing with energy draining/gaining. No matter what they do to IWAY I am rather confident they will give it no offset benefit to compensate. This from Anet's past record when it comes to "nerfing" skills. Cripple it enough it goes unused seems to be their motto.

My friend makes wonderful use of it in the Ice Flows while slogging through the mursaat with henchies. Henchies vs. Mursaat = very nice IWAY fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    My friend makes wonderful use of it in the Ice Flows while slogging through the mursaat with henchies. Henchies vs. Mursaat = very nice IWAY fodder.
    LOL I did the same thing about a week ago when "running" a friend to Grotto. We fought our way and I made sure to bring IWAY.

I'm pretty sure the change will just be that it's used on Party Members only.

Which can still be quite good in many situations.

Will it be a leading 8v8 skills? Likely not. Then again, when your team is starting to get wiped (happens all the time, and warriors are not usually the first down!), having the regen to last and the attack power boost to slay ghostly can be useful.

In PvE it's indeed very good with henchies. And in 4v4 it's pretty nice too.

I honestly think it's too good as it is currently. And since minions are likely to become even more popular with Faction (New necro elite giving a corpse, Rt, etc) it might become too good. Imagine a couple of minions and use Signet of Creation (likely a couple of Death Novas too). 30 sec later, they all die at same time, leaving something like 8-10 corpses. IWAY will last loooong then.

You can't just think of IWAY as of how it's used in the current IWAY team, but also as of how it can potentially be abused in the future. The current IWAY only shows a possibility of abuse, but leaving it working on allies just opens to potentially more abuse builds when there are more minions, signet of creation, etc. It's important to think ahead for ANet too. It's hard to balance a game with nearly 1000 skills all being mixed together, and if they don't want to have to nerf skills every week because of 'abuse' founds, they have to try to prevent any chance of abuse coming out of a certain skill as much as possible.

Sometimes i agree it resulted in overnerf (Ether Renewal, Energy Tap, Energy Drain... they're all destroyed) but overall you lose only very few skills to have a very great game that is impressively balanced overall and nothing is truly abusable and counterless.

I think knowing the history of nerfs like this, IWAY will not trigger on pets or npcs. And cost 15 energy. And take 60 seconds to recharge. And who knows maybe even cause exhaustion...

The skill will never be used again odds are when you can't use it on pets, or npc henchmen. If IWAY does not effect pets, there is no way it will effect minion bodies.

Even if the skill itself is nerfed it will continuely be played