PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Distortion Nerf

Distortion Nerf

Does anyone else think the call for a nerf to distortion a bit much?

Distortion is only effective against physical attacks, not including Rng preps, and is one of our best survival skills in PvP. Signet of Midnight is good, but it takes an elite spot and condition removal is too good atm. Then there's Imagined Burden and Crippling Anguish. Both being hexes, one is an elite while the other costs 15 mana and has a 30 sec recast.

Its funny how all these Warriors are crying nerf Distortion while protesting that the lietenent's Helm is fair game. Mesmers only have one self heal (ether feast) and our armor, except Rogue's, is no better than an Ele's.

Idk how many of you remember the big nerf we took 7 months ago. Pretty much many of the great Mes builds including the old E-denial, Fragility, multi target shutdown using diversion, and major hexing builds that used Mantra of Persistance were severly gimped. While I understand the need for those changes, they were too drastic. If we were nerfed any further, Mes would be a dead class.

GWOnline.Net Member
    duh, warriors won't stop until the mesmer class is nerfed into the ground.

i agree, and i play ranger mes!!!!!

Please don't spark this debate up again, your too young to the forum but such disscuion at the time was bad.

Furthermore. let us not get to complaining about something that hasn't even happened.

Funny how they all say mesmers suck but then steal all our skills and then cry nerf about it :S But I wouldnt mind if ANet changed the energy lost. They should make it lose 2 energy at illusion 8 and lose 1 at 10 or something like that.

Aikawa

Excuse me, Im uncertain by what you mean when you posted "your too young to the forum but such disscuion at the time was bad."

I see that you what you are saying about it not happening yet, but with all the nerf posts and threads, I feel that efforts must be made to protect the skill from being rendered useless. I have yet to see an update reversed and prefer have he skill still usable instead of waiting another 6 months for it to be fixed.

FYI, even though I have not posted a 1,000 posts and do not post in every thread I read, it doesnt mean I have not been around. I prefer to comment when I feel I have something to add rather to make my presence known. Quality over quantity, I always say. If being "old" means spamming posts in every topic thread and category, then yes, I am young.

Its funny how all these Warriors are crying nerf Distortion while protesting that the lietenent's Helm is fair game. Mesmers only have one self heal (ether feast) and our armor, except Rogue's, is no better than an Ele's.
    duh, warriors won't stop until the mesmer class is nerfed into the ground.
    I hate comments like this. This is PvP, where in most cases you play what your team needs, not any one class. Acting like the people asking for nerfs are "Warriors" is ridiculous, and makes it hard to take you seriously.
    Idk how many of you remember the big nerf we took 7 months ago. Pretty much many of the great Mes builds including the old E-denial, Fragility, multi target shutdown using diversion, and major hexing builds that used Mantra of Persistance were severly gimped. While I understand the need for those changes, they were too drastic. If we were nerfed any further, Mes would be a dead class.
    There have not been any balance changes in the entire time I've played the game, but if this is the Mesmer class after a serious nerf, I can't imagine how imbalanced it must have been before. Especially if e-denial/Diversion--which are almost ubiquitous in GvG--were even stronger.

Making Mesmers a "dead class" in PvP would be hard. Very hard. As a primary class, there are many viable builds, and even among those builds theres a lot of variation. If they killed a few key skills in anything Domination-based (which most are), for example, it would be easy to replace them, because there are always a ton of "almost as good" skills for any build.

I'd like to see the weaker aspects of the class buffed, but Mesmers are in no danger of becoming uselesss, and imo have much fewer balance/design issues than most classes.

I don't often play builds that run Distortion, but when I have my impression is something like "cool, I'm immortal, and immune to most disruption!". I dunno. I think what bothers me is that I can turn it on almost anytime I want, but since how stances work is unlikely to change I'll go with increasing the attribute req.

Quote Originally Posted by Awcasper
    Excuse me, Im uncertain by what you mean when you posted "your too young to the forum but such disscuion at the time was bad."

Tsume's post In the:

State of the Mesmer, post 9/29 nerf
    thread.

Sort of summaries the event... directly after the particlar nerf... very very bad times for this forum.

There are various flame threads over running the community forums at the moment, over the pending rebalance... I would just hate it to spill into these forums again over unfounded fear .

Though people seem to be happy to see this skills attributes realigned to increase the -1 energy req...

distortion like mantra of resolve...both have such low requirements for them to be useful to any OTHER class.

thats the issue i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyador
    I hate comments like this. This is PvP, where in most cases you play what your team needs, not any one class. Acting like the people asking for nerfs are "Warriors" is ridiculous, and makes it hard to take you seriously.

There have not been any balance changes in the entire time I've played the game, but if this is the Mesmer class after a serious nerf, I can't imagine how imbalanced it must have been before. Especially if e-denial/Diversion--which are almost ubiquitous in GvG--were even stronger.

Making Mesmers a "dead class" in PvP would be hard. Very hard. As a primary class, there are many viable builds, and even among those builds theres a lot of variation. If they killed a few key skills in anything Domination-based (which most are), for example, it would be easy to replace them, because there are always a ton of "almost as good" skills for any build.

I don't often play builds that run Distortion, but when I have my impression is something like "cool, I'm immortal, and immune to most disruption!". I dunno. I think what bothers me is that I can turn it on almost anytime I want, but since how stances work is unlikely to change I'll go with increasing the attribute req.
    "This is PvP, where in most cases you play what your team needs, not any one class." That goes w/o saying... idk where that came from since we are discussing Distortion. Oh, and I play every class w/ limited experience on Necro besides Blood Spiking and Anti-war based on SS.
    About who is calling for a nerf in Distortion, I don't see any Crippling Rng, Ele Spiker, or Hex stacking Necro crying that Distortion is making it too hard to kill me.
    Taking me seriously or not is completely up to you. Heck, Ill even wear big red shoes and juggle for your amusment if you'd like.

If you have played Mesmer before and after the big patch, you would know the difference in the changes. I have been playing Mes when 8 Air Spikers were the norm in GvG. Diversion was too powerful. Energy Tap and Energy Drain was nerfed because other classes would simply use Mes secondary and still be able to do E-denial. Mesmers were stronger then, but not overpowered.

So many viable builds? Name them. Are they worth taking up a spot on an eight man team? So, if Energy Surge, Signet of Weariness, Blackout, and Watrel's Worry of the Domination line were all nerfed, what would take their places?

You think Distortion makes you invicible? 80% of my Mes builds uses distortion since there are so many warriors and no other mes skill comes as close to saving my bacon, but it is far from making me immortal. It only applies to physical dmg, it doesnt protect from Rng preps or vamp weapons.

If it were to be changed, the points required should be increased to prevent non Mes primaries from using a great skill for so little invested.

Yes, Ju, I was there when that was going on and even before that. I still remember Arrendondo, Nobleman Azure and other spitting fire after the unexpected update. Can't say I didn't agree with them. I left the game because of it.

**edit in response to Ju**
    Last edited by Awcasper; 23-02-2006 at 06:50.